main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Lets petition the cinemas for Digital Projection

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by hokanu, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hokanu

hokanu Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2002
    Hi Everyone

Australia is well known for taking up new technology faster than most countries around the world, but here we are at Episode II and we do not have a SINGLE digital cinema in the country.

We're not going to get any unless we really push for it.

I say we use our collective might and start pushing now so we can see Episode III the way we should be able to see Episode II.

Here's the details for writing to the various cinena HQs:

Greater Union / Birch Carroll & Coyle
    49 Market St
    Sydney NSW 2000

Village Cinemas
    1 Garden St
    South Yarra VIC 3141

Hoyts Cinemas
    505 George St
    Sydney NSW 2000

Feel free to add other contact info.

Might help if the various fan chapters out there pushed as well (you may already be doing so).

Cheers everybody

http://www.geocities.com/hokanu2002/

2. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    There's a petition online from the Jeditalk guys that talks about the benefits of digital cinema. One big point is that we have digital HOME cinema, but nothing out there for the masses. Why do we have to wait till a movie is on DVD to see it as the filmakers intended?

Crystal Clear Picture: Honestly the only way I can describe it is watch a 71 foot DVD.
    Film Degrades quality as it get played Digital does not: If you can?t see a movie on premier night you are seeing one that has got dust on it, the film has decreased in quality. But digital never does that.

Costs to distribute the film: The movie studios currently pay 1.3 billion dollars a year to print and send out their films. If those moneys were freed up, the studios would have the choice of using those funds to give new scripts a chance, would they do it? That is up to them. But we as movie fans should give them the opportunity to do so.

Smaller screenings: Some films don?t get shown at theaters because the cost to put them on a screen is very high, and the process to put a film on screen takes hours to set up. However, with a digital projector, the theater could easily switch between movies, therefore they could have a screen that shows an independent movie once a day and switches to another movie at the next showing. Giving the independent filmmakers out there a way to showcase movies and give anyone a chance to see them. Let be honest there are some great stories out there that we are missing because of this, and I for one want to see them.

-- http://da.radioevolution.com/

Just as a side note, I went to the premiere of AotC at a cinema in Brisbane and the print was already damaged. It's about time we got digital cinema here. I for one would definitely support it.

3. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Cinemas themselves are campaigning for studios to fund the installation of the projecters at the moment. The machines are extremily expensive (upward of $300000 I believe), it would take a long time to recoup a decent amount from installing them.

The big saving would come for studios and distributers that won't have shop reels of film from overseas anymore. So the theatre owners themselves are trying to get them to foot the bill.

Hopefully a happy medium will come before long. Well three years anyway.

4. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Sil, in what way was your print damaged?

5. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Didn't you see the ghosted images on the bottom of the frame for a few seconds? It got really annoying.

6. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    You can start an online petition and send them all to those addresses... (Petition Online)

7. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    You were in a different screening room to me, Sil, so the prints were obviously different. I saw no flaws with ours.

8. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Don't talk about ghosted images...I had the word DIGITAL ghost over the entire screen for about thirty seconds, during the appearance of the Jedi Starfighter no less. I missed the hyperdrive ring's grand entrance! :(

EDIT: Uh, moral of the story is: digital film = good, ghost of word "digital" = bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.