main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Let's put our heads together....... (The Arena's Improvement and Suggestion Thread)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    ....and come up with some contests/Sports trivia /etc. for the Sports Forum.

A lot of us are coming into winter break from school, and others just have more time to be lazy on the interwebs this time of year. Let's have some fun, by competing in some e-contests of sport!

Everyone post ideas in here, ObiWan, Dork, and Integral can participate in the discussion, and perhaps we can come up with some ideas to submit for approval. :)

2. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hopefully The Arena will get the next JCC top 100...

Anyway, a trivia contest could work, especially if you rotated around different sports eg. Football, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Cricket etc., a bit like how The Shelf of Shame in the Amph rotates between Books, Music and Films.

3. RealMadrid

RealMadrid Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 28, 2005
    I would love to run/sponsor a sports trivia contest! I usually rule at sports trivia(without the cheating use of the intarwebnets) however I could make up a trivia contest a la Who wants to be a million colors in the JCC that would be tough enough for even people using teh google.

EDIT: I would love to get the approval of the mods, but I would willingly host a trivia contest that we could use here in the Arena to generate some interest in our new forum!

EDIT2: *puts head together against Juli's* OW! :_|

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    A trivia contest would be fun, whether or not its run in the same manner as the other contests (and my vote there would be to come up with a new format).

As for something different, maybe have a set of questions that have been written by at least a couple people, both American and international, and the bottom 1 or 2 scores are eliminated in each round, as opposed to having one question at a time.

I'm not sure how to work something like this in, but it would be neat to have categories somehow, like a particular sport as a specialty or something... though I don't know if thats feasible. Probably not.

5. RealMadrid

RealMadrid Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 28, 2005
    I have a couple of ideas. I could do something that was like the game show Jeopardy!, where trivia questions are worth dollar/point amounts and the winner would be the person who accumulated the most points, and they could potentially win colors a la the YJCC version of Who wants to be a million colors. Or I could volunteer to run an Arena based Who wants to be a million colors with the same game dynamics, although with the internet search capabilities out there, it might make it not so fun for those who just want lighter/easier sports trivia to have fun with. So, we could use the format of Who wants to be a million colors game in YJCC and just adapt it for sports trivia instead of general knowledge type trivia. Or we could use the Jeopardy! style of points based game where different questions are worth different amounts of points. I tend to prefer this type of trivia game more just because I think that in the end of Who wants to be a million colors, it comes down to a random guess of who is closer to the number selected by the game host and that makes winning somewhat anti-climactic. Plus, as those who have seen the game show Jeopardy! before, there are MANY different categories of trivia, and the possibilities are endless. On a given round of Jeopardy!, the categories across the board could be LOL @ Arsenal, NBA All-Star Game, MVPs, The National Pastime, Tight Ends, and The Record Book. This is a small sampling of categories where the questions would be about footie relating to LOLing @ Arsenal, the NBA, different sports MVPs, baseball, football, and sports records. I've watched enough Jeopardy! and know enough trivia and good sources to come up with trivia questions, that this would be lots of fun.

EDIT: I've also got tons of sources already for trivia questions, some obscure, some relatively easy. I'll keep brainstorming and trying to come up with ways to make a super-fun trivia game for the Arena. :)

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm glad to see this thread.

I'd like to see a trivia contest on the lines of how they do it in SFF:FT, where you sign up, work in pairs, and then the series/movie (in this case sport) is announced.

I have a ton of ideas for an Arena-based JCC 100 list, so I imagine that at some point in time, we'll get one of those. Just not sure what the pecking order is. :p

I'd also like to see some variations on that, and I think you'll see some of those popping up soon.

7. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    :(

I had the idea for a JCC top 100 type list for the Arena a couple weeks back, just wasn't sure if only mods could make that type of stuff.(Since they probably have to check to make sure socks aren't voting)

8. Jello4Prez

Jello4Prez Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2006
    I've been talking with the mods for a bit about a couple of different games I would like to see started.

Ideas I've thrown around with them include:

An official Pick 'em contest (NFL Predictions), we might even be able to make that happen for all the major sports, playoffs at least...

Also, we've discussed a game like the Villian, Starwars character, videogame character tournaments, only with players from one sport at a time...

9. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    If by that you mean a tournament like is done in Census (nominate, knock-out voting tier, etc) I think that would be a great thing to have! Examples would be like Favourite Tennis Player, Favourite Cricket Player, Favourite Swimmer etc etc etc which I'm sure you already know. That would have people definitely coming here every day (or so) and is a fun way to see people's favourites. :D

10. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I think an athlete draft type thing would be awesome.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    For that matter, it would be possible to do fantasy leagues.. don't know if we'd want that or not, though.

12. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Yea Tyi, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

I have been thinkng about both the Athlete Draft and the Fantasy League things, but I'm not sure if those would work too well...

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This is kind of on topic, but I've put together a JC Bowl Pick'em on ESPN, only a few in so far, PM me for info if you're interested.

These types of things would be cool to do in the future as a group. Just my two cents. [face_peace]

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Awesome PRENN, I'd love to see something like it. I'll be on the lookout, definitely, and if there's anything I can help with I'll jump at the opportunity.

15. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    A game in the arena would be pretty cool and it is a good time to start one in my view. :)

It would be great if the game isn't only based on the big sports. For me it is more interesting when there are lots of different sports involved.

Maybe a game about a current RL competition (ie. skiing) would be nice. For example: There's a run at the next day and we can give out suggestions who will win. If the player is right, he'll get points and the winner is the one who get the most points after a certain amount of time/competitions or so.

(It would be pretty cool, if SW gets involved a little bit. :) )

16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I wanted to up this, to get some feedback on some things we've done in The Arena so far, and to get some ideas on where to go from here.

We've had one completed trivia game (Jeopardy), that has gone on a rotation basis with at least one other game. We've had one completed prognostication game (NFL Playoffs), and we currently have two of those up (NCAA March Madness and Cricket World Cup), as well as a get lucky and win type of quick game.

I'd like honest feedback on the games and contests up to this point. Is there a desire for more? For less? Are there upcoming events that need a prognostication game (for colors)? Would there be interest in an NFL Draft contest? NBA Playoffs? Stanley Cup Playoffs? (I appologize for being US-centric, but that's what I know ... if I'm overlooking anything non-US, suggest it).

Would official Arena Fantasy leagues interest anyone?

Would having a favorite athelte tournament interest anyone?

Is there a huge piece of the puzzle that the Arena is missing that you're waiting to tell us about?

17. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    I was thinking of an Arena Fantasy League as well Integral, and a favorite sports player tournament seems almost a given in a Sports Forum.

In short, I fully support both ideas.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    What kind of fantasy leagues are you talking about? I like the idea, but it would be easy to really have too many of these going on, IMO, and I think its better not to have too many games and such going on at the same time, hence the rotation idea.

I do like the idea of a favorite sports player tournament, perhaps that can go in a rotation along with the ATHFL and Jeopardy. I'd be willing to help organize something like that, though I'd probably need help on certain sports.

Games are good, but they need to be kept at some kind of limit, and stay secondary to the discussion, I would say.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Now checking for interest in:

Arena Power Rankings.

Basically, I'd set up a sock to take in votes, and The Arena patrons would send in votes (and comments) and we'd do power rankings. No need to participate every week, no need to participate in every sport. I'm thinking we'd do it for the following sports:

• NBA

• NHL

• NFL

• MLB

• College Football

• College Basketball

Basically, you'd cast ballots once per week. Probably rank all the teams in the pro sports, and do a top 25 in the college sports. I'll put them together, and we'll discuss how The Arena as a community ranks the teams we watch.

So, is there enough interest?

20. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'd be interested, if I knew what the hell you just said. :p

I'd also like to add that I'm currently working on an Arena "Hottie Wars" to be run much like the one in the JCC is. I want it to include both male and female athletes, and any familiar faces hat may be involved in sports, be it reporters, coaches, broadcasters, etc.

I need a partner that would be interested in helping me out. I don't want this thread to really objectify men or women, I just think it'd be fun to have a "Who's more attractive to you?" kind of thread.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm definitely interested, and actually tried setting something like that up for college football earlier... didn't get a whole lot of interest, but maybe an official version will do better.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm thinking it's probably going to be easiest (for me, especially, but also to build interest) to start with one sport at a time. In light of that, how do we feel about starting it out this week with NBA Power Rankings?

For those still unsure, this is what you'd do. I'd set a deadline to get votes in (say, Wednesday). Anyone wishing to participate would PM me with their rankings of NBA teams from 1-30. The team you rank first gets thirty points, second gets 29, and so on, with your 30th ranked team getting 1 point. I add up all those points, and publish the rankings, along with a quote from the PMed rankings about each team. Then, we can use it to debate the teams.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Thats probably the best way to do it. Start with NBA, then after that season is over, MLB will be starting up, so it could transition from NBA to MLB then (or even wait a week, possibly). By the time football comes around the premise will be well established and thus it'll be easier to start.

I'm not sure exactly when the NHL season ends, so I'm not sure if it would be worth trying to work it in between NBA and MLB, but my inclination is that it wouldn't be for more than a week or two at most, and might not be worth it - just start it up with the beginning of next season.

24. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I like it, although I won't really be able to particiapte because of lack of knowledge (although I might be able to for the NBA)

25. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    The people who follow the respective leagues enough to rank all of the teams every week will be the ones who are already heavily participating in the official season threads though. Probably won't foster much new discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.