main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Let's put our heads together....... (The Arena's Improvement and Suggestion Thread)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Well in that case, I'd be happy to host it, although ASG has a good point that an international co-host would be good to have, because I could at least competently host something to do with the NBA or MLB. I wouldn't have the first clue about where to start with soccer.

I'm going to be in a hotel in San Francisco the next four days for work, so I might not be around that much, but if anyone has any ideas for the thread or wants to be a co-host, please PM them to me, I think this could be a good thread.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I like that idea. A Hall of Fame thread, particularly talking about whether players should be in the HOF or not, would be quite good, IMO.

And I just got back from vacation, should be ready to start that other thread before the end of the week. Maybe a little sooner.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    We've talked about it in the past, but with College Football right around the corner, is there still interest in putting together an Arena Top 25? And is there a user willing to "host" the thread, compile the votes, post the results each week, and other stuff?

4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I'd be willing to do that, if I had some help on putting the deal together (like drawing up a system and stuff), since it's the first time we'd be doing something like that.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    PRENN ... any success putting this together? I'd like to get it up soon and maybe get pre-season rankings out.

I was hoping you'd just use the basic system: 25 points for a first place vote, 24 points for second place vote, ... , 2 points for a 24th place vote, 1 point for a 25th place vote, zero points for unranked teams.

Then, just input, add up, and publish weekly results.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Hopefully that thread will work out, no need to use a complicated system, 25 -> 1 makes the most sense. If people only want to do a top 10, then they can just send that much in, though a full 25 is definitely preferable.

The thread I started this summer for debates didn't do well, but I'll probably try to revive it soon and see if it gets any interest this time around.

7. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    make more games like the March Madness game where a team was given to you and if they won you got colors. You could do that with perhaps the UEFA Champions League. A 32 team tournament

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm not all that familiar with that, but if you can PM me an opening post I'll look it over. Or perhaps Kypt can weight in ... he's the non-US sports mod here. :p

9. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Chess boxing, FTW!

Anyway, I'll work on the OP tonight or tomorrow, Inty. I just got back from camp, but I'll have some time tomorrow to do it. Expect a PM.

10. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    UEFA could definately work - but I think the 16 team knockout stage would be a better place to have the draw.

A sweeps system could work for one off events as well (eg. Kentucky Derby, Melbourne Cup etc.)

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Also, for a quickish thought-free chance to win 24 hours of colors, we could assign every player an NFL team, and the last one to lose a regular season game would win. If these types of "games" would really generate excitement around here.

12. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I call the Cowboys!!! :)

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I call Redskins!

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Can I make a motion that users be assigned to the archrival of their favorite team, or as close as possible? Or would that be covered by the eighth amendment?

You have to admit, it would be highly amusing.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And then, if they win, they have to use the colors of their assigned team?

Edit: Prenn has informed me that he cannot host the Arena's Top 25 rankings. Anyone else willing to host?

16. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    :eek::mad:[face_beatup]

17. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    In case people have missed it, we have a US Open Sweep going on here. It's nice an easy, and you really don't have to do anything to win.

18. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    DarthIntegral posted: Edit: Prenn has informed me that he cannot host the Arena's Top 25 rankings. Anyone else willing to host?

I'll be the host if you give me the general run down of how you would like it to be run, the rules, etc.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Motion seconded.

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'd say I like Inty's suggestion that went with it, but it would probably come back and bite me later when it got used in another sport, so I won't say that. I like it as an NFL-only suggestion, though. O:)

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    But you'd look great in Clemson colors.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'd rather be gamebanned than have orange colors.

Why do you think I hate halloween around here? Crazy color schemes hurt my eyes.

23. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Looking for a couple of things

24. The NBA tournament has been over for a while, and I'm looking to start a new one soon. Gridiron/Football is the next on the list, and since the season is in progress it makes sense. However, my limited knowledge of the sport and its players means I'm at a disadvantage. So I'm looking for a responsible user to run it - collating and distributing the nominations and keeping score. Anyone who's interested can PM me.

25. It's also been a while since we've had a sweeps contest for colours. My next choice, the Champions League, won't be finalised for a couple of months, so if anyone has an idea for one that will be over in the next month please post it

27. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I was thinking about doing a College Bowls sweeps game. Winner is the team that scores the most points or wins by the largest margin. Just pull all the teams playing in a bowl, and let people sign up by numbers, and randomly assign them.

28. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    There should definitely be something with the bowl games.

Either random like Inty was talking about or you let us pick the winners of the games and tie breaker would be to pick the score of the championship game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.