main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Let's say there was a big twist with the SACRIFICE [Spoilers, of course]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Thanos6, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    This is something that just came to me. What if DR had decided to make the first four books in LotF one giant feint?

Betrayal through Exile remain mostly as they are...but then, in Sacrifice, we find out the deeper game Lumiya was playing the whole time. Jacen was never intended to be the new Sith Lord at all. He was intended to be the Sacrifice. Lumiya had to get close enough to the boy to like him, truly be sorry he had to die, so that the Sacrifice thing would work. She kills Jacen; she's been a Dark Lady for decades, of course, but for her, this ritual "amps" her power to the level it would be if not for her cyborgization and lets her hover around the Palpatine/Exar Kun of truly bad*** Sith. At the same time she uses her nifty Force Illusion power to basically live Jacen's life, usurp his place in the GAG, so she can do a semi-Palpatine and 1) hide in plain sight and 2) have access to the most paramilitary force in the galaxy. And this sets up the last four books in the series.

Mind you, I haven't gotten much sleep, and in the morning this may sound really stupid...or not. Thoughts?

2. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Could never happen- because that's actually an interesting storyline, and therefore would never be published by Del Rey.

3. Havoc_Wing

Havoc_Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2006
    For the love of all that is holy, don't turn this into another 'WE HATE DEL REY' thread...

--HW

4. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I'd say that it's too complicated for DR - not because "they are stupid", but because it would "demand too much of the readers". If anything, Sacrifce is proof that the first four books weren't a feint, we're getting exactly the obvious thing.

I think I wouldn't like your version. A bit too much "insanely shocking revelation" based on too little build-up. It's like saying that Alema hasn't died the last four times that she died, or that Jacen wasn't really the hero of the NJO, or like extrapolating that Vergere had been receiving Sith training by Palpatine from the fact that she had a different view on the force when she came back after fifty years from where no-one had gone before. Oh wait.

Besides, I can't imagine how you could read your story into the novel, as it ends with Jacen's in-character thoughts...?

5. crazythorn

crazythorn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2007
    I think the biggest twist we're likely to get out of Del Rey is "the tassels all refer to Ben."

6. The_Pantless_Wookiee

The_Pantless_Wookiee Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 18, 2007
    That would have been interesting but it really comes from out of nowhere and would confuse a lot of people most likely.

7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Would have been an interesting direction to go in from the beginning, but based on the books we actually got, I'm not sure it would work.

8. Zeroun

Zeroun Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2006
    Unless Lumiya was projecting surface thoughts, just in case someone tried to read/feel his thoughts. :-B

9. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    I'm not saying this IS what happened. I'm saying let's pretend DR had planned this INSTEAD.

10. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Definitely an intriguing 'what if' storyline, although I dont know how well Lumiya would have been embraced as the central antagonist.

11. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I would've enjoyed that, Thanos6 cause I never liked Jacen & all I wanted was for him to die & then he went & killed Mara. I'm not even going to be interested in the next LotF book unless there are multiple confirmed spoilers that Jacen is killed in it. I only hope that every Sith that has died all rise up as Sith spirits & say to him, "WTH? You're some punk kid, not worthy enough to be a Sith Lord. We're going to kill you to save our order of the embarrassment!" Then they all fry him with force lightning until all that's left is a small pile of dust.

Yeah, it would've been very cool if Lumiya had killed him.

12. Randy1012

Randy1012 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2007
    Nah, that would have been too interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.