main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Let's talk about Luke's ROTJ lightsaber in the ST.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by _Sublime_Skywalker_, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

2. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    The toys for Luke's green saber have been out since Force Friday 2015, and there was that behind the scenes photo of the Skywalker saber, Kylo Ren's saber and Luke's ROTJ saber all sitting on a table during production of TFA. That tells me that, at one point, the saber would have appeared on screen, even if it was only on Luke's belt, or perhaps in the flashback.

Either way, go to a toy aisle right now, and you will find the ROTJ saber for sale in all formats, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Lobot_the_Jedi likes this.
  3. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Some people have been hinting that the scenes where Luke brandishes his lightsaber didn't look right so they reshot said scenes without it. I personally hope we do see it once or twice. Love his hero ROTJ saber and it looks good with the different emitter in that TFA behind the scenes screen cap.

4. MichaelSkellig

MichaelSkellig Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2017
    I think there's a good chance he'll grab the saber from Rey, hurl it into the ocean and snarl "Hope you can swim good" as he stomps past her.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    IMO if we go thru all of TLJ and don't see Luke even at least ignite his lightsaber the whole time, I will see that as probably the biggest missed opportunity in SW. But I guess with him having such an important role, I'd be surprised if the producers/Rian would not have been well aware of that fact.

Unless we see it in Episode IX, which is a whole nother topic...

6. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    I'd fire the director before I would let that happen. If you can't shoot a scene of Luke Skywalker using a lightsaber, perhaps directing action films just isn't for you ...

:):):)

Darth Smurf likes this.
  7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015

[​IMG]

9. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    I thought the three smileys might have indicated that I was kidding. Did I need a fourth?

10. Darth_Batman89

Darth_Batman89 Jedi Padawan

Apr 15, 2017
    I had always thought that Luke's green saber was partially handed down to him from Obi Wan. That is was originally Qui Gonna Jinns saber.

11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    My one is just on top of yours ;)

SaintKenobi1322 likes this.
  12. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Luke built it partially out of parts he found at Obi's place on Tatooine so you're kind of right. It had nothing to do with Qui-Gon's though. Not to the best of my knowledge anyway.

13. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    I liked the head canon/fan theory that Luke at least used the green crystal from Jinn's saber but built the rest himself. It is of note that the ROTJ saber looks so similar to Kenobi's, as seen in my avatar. :)

14. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Is this Luke's saber in Kylo's left hand?

If so then maybe Luke doesn't have his green saber in TLJ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    I might be wrong but I think we went through this a couple of years back on here and after much discussion and staring too long at blue ray footage most agreed that it was just his glove.

16. SithCollections

SithCollections Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 5, 2015
    I would like to see the lightsaber ignite unstable from age and battle damage....like kylos cracked crystal....sparking and fiery green energy

17. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    When will more toys (for example the green lightsaber, assuming it's in this movie) be released? I just feel like there really hasn't been much released yet...I mean yeah, lots of stuff, but nothing that reveals any unknowns about the movie. I don't follow toy releases so I'm not familiar with this.

18. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Probably because they don’t want to reveal those unknowns about the movie...

19. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    I thought that was in the trailer, but the scene in the film itself was cut so you couldn't see it, almost as if RJ had by that point finished the script and needed Luke to have it.

If there's just one piece of fan service in the film, then I hope the green sabre is it.

Wildcatbarry and Django Fett like this.