main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's talk about sexism.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I almost tried making this thread once before, but it's been on my mind lately as I was researching incomes in my field of men vs. women and whatnot. Since I know there's a lot of ladies on these boards, and sexist stuff is pretty abundant here and often accepted by the wimmen themselves, I thought it might bring up a decent discussion. I suppose right now I'm mostly just curious about workplace situations, if you've had to deal with sexist coworkers/bosses and how you dealt with it. I don't have any experience so I have no input lulz.

/can of worms

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Since sometimes you make threads that appear serious but actually that's not what you're meaning I am asking before I take the time to make a post. Are you asking for serious info or is this something to turn into a hilarious JCC thread?

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Why can't it be both?

Anyway, I think the most blatant sexism I've had to deal with was during an orientation several years ago. I was the only female present. We took a tour of the place, and everybody made it a point to open the door for me. At first, it came across as politeness, but after several times, it became really obnoxious and obvious that I was being passively singled out. It was a bizarre experience.

I've also dealt with differences in pay... I was hired for significantly less pay than the male I was replacing.

Sith-Lord-Gunray and Rogue_Ten like this.
  5. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    If she, herself, doesn't want a serious answer then I have no intention of writing one. I'd rather just read and laugh at the funnies if that is the case.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Well I posted it in yjcc because I want non senate answers but yes I do want seriousness.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I like my workplace. Well, in terms of lack of sexism. I hear about sexism-- from relatively minor to mind-numbingly awful-- from women I know who work elsewhere and obviously I hear about things such as Bob Filner's Grope-y Kissy Fun Time, but I don't recall an instance at my workplace. Sure, I'm a man and obviously don't tend to be a target so maybe I don't notice it, but I'd like to think I'm sensitive to such things. The only offensive thing I remember hearing is a guy from another department ranting about people passing bad checks being gypsies-- first and only time I've heard an American express hatred of gypsies (many aren't even aware that it refers to a distinct ethnicity).

In fact, women outnumber men in my office and my boss is a woman and... hey, wait a minute. REVERSE SEXISM. Should I post a thread here or in /r/mensrights?

8. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I just took a zumba class and i was the only boy in the there and the girls kept looking at me weird!

I'm not claiming sexism or anything, because obviously there are way more serious/hurtful cases of it, but it kind of bummed me out and it's my only real experience with this kind of stuff. I wasn't trying to be a creep or anything, I was just trying to find some exercise rather than running. And it was a really fun class! But now I don't want to go again because of all the dirty looks. Which I think is stupid.

If I feel this bummed after something really trivial, I can't imagine how I'd feel after being discriminated against in any serious way. I guess I'm a little more sensitive to this subject now.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

lol do they have women in the senate?

okay, i got in my one-liner, ima get out of the way of this thread. glad this thread got made

Darth Guy likes this.
  10. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I don't think so, fido used to shout all kinds of sexist crap at me because I had a different opinion than him. (specifically he repeatedly used THAT word)

PulsiesAgain and Ender Sai like this.
  11. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Mef it's not letting me edit that last post sorry for the double...but I meant to say that I intended this thread as sexism towards women, not men. I should have specified that in the OP.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    @Obi-Zahn Ken-- never mind. Don't want to take the joke that far.

13. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Can't we just not talk about it and pretend we're progressing as a society? I think that would be better for everyone. Or at least for me.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  14. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

that's good since sexism against women is actually, like, a thing that exists and has a significant impact on society

EDIT: seriously though im gonna shut up now and most of the guys here probably should too for a while so the thread can fulfill its purpose

15. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    As a woman in science I've had my share of experiences with sexism, from sexist jokes from the profs. themselves as an undergrad student all the way grad school, where I know some male PI's that are known for saying that having female grad students is a bad idea. Currently in our department there are less than 10 female faculty members which is nowhere near to the ideal 50%. The majority of these women do not have children but I think that belongs in a different discussion.

Fortunately, I haven't had a brush with blatant sexism recently, so I don't think I will have much to contribute to on this thread.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have a voice within me that says if I were female and someone made me very uncomfortable at work I'd jump up on the spot and throw a fit right in their face in front of everyone.

But, I'm a dude, and have had many female coworkers and sex is not a forbidden topic but not one I ever suspected was so taboo free to take any conversation too far. I recall one girl flat out said to me after a particular position came up, "I love that freaky ****." And that was the end of the coversation, with chuckles.

As a bulk delivery driver I am privvy to many conversations, some they kid with me about and include me to a degree. Regardless of jokes:

1. There are boundries.

2. I have this friendly, harmless face thing and many women will talk openly in front of me. At that point, Rule #1 in full effect.

17. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Last year I was the girls swim coach at my high school and I got paid 50% less than the boys coach. And I do more than him [face_plain]

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'll throw one out here:

It's not anything blatantly horrible or screaming chauvinist by any stretch, but it annoys be like hell when guys begin a sentence with "Don't take this as sexist, but..." or something similar. The rest of the sentence usually follows as "...do women think XYZ?"

I've noticed this question is often asked by younger (<30 yr) nerds. Since I suspect there are a fair number of <30 yr nerds here, my advice is DON'T ASK THAT. Stop watching TV, get out of your basement and go talk to some damn womenz.

(I suspect the same can be said for gals toward guys, although the entertainment industry tends to focus on a far wider variety of men than it does women, which I assume is the cause of these pigeon-holing assessments of one sex toward another)

19. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I work in a kitchen and there is definitely sexist stuff. I am a young girl and most guys think I am cute so they hold open the cooler doors and lift heavy stuff for me.It is nice, however, I don't really see them helping out any male co-workers and it just makes me feel weak.I'd rather do it myself and if I needed help I would rather ask them.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i had my cursor over the word "outnumber" in such a way that it looked like darth guy was saying women cucumber men in his office.

Master_Jacen likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I looked at the thread title and the tag and thought "oh hell."

But srs bsns answer, what bothers me is sort of along the lines of what Barriss_Coffee mentioned. Why the assumption that "all women like X" or that I as a woman would have any idea what the hell other women like?

And in the entertainment industry, the notion that making a fluoride-rinse romance movie will "appeal to the women", when some of us would rather watch Jar-Jar steal apples with his tongue on repeat.

tl;dr Stereotypes are for morons, and I find stereotypes about women particularly annoying.

As far as the workplace, not much there as my profession is female-dominated. But I have noticed an assumption that I'll be good at decorating or meal-planning because I'm a woman.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes ignore the problem and it'll go away.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003

Did you ask about it?

24. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    whenever something needs to be done/fixed my boss always asks my coworker if it's a guy. even if they started working last week and i've been working there for two years.
    i still end up doing it for them, though, since i'm best at it and the guys that i work with always need a few hours to get started on the easiest task.
    but the boss is also shy around wimmens so that could be why he doesn't call me. lol, what a wimp

25. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    When I went to my AP I was told to leave it alone because "that is just how it is, if you don't like it, don't do it next year".