main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's talk about sexism.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I have a severe intellectual disability and am incapable of comprehending sarcasm.

Come on. Admit it. You love hating what I say.

I didn't say that. Just that women aren't systematically oppressed and that otherwise privileged people complaining about that oppression is annoying to me.

And yeah that incident is disgusting. He shouldn't have done that. He should have dealt with it by disciplining the responsible student and being more receptive to the student whose learning environment was disrupted.

But do you care that I said that? No - because that's BORING.

Now an anti-circumcision rant - that'll get your adrenaline pumping and your eyeballs rolling.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Here's a story from back in the day. I think I was in the 4th grade. The school served what they called "disappearing Dog." It was a hot dog wrapped in a tortilla and smothered with green chili (yes, seriously). I was taking a bite out of it, and this boy, Jamie Martinez, made a lewd comment about hot dog, mouth, you get the idea... I got pissed off and threw the food in his face. He immediately got up and told on me. I got sent to the principals office. When I told the principal about what he said to me before I threw the food at him, he told me it didn't matter what he said. Yeah, I get that I was in the wrong for throwing food, but the lewd comment should have been addressed.

//old story.

No... I really don't.

You know what this reminds me of? Like, when a man makes crass remarks at a woman, she expresses disgust, and he says, "Oh you know you want it..." That's what this reminds me of.

3. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Sexual harassment, on the whole, is something that a lot of women have to deal with -- more, I think, than most people are aware of. Not saying that men don't ever experience it, but I don't think it's as permanent a fixture in their minds or lives.

Good-looks are a double-edged sword too. Because while I've seen attractive women's claims of harassment dismissed as it being their fault, I've also seen unattractive women have their concerns dismissed as well -- the "logic" being that they should be "grateful" to get any attention at all. It's a sad state of affairs...

Rew likes this.
  4. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    hahahaHAHAHA, now I did

5. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Your post makes no sense whatsover. There is a difference between sex and gender but the term "sexism" is an umbrella term under which discrimination on the basis of sex or gender sits. Discrimination you might recall is the prejudicial and/or distinguishing treatment of an individual based upon their actual or perceived membership in a certain group or category, in this case, women. Are you suggesting that discrimination on the basis of sex or gender does not or cannot exist because it is 'systemic', ie, it is a social norm based upon gender roles? Gender roles have not "tended toward" anything in the natural Darwinian way as you suggest. Gender roles have been established as social norms by men on the basis that females are inferior to men in respect of certain attributes which men deem to be important. Sexism is simply gender discrimination which is based upon this perceived gender inferiority. Such gender inferiority was a widely accepted social and scientific norm back in the olden days when people believed that black people had smaller brains than white people and the earth was flat. Now it appears to be mainly just attached to religious devotees who read about the role of women in the bible with the assistance of unamarried and celibate priests.

6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    I'm going to share a sexism story. The dean of students at my school told me that I am intimidating and threatening towards small women through no fault of my own - simply by virtue of my size and gender (I am 6'6) and need to be careful to make sure people don't feel threatened by me.

7. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    I have been told that sexism towards men cannot exist because sexism only happens to the oppressed sex. Discrimination against men can exist, but not sexism against men.

This is what I have been told for a while by self-described feminists, male and female.

I am saying that sexism does not exist because there is not an oppressor class and an oppressed class.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Usually tall men don't need to be taken aside for this sort of advice.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    You don't need oppression for there to be sexism.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Sexism is just gender discrimination. That is, you treat somebody differently because of their actual or perceived membership in a gender group. On this basis, men and women can be discriminated againt. Systemic discrimination leads to opression. What you have been told is wrong.

11. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    And you know what? That's a really jerkish move. Just because you're male and tall doesn't mean you're going to hurt anyone. I don't know this dean, but if they had a problem (or a student had expressed a concern), they should have handled it without making you feel uncomfortable and unwanted. And that's not just being fair -- it's common courtesy as well.

One thing to consider is that feminism, as a whole, is a huge movement with many fractures. There are radical elements and extremists as a result, just as there is in any movement. But there's no denying that real sexism against men does occur -- child custody battles and alimony are just two of the most striking cases of institutionalized sexism against men.

But subscribing to the tenants of part of a movement does not mean you have to subscribe to everything each and every one of its "followers" adheres to. I doubt many Christians, for example, support the Westboro Baptist Church or encourage a literal reading of the Bible. Only some do. Finding those who share your views can often be the most difficult aspect of these movements.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  12. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Hence why I was surprised that she felt free too. I go out of my way to avoid people being intimidated by me. I'm very careful and gentle and have never been in a fist fight. The last person I raised my voice to in anger was an ex-girlfriend (who had done something pretty awful) two years ago. I never raise my voice in anger never do anything remotely threatening. Her blatant attack on my masculinity was honestly, very heart-wrenching. I felt bad and dirty simply for being male.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hey, I'm tall too! Sometimes (well, two or three times) if I'm walking alone down a street and a woman with a stroller sees me, she will cross the street to avoid me! It's for the same reason that people check Halloween candy for razor blades when that has never happened. People are taught by the media to fear strangers and random acts of violence even though a mother and her baby are much, much more likely to be victimized by the father of that baby. But I'll pretend it's sexism/discrimination/misandry or something.

14. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    http://thegenderblenderblog.wordpre...act-there-is-no-such-thing-as-reverse-sexism/

I hear this all the time. Certain posters are fond of reminding people that racism against whites is not possible. I have seen this applied to the concept of sexism (sexism = discrimination + power) often.

Discrimination against women is a real problem. Sexism is not - unless you mean discrimination. In which case you're right.

15. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Kind of reminds me of how back when she was in middle school, on the way back from a field trip my sister and some classmates saw a stray dog outside the bus and one of the boys made a rude comment about it being a relative of my sister's. Well, she hit him with a bookbag, forgetting there was a clipboard in it, causing a gash on his head. Well, it all led to her teacher (who was a real a-hole, because I ended up having him for a teacher when I got to middle school) chewing her out in front of the whole class, making untrue insinuations about our family, leaving her in tears, while it was an accident and maybe my sister was in the wrong, the boy should've held some of the blame.

(Seriously, this guy was someone who shouldn't have been a teacher. He'd yell at the top of his lungs in the middle of class "NEVER!" without warning or provocation. With rage issues like that, it's no wonder he died of an heart attack.)

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Gender drama. How original.

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I just treat everybody like people. And it's worked pretty well so far.

18. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i treat everyone like animals, and i am doing great.

19. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Sexism is discrimination against women and so yes I am right. Racism against whites is also possible and it does happens. What certain posters are probably actually reminding you of is not that racism against whites is impossible, but rather, it is not systemic and therefore white people are not oppressed.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I've got a revelation for you AAAAAH

People are animals.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Racism = discrimination + power

Racism towards blacks exists, but not racism towards whites. Racism is something society does, not individuals. Discrimination towards whites is something that can and does exist. However, the existence of discrimination against whites does not mean that racism against whites exists.

I've seen enough "what about teh white malez?!?!?!" idiocy to explain this concept in my sleep.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    As someone who is pretty white looking, I can safely say i suffered at the hands of racism...

...in Pakistan.

23. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    "They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals!"
    [​IMG]

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    ftfy

... and here we are again... yet another thread hijacked by OZK bull****.

25. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Actually I was referring to posts like this.