main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Let's talk about the First Order's greatest triumph/Republic's greatest tragedy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Loupgarou, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    It was hard to find a way to title this without spoilers. But what i want to discuss is the destruction of the Hosnian system. Ok, when i first went to write this thread, i thought they'd blown up Coruscant. I was devastated. What i'm reading now makes it seem this is not couscant but a city planet we've never seen?

Either way, this is a HUGE moment that is largely glossed over. The capital of the republic, coruscant or not, is gone. so many lives, gone. What does this mean for the state of the galaxy? Is the republic fragmented? The system is barely mourned.

What do you think/feel about this? I definitely think it should have gotten a little more focus, but moving on, i'm curious to see how this effects the rest of the ST.

And please, can someone assure me it's not coruscant? Because it really looked like coruscant and it honestly took me out of the movie for a moment. It made me so sad.

2. Chunkydumb

Chunkydumb Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    I think the state of the New Republic will be established a little more in VIII or in the Expanded Universe. But I agree, I am dying to see the repercussions of what Starkiller base did.

3. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    Also, if that wasn't Coruscant, what's that place up to? Is the senate not there any more? Maybe it will be again after this destruction.

4. mikhailca

mikhailca Jedi Master

May 20, 2005
    In another topic, someone said that the seat of the Republic rotates based on votes or something. I forgot the name of the planet, but it wasn't Coruscant. Not sure how accurate that is, it's just what another user said in the Ep. VII spoiler thread.

5. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    It was definitely the Hosnian system - someone even makes a comment about it being the Hosnian system in the film. Leia perhaps, or maybe Ackbar. It was interesting how the energy beam from Starkiller separated and "attacked" each individual planet/moon in the system. Also, just how far away from Takodana is the Hosnian system? Couldn't have been too far, as we can see the destruction on the ground on Takodana.

Also, I was confused about how Starkiller worked. It was said that when it fully drained the star it siphoned its energy from that it was charged. How do they charge it again? Does it require the planet to go to another star system for energy? How would they do this?

6. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    haha, i have no idea. I guess in the world of star wars, you already have Tatooine with two suns. maybe this system is similar?

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I thought so too. When I saw the movie and this scene happened, my heart sank. I love Coruscant and don't want it destroyed. When they mentioned the Hosnian system later, I was somewhat relieved, but still not sure. It wasn't until someone explained it here that I was certain it wasn't Coruscant, and that made me a lot happier! The scene itself is beautifully made, but I would've liked a stronger reaction from the Resistance.

Pancellor Chalpatine likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, I'm sure the fallout in the next movie will be huge.

The First Order crippled the Republic.

Now, the Resistance crippled the First Order.

So they're now in open war, but both severely damaged. Meaning it will probably be a long, bloody, bitter war.

9. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    They cut out a whole filmed sequence with Leia's emissary being sent to tell the Republic Senate on Hosnian Prime about the First Order threat - the only thing remaining of this is the concerned face of this character as the beam comes down towards her.

It is implied in the books again, that Leia was seen to be a bit of a war monger and became unpopular in the New Republic (so she sort of branched off and formed her own "Resistance" /Anti-neo-imperialist faction.

The Republic now no longer has a functioning government since presumably all of the senators and ruling elite were on the destroyed planet.

The opening crawl of VIII will probably refer to a new Galactic civil war or anarchy (me thinks), if only because there is more dramatic potential without a stability in the galaxy.

TaradosGon likes this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I thought for sure it was Coruscant when I saw the movie. I thought the beams of energy split off and destroyed all major New Republic Planets, rather than a single system of planets which had the Republic's capital. We saw that shot of the aftermath far away in space, but the explosions weren't even close to each other. They had to be light years away.

11. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I knew the city we saw wasn't Coruscant because the architecture was very different.

Regarding the destruction of Hosnian Prime, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there's still some remnant of the New Republic's leadership around come Episode VIII, nor would I be surprised to see galactic politics come into play in a more significant fashion given that it appears as if Rian Johnson has a much more even-keeled and nuanced viewpoint on the franchise than Abrams and Kasdan.

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    Why did they cut that scene?! That's like, exactly what i thought was missing from the movie. It tells me just enough about the state of the galaxy (Republic is thriving but doesn't take the Order seriously) without getting too expository. Plus i just knew there was more to that victim, the sigil on her chest and all.

13. Lera_Swift

Lera_Swift Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    I wish the movie would have made it CLEAR what planet it was blowing up, because to the semi-avid watcher, it was Coruscant. Fans shouldnt have to go online and search to find out for sure, after the movie. I also thought it was Coruscant until someone corrected me and I was like, "how they hell was I supposed to know THAT?"

I think the New Republic is still intact, but scattered and weak and vulnerable. There are probably entire planets in the Galaxy that thing the FO has control now. and there are probably entire planets that don't even know the Hosnian System was destroyed and think things are still copacetic. I think there are probably rampant rumors of the Empire returning, and not to be to on point, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit if a refugee crisis on their hands. the destruction of Hosnian Prime could be seen from planets away...not knowing what destroyed it, I would be fleeing the **** for the outer rim territories.

14. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    I felt like there was 3 fractions in Galaxy.. republic, resistance and first order.. Hux said sth like 'republic will pay for their treason and supporting the resistance'.. For me it is all not too well explained.. Why all these fractions co-exist?

15. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Plus Takodana is actually quiet far away from Hosnian...

[​IMG]

16. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    It seems like JJ really wants to undo everything that happend in the OT.

The Republic has fallen and is replaced by the Empire >> The Empire is defeated and replaced by the New Republic >> The New Republic has fallen and is replaced by the First Order (Empire)
    Han Solo is a smuggler >> Han Solo is a rebel general >> Han Solo is a smuggler
    Han Solo is a bachelor >> Han Solo finds love >> Han Solo is a bachelor
    The Jedi Knights are nearly extinct >> Luke restores the Jedi Order >> The Jedi Knights are nearly extinct
    TIE fighters are standard >> TIE interceptors are standard >> TIE fighters are standard

Darkslayer and TaradosGon like this.
  17. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I believe it was Poe.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Starkiller moved to near Endor to destroy Hosnia, for the symbolism, with Takodana in the way if you look at the map.

19. Darth Vortex

Darth Vortex Jedi Knight star 1

May 19, 2013
    New senators will be elected, though faith in the government will probably be at an all-time low. The Senate will probably have a secret base for the duration of the war, though they might in fact move back to Coruscant as a show of strength. One thing that should be mentioned is that I've read that Starkiller Base was the center of the First Order, so if you think about it, both states lost their capitals (though the First Order still has Snoke).

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Depends on how much of the New Republic fleet was lost during the destruction of Hosnian Prime and the system, if they were evens stationed there completely. The Resistance and New Order arent huge outfits and the Resistance was enough to defeat the First Order and they used only X-Wings and accomplished what they always have since ANH, they won and destroyed a Death Star. The Resistenence also has little in way of capital ships of their own, New Republic worlds also appear to have planetary defense forces which is wear the bulk of the Resistance pilots and soldiers are volunteers from or the from the New Republic Fleet itself. So its likely along the lines of Naboo, each planet has some fighters and way of fending off invaders indepentary and where they could unite and form a coalition. The Starkiller base severely set back Snoke's plans for galactic conquest and control - but I would not rule out if they introduce another Death Star-like weapon in this series - even a mobile one like the Eclipse Super Star Destroyer.

Seems most will rally with the Resistance since beforehand they were a fringe group and now saviors. Maybe some to the First Order, or some Palpatine-like figure will try and create a new army for the Republic and dupes Leia or she becomes a Supreme Chancellor. I expect these movies to follow and rehash formula like the TFA did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.