main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Let's talk about trailer #3...!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darth_mccartney, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy-wan

Tommy-wan Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 15, 2015
    There is that one little company ;) ...
    [​IMG]

On a more serious note, TFA marketing has been underwhelming so far. (for the past several months at least). We've only seen a couple of new things since APRIL.

gumtuu likes this.
  2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    They haven't really done much to promote merchandise. Sure we have Force Friday but there hasn't been a tremendous push for it. Maybe it's by design and I'm sure there's a reason for it since it's coming out now rather than closer to Christmas and the movie. But no they haven't really promoted it all that much. All the advertisements (er, the ONE that I've seen) didn't even mention anything about the new movie.

In a word yes. Of course fans like us will see it. That's not the point though and is not a reason they wouldn't need to promote it. Of course they will promote it at some point when they feel it's right. I think the one thing that is striking is how little they are involving fans unlike they did for the PT. SW is not the Superbowl as much as all of us fans would like it to be.

Again, I'm not saying that the hardcore promotion won't come. Just saying it's arrogant and elitist to think that SW is above having to be promoted.

gumtuu likes this.
  3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012

this post reminds me of the SG-1 200th episode where one of the main characters basically sums up movie fans in a nut shell "Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment"

4. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    All valid points. I'm just saying that even though we are all so excited and so tired of wait and we feel we are SO close, we are still more than 100 days away from the release date. What film gets relentlessly promoted that far in advance?

By 12/18, NO ONE is going to be complaining about a lack of promotion for the film itself. I think they've just broken it into two separate events. The merch is coming first, so we are hearing all about the merch first. The blitz for the film itself will begin very, very soon and I am sure SW is going to become pretty unavoidable between now and Christmas.

5. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    re: John Carter, Lone Ranger, and TomorrowLand;

Good marketing isn't going to neccessarily make a bad movie good. But those were relatively new properties (in that they're not "big" properties), and also it doesn't mean everything Disney makes is gold. But this is Star Wars. It doesn't really need marketing. I mean, it needs some, I guess, but a Star Wars movie isn't going to live or die on the marketing. It's way too established for that. Word of mouth will probably have a greater impact (good or bad) than the marketing will. Especially now with social media where it is.

TheForceMakesCoffee likes this.
  6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i'm trying to get my friend to come with me to see TFA the weekend it opens but she is being so stubborn. she thought Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't going to be good and it turned out to be one of her favorite movies. (that I took her to mind you.) so i'm hoping lightning will strike twice. and she will give it a chance and the other six a second glance.

7. Spenno

Spenno Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 1, 2015
    Lupita Nyong'o has already said we won't see Maz Kanata before the film's release ... I really hope this is the case, and the same for Snoke too. Aside from a teeny orange glimpse in the second teaser and voiceover in the first, those for me are two of the trump cards that have been kept successfully under wraps from the start, leading to hundreds of pages of wild fan speculation. I can't wait to see what they've come up with for those characters, as well as others like MVS we know little about. As for what I would like to see, I think at least for the general film fan who isn't as obsessed as us, a little story and context would be good this time? I think the lightsaber which binds everything together in TFA would be a good element to expand on, or maybe an excerpt from Maz's vision bringing us up to speed with Luke or Kylo would be interesting.

8. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Ugh.

1) How many trailers do you think this movie will get? In comparison Avengers had 5 trailers way over 2 minutes! You honestly think this trailer will drop in Oct?

2) If this trailer will drop in Oct like you think, either we are going to only just 1 or 2 trailers at most, compared to Avengers (or most Blockbusters that has 3+) that is just extremely extremely too FEW! Disappointing if this is the case. :/

3) Or they gonna bombard us with 2-4 trailers in the matter of 1-2 months. Is this really better? Or is it better to spread it out and have it out in September then November and maybe in Oct and Dec.

In summary, I like to see more than 2 trailers, and have it spread out rather than bombard us in weeks. Which is WHY a trailer in this week or sometime in this month of September makes more sense to me!

gumtuu likes this.
  9. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I sure as hell hope we don't get as many trailers as Avengers did. Talk about overkill! I remember being so excited for The Dark Knight Rises and there being like 4 or 5 trailers and feeling like I saw too much of the movie. I think we will only get one more trailer.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013

Speak for yourself, the fact is Avengers is #2 on the list of most profitable movie of 2015. Overkill and backfired? I think NOT!

Jurassic World and Furious 7 (#1 and #3) had 3 full trailers, too.

Like I said, MOST of movies that's categorized as a Blockbuster (Which Star Wars is) has at least 3 FULL (Over 2 minutes) trailers!

11. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    Raise your hand if you knew all three of those films were going to tank. I know I sure did, and they bombarded us with Lone Ranger promotion.

12. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002

Well yeah, I don't mean overkill in that way. Obviously it was a huge success. My point is I was pretty burnt out by the time the movie came out, and I know I'm not the only one.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Spenno

Spenno Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 1, 2015
    I think TFA is an unprecedented case really. Has there ever been such expectation for a movie? It's pretty standard for all big movies to get a first teaser, but maybe the second teaser was put together purely to ease the demand for anything else official. Three months before a big release seems a little late for a trailer ... maybe they realised they weren't going to have the SFX complete on time at the level they wanted, hence two earlier teasers with a slightly later main trailer. No matter, it looks certain we'll have what we're waiting for within weeks at most!

CuppaJoe likes this.
  14. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Oh yeah. This last trailer will be enough for us, I'm sure. Hopefully some dialogue, plot, etc.

15. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    There's going to be a LOT OF THINGS we don't see or know until reports from advanced screenings for critics -- assuming they do that with TFA -- start to trickle out.

I am only a casual Trek fan, so I didn't hang out on boards or anything, but as I remember, JJ and everyone associated with Into Darkness denied that Khan was in that film until the curtain came up. I can promise you that some of what we think is a false flag campaign. How much remains to be seen.

CuppaJoe likes this.
  16. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013

The fact of matter is, it is what a Blockbuster suppose to do .... 3 FULL trailers in general. We don't have any of that yet, all we had was two teasers shorter than 2 minutes. No dialogs at all. So not count as full trailers. Big difference.

Anything less, is kinda of a un-blockbuster-ish, to me.

gumtuu likes this.
  17. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002

Hey now lol, I never said three trailers was a bad thing! I'm just saying beyond that is a bit much. Three is good. I want one more trailer, thas'all!

18. TheForceMakesCoffee

TheForceMakesCoffee Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015
    3 full trailers? What the hell is the point of that many full trailer?

1 full trailer is enough for me, any more then 2 would feel like overkill to me.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I kind of like only having two teasers. 3 two minutes trailers would be overkill.
    I don't need to know the whole story or the lightsaber duels or the space battles. Just show who might be engaging each other and don't ruin the final battles!
    Hope we don't get overwhelmed with trailers until December.

20. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I formulated a new theory which is probably way off but here it goes anyway.

When the teaser #2 came out in April, it skyrocketed to the most watched trailer in history I believe. People RAVED about the trailer and it set off a firestorm of excitement. However, as all things do, this faded. How long did it take before the novelty wore off? Two months?

Perhaps Disney/Lucasfilm is employing the concept of catching the public while things are hot. In other words, perhaps they are planning to release the trailer in the same amount of time the previous teaser just started to fade. If it took a month and a half before April's teaser began to fade (based on number of hits) then maybe they plan to release a trailer that same amount of time before TFA's release in order to catch it at the right time.

FTR, here is what I found out about the ST movies in terms of trailers:

ST09:
    Announcement teaser-a year before the movie
    Trailer #1: September 2008 (8 months out like TFA-although that may have been based on a December 08 release that was changed)
    Trailer #2: March 2009 (2 months before release)

STID
    Teaser: December, 2012 (6 months)
    Trailer #1: March 2013( 2 months)
    Trailer #2: April 2013 (1 month)

Unfortunately, October is right on target for a JJ movie despite not being on target for other recent huge blockbusters.

21. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Disney should put out this trailer on Friday.

22. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Unlike the last two trailers I do think the third and final one will just drop, like that. No build up, no one official saying its coming in two weeks. I think it will just come out of the blue. If we haven’t got a new trailer by the middle of October, in all honesty, I don’t think there’s any point in anything later than that.

23. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Next trailer in January.

gumtuu likes this.
  24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I liked John Carter it had a lot of similarities with Star Wars and I heard George Lucas drew upon inspiration from John Carter from Mars for Star Wars. they should have called it John Carter From Mars that was there first Marketing mistake right there.

25. DarthTedTheodoreLogan

DarthTedTheodoreLogan Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 10, 2015
    I don't really buy into the idea that it doesn't need marketing simply because it's Star Wars. Sure, everyone on here will be there on opening day, but we didn't even need the two teasers to convince us. I know a lot of people who didn't even know about TFA until I said something. Those are the people Disney will be marketing to, and I doubt they intend to rely primarily on word-of-mouth and brand strength to reach the uninitiated. It's a $4 billion investment...

I'd be surprised if we only got one trailer. That being said, the next trailer will be my last until December. I'll be watching any others between theater viewings :p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.