main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Let's talk about Youtube for a second.

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  2. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There's also Derrick Comedy, where Donald Glover got his start before Community. They made the infamous "Spelling Bee" video.

Picnicface is another comedy group, makers of such classics as "Beard No Beard", "He Totally Jew'ed Me", "Real Zone" and "Powerthirst".

4. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I watch, but not listen to, Davey Wavey.

5. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Cello guys: Yes
    FW: Am subscribed to as well
    Meekakitty: I know only due to this rhett and link video:

6. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Here are some I like.

Lindsey Stirling (violinist)

Melodysheep/Symphony of Science (autotuned remixes)

Pogo (mainly movie remixes)

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Youtube isn't working. You can go to the site, but none of the videos are playing. Anyone else having this problem?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Let's talk about you and me

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I’m from London. We’re used to Tube strikes

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Youtube down trending! It's worldwide!

But technically I rented a movie from google play movies, Kajillionaire, I quite liked it and already watched it, but was scrubbing through it randomly and then it stopped loading. Thought it was my web browser but tried a few streaming sites etc which did work, but down on my android app and probably on the playstation. Now I did pay 20 dollars for my rental fee and it's not working on youtube or google play movies (basically the same thing), maybe I'll get an automatic refund? I mean, I have watched it already so all good, but since I only have a 48 hour viewing rental, principle of the thing, really. Maybe I wanted to play it on a loop for 2 days straight, they don't know!

EDIT: seems to be working now but was down for almost, like, 2 hours! what's a 2 hour refund on a 48 hour rental of 19.99?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    darthhelinith likes this.
  11. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    This is no joke. As a YouTuber this is costing me big time. And by big time I mean the dollar plus change I make each day with my channel.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have YouTubeTV. Mine is back.

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I make really dumb memes every other month.

CT-867-5309 and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Be interesting to know why that happened, basically across the globe for almost 2 hours is pretty huge. Working all good on PS4, Android and web browser now though. Still want me 75 cent refund for my 48 hour movie rental though!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    darthhelinith likes this.
  15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/c/whatdamath/featured

I like this guy Anton Petrov. He has a cute accent, and when he talks about new astronomical discoveries, he uses the pronoun "we" as if he helped discover them, although I think he is a gym teacher.

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    YT: I’m all about Tech (Esp. Apple), Digital Art tutorials, Birders, Cynthia Rothrock for exercise, and Japanese cooking channels

For Tech,

Dave Lee is platform agnostic but also brings up some interesting data.

Jonathan Morrison runs very interesting hardware / software tests on Apple kit.

iJustine has grown on me (nice to see positive & goofy, and her video tests with the latest iPhones were helpful). Ditto Rene Ritchie (Though his latest Apple Event coverage was lacking). Also, MobileTechReview, Lisa is also platform agnostic and reviews tech for digital artists.

Digital Art:

Flo is awesome. Hope to jump into her Procreate Tutorials soon.

Birder:

LesleyTheBirdNerd.

Japanese cooking,

Jun’sKitchen is wonderful (Added bonus, his adorable cats KoHaku, Nagi and Poki), but HidiMari’s bakery videos are so relaxing.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Kiki Jinn likes this.
  17. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I'm a big fan of Jun's Kitchen and have talked to him and his wife Rachel on several occasions over on Twitter. Lovely couple. His channel is incredibly chill; and of course features the very best Japanese cooking, all whilst their cats look on.

I follow a very eclectic range of stuff over on YT. Here's a few:

Languages.

I've mentioned Langfocus before (the best resource for language overview videos out there), but there are others. Artifexian is a language and science nerd who invents languages, for one thing, and drills down into the really techy nuts and bolts of how he does this:

London.

I discovered Jago Hazzard recently and became addicted to his dry witty commentary on the city I grew up in. His vids are little bite-size chunks of weirdness about a city I clearly don't know at all; which I always appreciate:

I must be missing London or something, because I also follow Jay Foreman, whose often surreal videos are simultaneously hilarious and informative:

Cookery.

Even though I don't eat much meat these days, I still love watching Latif's Inspired as the best curry channel out there IMHO. Wonderful food therapy:

Master_Lok likes this.
  18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    A few favorites that I think might be of interest to other folks here but don't fit anywhere else (and thus I will spare you from myriad Giant Bomb-adjacent channels):

poparena

Pop Arena is currently engaged in one of the most thorough retrospectives on Nickelodeon ever conceived, to the point that maybe it's too in-depth for its own good - it took them years to reach Double Dare. The sheer duration and scope of the project is such that they recently introduced a short feature on episodes of shows that are totally out of chronological order, just to shake things up a bit. It's nevertheless become an immediate must-watch for me every time they update.

Defunctland

Defunctland has been fascinating to watch evolve from a series of disconnected short essays on... well, defunct amusement park rides, to more elaborate projects attempting to chart out specific careers - Michael Eisner, Jim Henson, Walt Disney - but has never lost touch with its roots (although thankfully they dropped an incredibly cringe-worthy early gimmick after the first handful of episodes). The brilliance of Defunctland is that you can always jump into a random episode about an attraction or park you're interested in, but it also rewards serial viewing.

Homegrown

Homegrown takes Spongebob clips and then plays them in tons of different languages. Even when you don't understand enough to pick up on the translation changes, the differences in delivery alone are usually fun to watch. Plus, I mean, does anyone ever get tired of the dulcet tones of Hungarian Squidward?

Runjedirun, Darth Guy and Master_Lok like this.
  19. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Snake Discovery
    I don't own snakes. I probably won't ever own a reptile. But dammnit this channel is so cool and wholesome. Emily and Ed, who run the channel, are educators who take their creatures to visit schools and such. They're in the process of setting up an educational centre/small zoo so its fun to watch the progress of that.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    glad youtube is working again cuz then I wouldn't be able to be shocked to find out that Grimace used to be Evil. Like that was his name, Evil Grimace! And 4 arms!

So either Evil Grimace is just an Evil 4 armed offshoot related to Grimace or Grimace had his two evil arms removed like in Metal Gear solid 2 or whatever.

21. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Look mum no computer
    The guy has built a massive synthesizer from Sega megadrives and a 1000 oscillator behemoth. I couldn't not subscribe.

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Love me some Defunctland.

Runjedirun likes this.
  23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Defunctland is great. One of my recent discoveries is the Fall of Civilizations channel. It's a podcast but they've produced some amazing video documentary versions of it.

Ghost likes this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That looks like the Sumerian site I visited in southern Iraq. The tour guide claimed one of the stone houses they uncovered was the original home of Abraham.

solojones, Master_Lok and Kiki Jinn like this.
  25. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    See here’s the kind of fun you can have when you’ve got a channel of your own. Comment I just encountered on one of my videos... and then backed away from very slowly...

JOD0R0W5KY, I THINK YOU ARE DREAMY, I DREAM OF HOPEFULLY ENCOUNTER SUCH A SYMBOLIC PERSONAL JESUS! I AM NOT KIDDING. MAY I SAY I AM CLAIRSENTIENT, H3Y0KA E3MPATH . I'VE3 S3EN EV3N" TUSK" AND NOTICED SOME EYE POPPING POSTER ART FOR FILMS I NEVER EVER HEARD OF. MAY I SAY AS AN EMPATH I L00KED OUT YOUR EYES ABOUT "LE BIG MAC INCIDENT! YOU PAID ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD FOR THEIR OWN PERSONAL CHEF! I WOULD GO CRAZY! AND THROW THOSE DISGUSTING PIECES OF ****, LIKE JESUS IN THE TEMPLE WHEN HE VIOLENTLY PROTESTED COMMERCIAL BUSINESS OVERLAPPING THE IMPORTANCE! KNOCKING OVER TSBLES AND CHAIRS! I JUST SURVIVED A KUNDHALINI MIMIC TRAP! NOW I WANT TO BELIEVE AT 41 THIS HAPPENED! I'D LOVE TO BEL13V3 BUT I WOULD BE A LIAR 8:8! SEALED SHUT ONTHE ADDED STAGES AT BOTH ENDS ADVANCEMENT BARRICADED. I REALLY ALMOST DIED IN A MENTAL HOSPITAL IN FEB. AND NOW!!!!ANTI-PSYCHOTICS AND BENZODIAZEPINES PERScribed. I am learning your Tarot but I have like a.d.h.d. Traumatized from a Cult or occult family of 1.Jehovah's Witnesse's! To spark an idea My D.O.B. 03/09/1979(3+9+10+16)=38: 3+8=11 markings 12 years ahead of even finding out what a HEY0KA empath means! For =12. For 12 years my phone NO. Was 521-1110,;No Joke!! I started an Empathical guide to dreamy music such as " Pink Floyd", & "SL0WD1V3"=I will nail on every conspiracy known and abandoned by ♂️ ! I went crazy,after getting worse day by day! I started shuffling your Tarot Cards and Le' Mat repeated over and over! I also can't control what happens to Electronic gadgets when i use them! They are affected by my Meridians! Premonition too like years ahead 5 at least! I am right now auto-Drawing with my Dominant hand, Figures! I have had a miserable existence! Suicide attempts, self Mutilation! My dad is Dead and HE WAS A NIGHTMARE my FAMILY WISHES I WAS TOO, AFFIRMITIVELY ATTEMPTING TO BANISH ME TO A HOSPITAL PROGRAM BEHIND MY BACK, CALLING MY NURSE PRACTITIONER! SHE SAID HE'S NOT QUALIFIED FOR Condemnation yet, I love her.I would be so enthusiastic if you could write me back once you ARE A 60D T0 M3! YOU ARE MY HERO, AND MY BI663ST INSPIRATION IN LIFE! I BELIEVE I COULD SAY IF IM CORRECT 6AINING ABILITY IN HYPNOSIS. I HAVE BEEN TOLD I AM A FULLY FUNCTIONING H3Y0KA SCARED, I BELIEVE SOON THE FORCE5 0F DARKNESS ARE ABOUT TO COME FROM THE SHADOWS INTO FOCUS? I CHANNEL SO MUCH MACHINES HAVE BROKEN MY LAND LINE NEVER WORKED BECAUSE OF MY MERIDIANS. WORKS FINE FOR EVERYONE EL5E( 3L53=11)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020