Lets talk EU authors

Discussion in 'Syracuse, NY' started by Katana_Geldar, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    I've been reading through The Thrawn Trilogy again and it's nowhere near as good as what it once was. Good story, but badly written and the ending of The Last Command with Luke et.al. I have found slightly disappointing. The only characvter in there I like is Thrawn.

But IMHO the best EU authors are Mike Stackpole for his X-wing novels are unequaled so far, Matt Stover as he keeps delivering something different, and James Luceno for his political intrigue novels.

The worst? KJA, Jeter and perhaps certain parts of Zahn.

What are your thoughts guys?
  2. --Azrael-- Jedi Master

star 4
    hard to say....

I remember devouring the zahn books when they first came out......then again I had been starved of Star Wars for ages. I think Zahn has a thing about vests...he seems to take great pleasure in describing them...might be just me.

Steve Perry would be near the top of my list for the Shadows of the Empire. That was a fantastic book.

Stackpole I have trouble reading. my eyes blur and I can't get into it. eventually I end up reading the same page over and over and over. Not a big fan of him.

but hey that's just my 2 cents
  3. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Don't you mean two decicreds?

BTW, you still have to read Stover's Shatterpoint, Nick Rostu reminds me of you.

Stackpole I like because he takes the story away from the Skywalkers and develops other character like Wedge Antilles and Corran Horn. He actually uses the games I'm told to get the battle scenes right whic is why I think he is the best at them.

Actually, Shadowfire told me that.

But SOTE...there are some good bits but it can hardly compare to Traitor or Shatterpoint.
  4. Amaya_Unduli Jedi Knight

star 3
    Top three best authors:

1)Sean Stewart (Dark Rendezvous [face_laugh] )
    2)Matthew Stover (Shatterpoint, ROTS [face_thinking] [face_laugh] :_| )
    3)Michael Reaves and Steve Perry (Medstar duology - :))

Top three worst authors:

1)Jude Watson (Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Quest and The Last of the Jedi - [face_frustrated])
    2)David Sherman and Dan Cragg (Jedi Trial - I-))
    3)Jude Watson (Yes, I know I already mentioned her, but she really annoys me. Not to mention that she's basically been given the entire junior prequel au series to murder.)

Some of these authors have written other au books, but I've listed the ones that are the reason for their ranking.
  5. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Aha, but you have not mentioned the notorious KJA!

And what do you mean by AU?
  6. Amaya_Unduli Jedi Knight

star 3
    I meant eu, of course!8-} And, remind me, what's the KJA?
  7. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Kevin J Anderson

He gives the Death Star a bad name.
  8. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    :mad:

I know, opinions. :p But still, for someone to talk so badly about them, it angers me. ;)

The Jedi Apprentice series, in all truthfulness, owns so many full-sized novels, it's not funny. I have read plenty of both, young readers books and novels alike, simply because they're all Star Wars. And so I wholeheartedly disagree with you in stating Jude Watson as a bad EU author.

Ah, the wonders of opinions. But I know it's just that, and I doubt anything I say will change yours. ;)
  9. Shadowfire Force Ghost

star 4
    I deny everything!
  10. Amaya_Unduli Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was not complaining that there was too many books in the JA series, just that Just Watson wrote them. It may surprise you to know that I OWN the ENTIRE COLLECTION of JA, JQ, the special editions, The last of the Jedi (thus far) and a few other SW books authored by Watson (such as the Journals). If you don't believe me - ask Katana or Viceroy Nute Gunray because they've both seen it and borrowed from it. The reason why I dislike her so is much to do with the fact that I was looking forward to reading intelligent and character-based stories of the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan relationship. There was so much potential for further exposition of the characters. It was a lost opportunity. Jude Watson still, even at the end of the JQ series, did not know who Obi-Wan was. I am not saying this because she created a character based on Obi-Wan that I disagree with (the movies give only so much exposition) but that she failed to create a consistent, convincing character of him or any of the main Jedi. I won't go on with her complete lack of understanding of the Jedi Code and morals, because I know I'm just venting and this post is getting too long.

To put one last, further spin on it, there were moments in most of the books that I really appreciated. I believe that it may be due to these beams of light that I so resent the misuse of the potential of the series in general.

BTW, pls don't feel that your icon is under fire - I like it:p .
  11. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    No offence, Amaya, but compared to what KJA and Vonda Macyntire do to SW Jude Watson is relatively tame. I give you the fact that the last book of JA was lacklusture and Obi-Wan spent far too much time mooning about the fact he had once left the Jedi order when he should have moved on a long time ago.
    But Jude Watson's stories are primarily based on character. The bad parts of the EU read like a shoddy fan fic. "Oh, lets have all these Jedi for Luke to teach but one has to fall to the dark side. And of course, we have to bring in a female Imperial for no other reason than to cater to the fans, and just for fun she runs a superweapon shop."

No matter where Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon went in JA, the story wasd ALWAYS about the two of them, rather than the two of them deciding how to deal with what bad EU writers tried to throw at them next.
  12. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh, I believe you, there's no reason why I shouldn't. And I agree that some characters and parts of the books weren't good, but that's usually the case in all books. I liked the series; you didn't so much; that's life, I don't mind. ;) To me, maybe because I simply like them, I think Jude Watson did Obi-Wan well and most of the characters. I also just love Qui-Gon. ;)

Haha, you recognise my icon. The thought didn't even cross my mind before. :D

No matter where Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon went in JA, the story wasd ALWAYS about the two of them, rather than the two of them deciding how to deal with what bad EU writers tried to throw at them next.

Good point Katana, that's true. Although I sense a very big hatred for some EU authors increasingly building. :p
  13. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    I just love Star Wars, that's why I hate the EU authors who try to undermine it and ruin it. As you can see by my sig I'm supposed to support the EU and all its works and I do. I accept the fact that KJA has made a big effort into continuity and that whether I like it or not I have to live with it.
    But that doesn't mean I have to like it, we need more authors like Stackpole, Luceno and Stover. At least most of the authors who are emerging now are a lot better than the one's we've had.
    Was it it Planet of Twilight that they talked about spacetape and they all but said: it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the galaxy together?
  14. Amaya_Unduli Jedi Knight

star 3
    [face_laugh]

You know, Tyi_Maet_Nefer and yourself both have great points. As much as I am still annoyed by certain plotlines (the entire Qui-Gon/Tahl thing) and character discrepancies (amongst various other things) Jude Watson at least didn't get sidetracked by new characters. And I'm sure that she was actually trying to nut out the characters, make it interesting, and still keep it within the confines of the Jedi Code (mostly!) all at once. I'm probably being too hard on her by giving her the top (and last) spot on my 3 worsts list. After all, I did not have to physically force myself to get to the end of each book (like I did with Jedi Trial - just thinking about it makes me feel sleepyI-)). And I did actually buy the books (unlike Jedi Trial - the only one missing from my entire prequel collection). Like I said before, I guess it's more about the missed opportunity. A lot of people strongly disliked TPM for that reason, and I get cross with them, so...you know...I guess I repent...But only as far as her place(s) on my 'worst' list. I never said that I didn't like the series altogether, just that I was frustrated by the problems I saw (and still see) in it.

So the true response would be as thus:

Worst EU Authors:
    David Sherman and Dan Cragg (Jedi Quest).
  15. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    I was actually shying away from JA for the simple reason that I thought the story would get stretched, it did but only right at the end she seemed to running out of idea. After Tahl died she didn't really seem to care anymore and they were just along for the hell of it.

BT, that female Imperial who runs the superweapons shop, did I mention she was shagging Tarkin? (I'm being serious here)

But I have to agree with you about Jedi Trial, I was almost going to buy that book hardcover until I read it. No offence Amaya, but I'm probably a bit more dissapointed than you are as the character I was looking forward to reading about was Nejaa Halcyon. He is Corran Horn's grandfather and a Stackpole character from the X-Wing series. IIRC Corran and Luke were about the same age give a year or two, and with only once reference to Valin in Halcyon's letter I was left to conclude that Valin was in his late teens or even early twenties.
    Ever since I, Jedi I wanted to read about Nejaa Halcyon, but instead of giving us some continuity they decide to play it safe. Lesson: don't try to please everyone
  16. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Just read somewhere that Corran is actually 18 years older than Luke. So inpression can't really form opnions can they.

And that means Dan Cragg et.al. REALLY stuffed up Jedi Trial
  17. Shadowfire Force Ghost

star 4
    Corran is 18 years older than Luke? That doesn't sound right at all.

That would mean that Corran is out having adventures when he is in his late 60's, early seventies (dates are made up, but it seems consistant with my knowledge of the EU).
  18. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    According to the EU, 60 is the new 40. Keep up with the times, Shadow! ;)

I for one am looking forward to an end to the post-ROTJ EU. I do not want to see Luke in his 90's with a walking frame telling Ben's kids how all the Jedi were in HIS day. Yuck! Just thinking about it makes me feel old.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.