main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ugh... that's disgusting.

Also, did he have to be from West Virginia. I'm not actually surprised, but I try so hard to be proud of being from WV and then something like that guy happens. :( *sigh* And people wonder why young West Virginian's are abandoning ship at an alarming rate. It's large in part to people like that dude is telling you there's beauty in being raped.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  2. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    It's a terrible headline and the way it is expressed is awful but it seems what the republican is trying to say is that the act of rape is "awful" but any child which may result is "beautiful". So the child is "beautiful" but not the manner of the child's conception, which is awful. That is the only way I can interpret that without despising humanity even more that I currently do.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ewok Poet -- didn't know where else to put this (and it's not in the context of women), but going back to sexuality and representation, apparently the American comic book Jughead (which is based on the Archie Comics universe) is doing some interesting things since they ditched the Comics Code and they are officially making the character Jughead be an asexual character (at least confirmed as of Jughead #4). I didn't know if you were specifically looking for MSM sources of representation (or if I'm off ignore)...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...-zdarskys-promise-identitfies-asexual-issue-4

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    You're one of the good people from that state. Every state has good and bad people and those who are in between.

I've become aware of how certain politicians talk about and trivialize rape. It's beyond a nightmare. I, for one, have taken to quoting President Obama's take on the situation: "Rape is rape. It is a crime." But I'm adamant that it is immoral and insane to excuse it.

mavjade likes this.
  5. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    I have a question. I know equal pay for equal work for women is a big issue in Hillary Clinton's campaign.,does that effect sports? Will the WNBA have to pay it's players the same as the NBA? If it did that would definitely fold that league and I would have to say goodbye to the Connecticut Sun.:( and let me just say I do believe in equal pay for women, just not in sports if it closes down a league.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know where Hillary stands on it but I personally support a slower process for equal pay for women athletes. I think you're right, it's not worth a sudden implementation of a law that would cause the WNBA and similar leagues to disappear entirely. That's counterproductive as it reduces opportunity.

I would rather see a greater respect for women athletes and women's sports, a fight against a culture that still is far too accepting of "LOL you fight/play like a girl" attitudes, then have the increased pay come from that.

7. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I wish that that proposed constitutional amendment had been passed to guarantee equal pay for women.

8. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Another aspect of how women are treated in sports relates less to pay and is more about respect. For example, in press conferences and media situations male athletes are invariably asked about their strategy, their coaching style, their approach to the game or the contest, whilst female athletes get asked who they are dating, any celebrity 'crushes', favourite designers, beauty tips etc etc. You also see female athletes pushed into 'sexy' photoshoots by their sponsors. Maybe it is just my imagination but I just perceive female athletes to be asjed questions that male athletes seem to avoid, particualrly in tennis, when females tennis players are sometimes asked to do a little 'twirl' so they can showcase their outfit. I'be never seen ahybody on court asking Nadal to do a twirl.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know why Selective Service still exists at all.

11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    men's pay in sports is a reflection of the money that the sport itself produces, through television rights, sponsors, ticket prices, etc. it's not really possible to pay a female the same as a male if her sport is only producing a fraction of the revenue - it would cripple the sport itself. the more important task is encouraging more people to watch women's sports, which will encourage more investment, which will then result in increased pay. I'd say sports isn't really the same as equal pay within the normal workforce, much like how the salaries of sports stars aren't comparable to normal workers, male or female.

it's different, however, within, say, the movie industry, where there is no justification for men to be paid more if a female lead's movie generates just as much as a male lead (hunger games, for example).

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, it's a cultural issue. We made some progress in women's sports with the passing of Title IX but there is a hell of a lot more to be done in regards to changing the perception of women in sports.

I think it could start right away with sports reporters not asking idiotic questions. There is no reason NOT to ask a woman how she and her team won a game or match.

Considering we are already getting backlash against idiots like that basketball player who suggested that the WNBA play in thongs, and the "do a twirl" reporter, I think we'll get there.

13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It is absurd, in the 21st Century, that men and women - doing the exact same role - are paid completely differently.

As the late Christopher Hitchens always said, the key to prosperity is the economic emancipation of women.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

https://foreignpolicy.com/2012/04/24/what-sex-means-for-world-peace/

15. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

It truly is ridiculous. I'm fortunate that I'm paid very well as a tutor. But when I become a social worker, I imagine that I will be paid less than some male colleagues. My primary goal is to help women and children who are victims of domestic violence. Anyway, I recall that when I was attending Catholic school, one of my male teachers believed that the female teachers should be paid as much as him. He eventually started working at public school.

16. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

It truly is ridiculous. I'm fortunate that I'm paid very well as a tutor. But when I become a social worker, I imagine that I will be paid less than some male colleagues. My primary goal is to help women and children who are victims of domestic violence. Anyway, I recall that when I was attending Catholic school, one of my male teachers believed that the female teachers should be paid as much as him. He eventually started working at public school.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  18. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    not sure what a gop lawmaker or state senator is, but does this mean that he's been elected by the people for some kind of position? or what exactly does it mean?

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    All 50 states in the United States have their own legislatures. Most are bicameral, with an upper house (usually called the State Senate) and lower house. This guy is part of the South Carolina Senate. He was elected, but most Americans barely pay attention to their state legislatures and the vast majority can't even name the people who supposedly represent them.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There's really a pro-rape movement? I hate everything.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes. It's called society.

22. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I signed a petition to shut down the pro-rape supporter Roosh Valizadeh's Facebook account. He is a nightmare of a misogynist.

Anakinfan, I remember hearing about that guy saying that stupid, awful thing. Still, my ex-girlfriend said she believed that we women are superior to men, and I didn't like that, either. She said she didn't like to say that, since she wanted to believe in equality. But, still, believing in equality shouldn't be that hard.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There is no point, and it's monumentally stupid, to say that either gender is superior to the other.

SateleNovelist11 and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm astonished people still believe in Social Darwinism. Especially since we fought a global war, against a regime, which built its entire society around it. Your gender or race most certainly doesn't not determined if you're "better at something"; it's completely backwards thinking.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    More on feminism and Hillary Clinton

Pretty good article. Short version: there is nothing about corrupt political games and bull**** that feminists should feel obligated to accept from a candidate simply because that candidate is a woman.