main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Exactly. My biology professor said that that is not what Darwin intended for people to take away from his theory of evolution. Gender and race are social constructions, anyway.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Quite.
    Yet, the same people who oppose evolution are the same who want to apply its principles to society.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Yeah. I've noticed that since high school. They claim to believe in Adam and Eve, and yet they say that we're programmed to reproduce. It's weird. Some of us believe that people--gay, bi, trans, asexual, whatever--are here to keep the population from exploding, and that's a component of evolution.

One of the things that disturbs me is the sexism, subconscious or not, of some who support gay rights. Some tend to support gay men over lesbians, and lesbianism is accepted by some simply because they find it attractive. Furthermore, when one examines that bisexual women are abused at far higher rates than other women, I am one of those who is disturbed. We all know how many people harm trans women, but I'm sickened that more people don't defend bisexual women. It's tragic.

4. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    If you were an alien watching our movies & tv shows, I think they would believe that women are superior warriors, although most action movie do have male leads, I think when there is a male/female fight on a tv show or movie, I would guess the woman wins about 95% of those fights.I can image an alien commander saying according to the transmissions were getting from Earth, the male' s do most of the fighting but watch out for the female of the species , even though they fight less often than the males, look out when they do decide to fight.:p

5. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I'm not sure an alien species would base their strategy on TV shows/movies. I'm also fairly sure that, if they do, they might be less concerned about humans and more worried about, say, Godzilla. Or Brian Blessed.

6. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    True[face_laugh]

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This blog post is fantastic:

I do not want my daughter to be "nice"

I think it goes both ways, I don't make my sons chat with strangers they don't want to talk to, but there are some valid points about gender-specific issues here.

8. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Great article. I'm going to share that. We women shouldn't have to be fake.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My sister and I were brought up in that same manner, so that definitely is a great and true article.

10. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    Today is International Women's Day.

So... happy International Women's Day.

Never knew this was a thing. Google teaches us many things.

11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    John Boyega posted this on International Women's Day: "When women support each other, incredible things happen." He received quite a bit of praise for this, but there were some creepy, nasty people who critiqued him. His response was wonderful: "To praise the loyalty between women does not mean disregarding the loyalty between men. I'm just not talking about frigging men today! So, butt hurt sexists, please, remain in the shadows of your stupidity, and within those shadows you are free to have failed dreams about estrogen-free world."

Kudos to Boyega! He's a good man. He's my kind of feminist. Also, International Women's Day highlights the need for women to have more rights in certain countries. Many women are still oppressed throughout the world. As we've often discussed, just because women have more rights in the U.S. than they would elsewhere does not mean that people are not trying to limit our rights here. Unfortunately, misogynists can be male or female. It is true that there is some misandry against men, but it's often not the kind that sexists claim.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, on the train home yesterday, flicking through the evening standard, a free paper and this is on one of the comment pages:

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...ist-can-be-a-funny-old-business-a3216286.html

The short version?

Posting it just for the Highlander ref, but also because that ref really works.

Jedi Merkurian and Vaderize03 like this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If you support the idea that men and women are equal and should be treated as such, you're a feminist. I think the prostitution example is a good one on which people can disagree and still come from the same place regarding ideals. Even the abortion issue allows some leeway regarding how long it should be legal and what should be done to lower the numbers.

I do think there is a wrong FOCUS if people are talking about how many bathrooms should be in buildings or whether anyone should wear pink (really, what? Who cares), but yeah, we can all disagree and the important idea is that the main concept of gender equality is the same.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The Gambia has outlawed FGM, following Nigeria's earlier outlawing.

15. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    That's definitely something of which more people should be aware and oppose. I hope that more countries will outlaw it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  17. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw that last night. She seems to understand that feminism is about equality but says directly in the passage that she does not believe in gender equality and demonstrates that she is stuck on specific gender roles, so...yeah.

I teach my sons that it is polite to open doors for PEOPLE, regardless of gender, especially if they are carrying something heavy.

And if this woman's kids, when they are old enough to know better, are not walking up to strange women and commenting on their looks, I doubt they are going to get the reaction that she posted about. What happened to greeting women with "Hi, how are you?" or "What book are you reading?" or something like that.

19. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Do you also teach them that it's polite to go through a door held open for them, regardless of who is holding it? And that it's not polite to try and hold a door open over someone's head in such a way that you expect them to pass under your armpit to go through it? :p

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    All of the above. :p

I also think that the author misses the GREAT difference between treating a date or friend with respect (which should be done regardless of gender) and treating a female date or friend like she needs special care because she is the "weaker sex" and needs "protection." The latter, if the man persists after the woman indicates "I don't need you to do that, I'm good," is actually disrespectful, not respectful.

21. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    Yup! Totally agreed. I've had incidents in the past ( quigon70 ) where men refused to walk through a door I was holding open for them. I found it super insulting and disrespectful to have a gesture refused like that.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Dani, you have to pass under my armpit... at your height, you'd just crash into my arm if I held it open at a normal height... :p

23. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    No. I mean, in certain situations when two people are approaching the door at the same time, either from the same or opposite directions, because I'm so short a lot of men think it's polite to reach up and hold open the door at the top of the door while they're blocking the direct passage so that I have to walk under their arm to pass through the doorway. The obvious alternative is either just stepping out of the way or letting me catch the door for myself. It's a terrible compromise and MUCH ruder to expect me to duck (or walk directly) under your arm than to just let me hold the door for myself.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Was the fact I grabbed the door from you, slapped your ass and said "I've got it, sugar ****"?

Because I'm done apologising for that.

25. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I was thinking a lot about feminism during April. I was reading about Lana Del Rey's views, since she has been accused of being "antifeminist." She may well be of that frame of mind, or, perhaps, she is merely being contrarian to be outrageous. (If she is, I can see why she would be a friend of Marilyn Manson. He is contrarian to be shocking all the time, albeit in a different way.) I liked her Maleficent song, but now that I've heard her other music, I just don't like it. I'm not sure if she's talking about the past or acting as if it's okay for women to be abused by men. (When Amy Lee, Sharon den Adel, Chib of TBM, and 2004 Avril sang about certain things, you could tell when they were being literal or figurative.) She mentioned how she doesn't know much about the history of feminism. The articles were interesting. She has a beautiful voice, but I have to admit that I learned some valuable things (about domestic violence and the like) from the second-wave feminists and the so-called T.E.R.F.s I may identify more with the transfeminists, equity feminists, and fourth-wave feminists, but there's always something to learn from any movement's subdivisions.

Equity feminism really ought to be more well-known. There was this dude on my Facebook page who called himself a humanist as he strongly, vehemently denounced feminism. He called it a form of supremacy and inequality. [face_laugh] Well, that was weird, and I ignored his comment for two days before replying with brevity. I've always seen feminism through the lens of equity feminism since about 2002. Feminism is part and parcel with egalitarianism to me, and it's about highlighting the needs, protections, and the many issues we've discussed on this thread. It's just as empowering as studying African American history. I'm not sure why I never found LGBT history as inspiring or interesting as black history and women's history. That's just me.

But as I go through life, I meet people who claim to identify with Daisy Buchanan and, in some instances, even Harley Quinn, and they have crushes on Charlie Sheen. It's sad to meet such self-loathing folks in passing or to listen to them for a year. [face_dunno] But humanity is beautiful, despite its imperfections, and we have to strive on for equality. [:D]

Other than that, I believe Amber Heard's claims about Johnny Depp. I was really disappointed during January 2014, when Depp claimed that "diamonds" could "cure" a natural, private aspect of Heard's personality. I gave him one more chance after that, and I liked Transcendence and his performance. I liked his roles in the first three Pirates films and in things like Public Enemies. But #ImWithAmber. [face_plain] Given how I've seen the photos and how the cops gave her a restraining order against him, I find it extremely unlikely that she would lie. I don't care if she is trying to get money out of a divorce. Any financial compensation/restitution does not make up for domestic violence like this, but survivors deserve more than most fo sho. [face_frustrated]:mad: