main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    That would not qualify as a theory.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Women are less aggressive? Is the word "*****" used so frequently to describe all those non-aggressive women?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I am just trying to understand why he thinks the world would be a more peaceful place if women were in charge. It is something I have heard before and while I am not signed on to the idea, I am also not adamantly opposed to it either. I am just trying to get more info regarding the rationale before forming an opinion.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    @CT-867-5309

Let's make this simple, which was my intention in the first place. You keep asking me to clarify my views and answer your questions. I don't think you've understood the problem yet. In your previous posts you bring up so many different points, while at the same time demanding that I provide answers to very complex questions; and at the same time you're also trying to deduce my motives. I think you're far more concerned with where I'm coming from, than with my actual claims. I could bring you research papers, but what good will that do? Was my intention to come here to discuss in-depth politics and propose policies? No. I simply wanted to bring something to your attention.

Maybe this is more to your liking:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228549134_Gender_Differences_in_Human_Brain_A_Review

Take your time. I hope you'll appreciate all those sweet references (304) and citations (37).

I stated two problems with contemporary feminism (not all feminists). The doctrine of Patriarchy and the rejection of biological factors when trying to explain gender differences. You were the one who brought everything else on the table, not me. I suggest you continue this discussion with your fellow feminists. Then my work here will be done..

Since feminism is all about equality, why don't you also start with looking into why most homeless people are male or how to halt the severe crime and incarceration rates among men, or perhapse how to halt male suicide rates and poor educational preformance. I'm sure you'll be very interested with the findings.

Simple article for introduction, but with a few references as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/may/07/men-gender-divide-feminism

Signing out.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If you're "signing out," why should anyone bother with any "points" that you just want to "bring to our attention" especially "points" that you have brought up here in past drive-bys that you have committed not because you wanted to have a discussion, but because you believe we need to be "educated"?

Either have an exchange of ideas, or don't. Don't come in here typing walls of text, telling us we are all wrong and uneducated and that we need to read your walls of texts and links so that we will "understand" that you are "correct," tell us what we "should" be discussing in here, then bail. We will discuss whatever the hell we want and were having no problems coming up with topics without your "help."

Yes, we are more interested in where you are coming from than your "actual claims," because this is a discussion board, not an Eternity85 soapbox. Start a blog if that's what you want.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    While anakinfan has her thoughts, I have mine.
    You're being dishonest here. You don't really have sufficient cause to think this. The vast majority of my responses has been responding to your actual claims. It's a dodge on your part.

You were the one who first brought up the idea of you being a sexist patriarch. You were the one who tried to assure me that you weren't trying to disparage women, when I made no such claim. You were the one who thought I was "determined to interpret you in the worst possible way", when that wasn't the case. These comments come from you, they didn't come from me. You basically summoned them from thin air.

You're still acting as if you're talking to some hardcore feminist here, who is suspicious that you're "the enemy".

I don't care about your motives. I'm not a police detective, and I'm not trying to establish that you have a reason to have committed some crime. You haven't committed any crimes, and even if you had, I wouldn't care.

Well, I "brought up" how patriarchy is a real thing (which is a relevant response to your assertion), and how you were rejecting biological factors that may be the source of persistent patriarchy. I think it's pretty damn relevant.

You've done nothing to convince us that these problems actually exist.

We probably won't be talking about this, because you've given us no reason to think your assertions have any truth to them.

You've done no work here, and I think you know this. You've avoided any effort to discuss anything.

This isn't about hidden motives, but your actual behavior here.

You're acting as if these aren't concerns for feminists, as if these things haven't been brought up by actual feminists in this thread, when they have. You know this, as well, but are pretending otherwise. Once again, you're being dishonest here. And, once again, this isn't a statement about your "motives", but your actual behavior in this thread, which is evident.

But feminists know all about those problems, caused by patriarchy.

I don't want to speak for actual feminists here, because I know they actually are about equality, and generally support that in every way they can, but I think this needs to be said.

But feminism is not really about men's problems, it's about women's problems. That's why it's called feminism. It's mainly about advocating for rights and equality for females. It's right there in the name.

This separation is not problematic.

You, and other men, think you have some sort of point here, some sort of "gotcha" moment, when you don't. It's not up to feminists to solve men's problems.

Feminists aren't The Avengers. They're not about saving the entire world and fixing every problem. It's totally bogus to put that on them.

You wouldn't make this point about anything else that is focused on one specific area, because it would be obviously idiotic.

You wouldn't ask a plumber to do your taxes. You wouldn't ask an accountant to dig a ditch. You don't ask feminists to solve men's problems.

Plumbers plumb. Accountants account. Feminists, feminist.

Feminism is about women, and that's okay. Black Lives Matter is about black lives, and that's okay. It's okay to focus on problems specific to certain groups, and leave other problems to other movements and such. It's not only okay, but necessary.

Good.

Don't take my response as an invitation to continue to post in this thread.

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Personally, I think I would say that many feminists are concerned about male issues, but that is not THE driving issue. Putting men's very real issues forefront and making sure they're solved before we can turn our attention to women's issues is wrong, because that continues to make "women's issues" subservient to men - men first, women only when men's issues are solved and until then, shut up and work for male issues.

With that said, solving some of women's issues will go a long ways towards solving men's issues, making the feminist cause a solution towards some of human issues.

Equal treatment in jobs, equal treatment in divorces, health research, violence (men against men, men against women, and women against men) - that is the end goal of feminism. Equal opportunity, and not just that, but cultural acceptance of equal opportunity even if such does not result in equal outcome.

Also, one can be a feminist and a BLM supporter. Or a feminist and a humanist...one person can be more than one issue.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree, and feminism is concerned with sexism against men; misogyny and misandry cross over more often than not.

Feminists--not those opposed to feminism--are the ones calling bull**** on the mentality that boys have to be tough all the time and never cry. We are the ones saying that a father can be, and often is, the more nurturing parent. We have advocated the idea that men are quite capable of doing traditionally "feminine" jobs, such as teaching or nursing, just as women are capable of doing traditionally male-oriented jobs. I have personally fought against the male lag in education by researching ways to get more boys into reading.

Feminists--not those opposed to feminism--are the ones who have a high enough opinion of men to understand that they absolutely are capable of respecting women, no matter what they are wearing or how much they have had to drink.

9. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Just another instance of a discussion on women's issues being co-opted by the usual "what about the men?!?" tactic. Men's issues are certainly important too, of course, but constantly bringing them up in this context is tiresome as a "look, over there!" diversion.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    kip73 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  12. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I'm thankful I had smart parents who never told me all that "boys don't cry" rubbish.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That's easily disproven anyways - just show the dog episode from Futurama.

dp4m likes this.
  14. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    anakinfan I think you're one of my new favorite posters. I don't agree with everything that you said, but you make a very compelling argument.

I'm a straight married guy and all that, but one thing that burns me up is hearing about how women doing the same job as a man get paid less. Someone needs to answer for that, because it's b.s.

Anyone that doesn't support equal rights for women need to get their head examined, in my opinion.

15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Feminism can be a beautiful thing, especially if feminists respect the men who are feminists. I've always seen the ideology as intentionally egalitarian (i.e. equity feminism).

It's been interesting to observe all the recent girl power in movies. Some succeed secularly, while others fall flat. My big sister-figure and I love it.

Yeah, Kip, Anakinfan is a great poster/mod, one of the best. Some people get jealous of her, but she tells it like it is. #realonly

Well, during the last several months, I've been tired of all the misogyny and how the media allows misogynists not to be dismissed as backward radicals.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, they're missing the point.

If they want to have an athletic wear competition, have the contestants actually compete in an athletic activity.

Putting them in athletic wear and pretending that "Oh, we're not objectifying them anymore, they're not wearing swimsuits!" is kind of stupid.

solojones likes this.
  18. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Suppose the athletic wear is sports bras and yoda pants? [face_hypnotized]

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  20. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Women are equal to men. Men and women are human beeing. Period. And I type this as a drunk guy right now.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Hi, drunk guy.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    human beeing

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  23. DaddlerTheDalek