main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I think that's true. It's like with Obama. I still hear people saying with a straight face that Obama is responsible for the country being more racially divided now than it was when he took office. And I'm like, yeah, that's kind of true. Him being in office brought out the ugly racist side of a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have caused any trouble. But who's fault is that really? And I anticipate the same thing if Clinton wins (and I suspect she will). I tell you, the ugly, neanderthal rhetoric of the super-right has me almost wishing their candidate would win, just because that would mean they would shut the **** up for five minutes. But, no, it's not worth it; still, the idea of sitting through four years of amped up misogyny is cringe-inducing to me. I mean, it's ridiculous already; if she gets to be President, forget it - we're in for some of the most hateful BS ever.

She should probably just own it. Like Diamond Dogs is her new campaign theme. I love that lyric from that song, "the year of the scavanger, the season of the bitch" or whatever. Season of the bitch. I'm down.

Also, I would just like to say that I'm super okay with profanity, even like really inflammatory profanity, especially in comedy and such. But there is one word, probably the only word actually, that I still cringe at, even when its done for comedic effect, even when its said by women (which I just heard Alie Ward use it on an episode of Slumber Party with Alie & Georgia today and I cringed). It's the c-word. I just hate that word. It makes me flinch. It's just so ugly.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, when Obama was running...the level of overt racism that came out actually shocked me. It jumped up a notch.

It shouldn't have been shocking, I should have expected it, but it was just so insane.

The Antichrist stuff, the terrorist stuff...that really blew me away. A black guy becomes president and you seriously think that means it's the end of the world, the end of days. Wow.

I guess I should prepare myself for the idea of Hillary bringing about the Great Menstrual Flood.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, I've already bought whoreofbablyon.com. I'm gonna flip that for some real cash come January.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The people who will make (and are already making) misogynistic comments are likely too stupid to know how a woman's body works and therefore will not understand that Hillary likely finished menopause 15-20 years ago.

In a way I hope there are some menstruation comments so I can laugh at them.

5. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    ******* get stuff done!” - Hillary Clinton 2016

This would be an awesome campaign slogan. I'd vote for this.

Please star out the word

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    uh...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Unironic uses of SNL head writer's memes for Hillary Clinton is probably not the best plan...

8. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I was kidding. :) Besides, I hadn't known about it so I found it amusing.

As for the article, it really doesn't matter at this point. This sort of behavior is an inevitability. Candidates always attempt to cut each other down with this form of mudslinging all the time and people wholeheartedly participate no matter how it reflects upon them or their party. Her being a woman, unfortunately, exacerbates the problem.

That being said, the stuff her opposition is saying is pretty stupid. One of the worst has to be, "How can she satisfy the country if she can't satisfy her man?". She's essentially being blamed for Bill Clinton's unfaithful actions. It's infuriating.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, with Roger Ailes and the owner of Breitbart on board with the Trump campaign, it looks like the era of misogyny is over in US politics.

Wait, did I say "over"? I mean "about to ramp up to mind-meltingly stupid levels".

Gosh, Ender, how does it feel to defend the no-longer-supported, older version of a sci-fi/fantasy setting?

10. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas are all better games (and RPGs) than 3 and 4.

Point Given , Gorefiend and Ender Sai like this.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    In the grand tradition of dual conversation tracks in the same thread, I have to say "misogyny & the Presidency and "best of the Fallout series" is one of my favorites.

12. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

It certainly isn't the weirdest combination I've come across.

An example of that would be "How to handle ISIS and the best cream to apply in case of a rash". It's a pity I can't remember which thread that was.

13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    There's an easy counter to that.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, while looking for an online version of a column I read yesterday, stumbled on this:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/19/woman...-faces-sexist-abuse-daily-on-twitter-6078752/

Well, hell, not much printable that can be said about that.

What I was looking for was this article on the GB Women's hockey team, who went gold at the Olympics last night:

https://edition.metro.news/content/20160819.am/htmlpages/357174.html

So, about playing like the girls then......

There's a running joke at work with one of my colleagues and the team she's in, as she plays Netball - the joke being the amount of injuries she's got from a supposedly 'non-contact' sport!

15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Can we all just agree that when we say "hockey," we're referring to hockey that takes place on ice and not on a pitch? :p

16. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

A billion people in India disagree with you.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No.

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Oh yeah? Well, like, five people on a Star Wars message board agree with me, so there.

Juliet316 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  19. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Can we all agree that field hockey sticks look silly?

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You haven't seen what they do with them, have you DB?

OK, enough playing, let's return to why this thread exists, cue terribly messed-up crap:

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/08/do_not_publish_becker_sex_assa.html

And it's the usual pattern - star athlete, made mistake, blah, blah, didn't really know what he was doing etc. Total bollocks.

A mistake at 16-18 is getting blasted on Scrumpy Cider and feeling crap the next day, not sexually assaulting and raping two unconscious women.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A "mistake" involves not having the knowledge to do better.

I call total bull**** on anyone who claims that sexual assault is a "mistake", outside of someone who has been living in an 1855 time warp since toddlerhood.

I also want to know why a 12-year-old kid with a toy gun is a "threat" but a teenage athlete who rapes someone "just made a mistake."*

*Don't answer that one.

22. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I'll answer the toy gun part. Ever see the stuff that kiddie arms dealer NERF makes? Spray paint them bad boys black and you can rob a bank!

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Be too poor to fix one after it breaks, and a police officer will murder you in under 5 seconds of arrival even though it's in broad daylight at the local park and you didn't even say anything to anyone!

Good point.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No they don't, it's straight trolling. It was written by that Milo Yiannopoulos guy.