main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I know way more about him than I want to know based on what he did to Lesley Jones, but I guess he makes a living trolling people because he doesn't like "political correctness" or something.

Breitbart should not be giving him the journalistic space, but that beats the hell out of his representing the entire site with his idiocy.

2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I welcomed the creation of the washing machine! It makes more time for sandwiches:D

3. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

Yeah, I'm sure all the women who were trapped in miserable or abusive relationships and couldn't leave since they had no financial independence were soooo much happier than those harpies who have to go out to work :rolleyes:

This basically boils down to "We can no longer treat our wives like crap because now they have the financial independence to leave us, so they must be miserable because who wouldn't want to be with a catch like me?"

Abadacus, Talos156 and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I feel like if I was to glance at a lot of the pages, I'd see a lot of bad blood mixed in. Feminism is good, and it is vital as a movement until true gender parity is achieved. The definition I would best ascribe to it is: the efforts to create a world not defined by gendered expectations, where a woman can act, dress and talk as she wishes and be treated no differently than a man, where a man can weep without his manliness being attacked, where both have equal access and opportunities, and where maternity and paternity rights are guaranteed by all employers. Where a woman can be president on merit and integrity alone, and not simply argue that it would be good "just because she's a woman...." and on that last one, that is why I'm voting for Jill Stein, and never for Hillary. ;) Gah, politics. I saw it above, hard to resist. Most importantly, feminism is important because we still live in a society where feminism is important.

5. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Until women can jump 29 feet, run the 100 meter in under 10 seconds and put thier feet on the moon I'm afraid gender parity will never be.

6. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

Social parity, not physical.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The discussion about how some women can beat some men in sports is several pages back.

8. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Sorry. My mistake.

9. Darth Nihilon

Darth Nihilon Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 5, 2016
    Apologies, but what does standing on the moon have to do with anything?

10. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
  11. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Well to keep a long story somewhat short.......

If you play the game Grand Theft Auto 4 (think it was 4) while listening to the radio, There is this judge with a court room show.

He rambles on alot and asks a defendant " where was you on the night of the 29th? Where was you when the victim screamed? How many women walked on the moon? HA HA! Trick question! "

So it was a joke but it makes perfect sense when dealing with equality.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Where was you"

...that explains everything.

Darth Nihilon likes this.
  13. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I don't mean to sound racist but the Judge spoke with a southern American accent.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "I don't mean to sound racist but..."

Stop there.

If you don't mean to sound racist, just don't say whatever it is that you feel you have to precede with "I don't mean to sound racist."

And if you want to justify a point in the Feminism thread, invoking a game about car theft and prostitution to support your stance is probably not the best option.

15. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I feel like I have to add those words every time I bring up a race or region. I blame society.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If it were society's fault, we would all have to add those words to demonstrate that we are not bigoted.

There is always the option of not saying anything that plays to bigoted stereotypes.

17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Very true.

18. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    You know what, Breitbart? I think I'll go with the ability to wash my clothes easily (and conveniently) as well as allowing my partner to have free will over her own sexual health (you know, not being a *******). Ugh.

You know what I find really offensive about Breitbart's article? This sentence: “The role of the housewife has been thoroughly and ritually humiliated by successive waves of feminism — as if raising well-adjusted children, keeping a beautiful home and marrying a loving husband is worthy of derision and ridicule.” I am the son of a father who was a stay-at-home dad due to my mother having a job that paid more so, naturally, he took care of me at home while my mother was at work. That was what they thought would be the most appropriate and practical way for the family to function for the circumstances at the time. He did quite well.

My rebuttal to this statement isn't that "raising well-adjusted children, keeping a beautiful home and marrying a loving husband" is worthy of derision. It isn't. Those are heavy but necessary responsibilities that must be carried out for the well-being of someone's child. However, what is worthy of ridicule and derision is this mindset that these responsibilities must, by default, be placed on the shoulders of the woman in the relationship despite whatever circumstances would dictate that it would be more practical for it to be the man (due to factors like income). Who are these people to tell parents how they should raise their children in this way when they have no clue of these circumstances (including my personal example)? If it's that rhetoric that women should stay because they are are "naturally better caretakers" that they're going by, big deal. Due to the nature of having a family, there are some responsibilities people have to fulfill due to the situation whether they are the mother, the father or even the older siblings. Not every family is the same where the woman can always stay at home. Life doesn't that work that way and it shouldn't have to.

19. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    There is a hashtag tending on Twitter right now; #never date a feminist The ignorance is astounding.

20. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    The fact that there are still enough people out there thinking that way for those kinds of trends to catch on depresses me.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Is it astounding? Or just more of the same? Just more bitter men?

Doesn't bother me. People can choose not to date feminists if they want.

Just leaves more for me. Less competition.

Really, this is a very good thing. It saves time for everyone.

I'm sure every feminist out there is glad that these guys aren't going to waste their time anymore, and I'm sure these guys will be much happier dating non-feminists only.

Win win.

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Two tone, you're overthinking.

The simple reality is that people saying #NeverDateAFeminist aren't actually dating in the first place.

"I'd never drive a Bentley, even if I had all the money in the world" say guys working retail, in other words.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Would our lives be different if the ERA had not been defeated?

Short answer is not much different; necessary changes took too long to happen but they eventually did.

And LOL at that Schafevilly crew. Feminist stay-at-home moms do exist, especially given how expensive quality day care is and how many women's salaries barely cover it (or don't cover it), especially for more than one child. And some women just want to take time off after they have babies and have the means to do so. Feminists are not out marching for women to be ordered back to work six weeks after giving birth. Quite the opposite in fact.

24. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Do true feminists support the draft for all genders? Personally I don't support the draft since I see it like Jury Duty as a form of slavery.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If there must be a draft, then yes, it should be for all genders. But I am adamantly opposed to the draft.