main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't think bill harassed monica. she has said that their relationship was mutual and consensual. he was impeached for lying about it, by republican congressmen with their own sex scandals. meh.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, she can say that and it can be entirely true but it doesn't get around the problem of Clinton being her ultimate boss. Nor is there any way I can see how it wouldn't be a factor.

This is less about Lewinsky going "wow, the President wants to shag me" and more "Bill knew better".

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't disagree there.

Jedi Merkurian and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think it's on the level of what Trump has bragged about doing but it is still creepy and inappropriate.

5. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Does anyone have an opinion on Lena Dunham's latest controversy? This has to be the most beguilingly bizarre thing I've read today.

“One day, when I was visiting a Planned Parenthood in Texas a few years ago, a young girl walked up to me and asked me if I’d like to be a part of her project in which women share their stories of abortions. I sort of jumped. “I haven’t had an abortion,” I told her. I wanted to make it really clear to her that as much as I was going out and fighting for other women’s options, I myself had never had an abortion. And I realized then that even I was carrying within myself stigma around this issue. Even I, the woman who cares as much as anybody about a woman’s right to choose, felt it was important that people know I was unblemished in this department…. Now I can say that I still haven’t had an abortion, but I wish I had.”

Is this why people hate liberals? [face_thinking]

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It probably is. There was some discussion of this in the Politics thread.

It's a disgusting thing to say, diminishes the difficulty in decision making by the majority of women who feel they have to consider abortion, and is not representative of the pro-choice movement or feminism at all.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, there was also discussion in the dedicated abortion discussion thread. But, yes, that is exactly the kind of line opponents of abortion will really be able to use. And, to be fair, they don't see it as purely a political weapon. Anti-abortion folks are genuinely horrified and angered by that kind of statement; it speaks right to their worst fears about abortion. And I'm with them, as I think people on all sides of the political spectrum are, in terms of having a really negative emotional reaction to the quote. It's self-involved, tone-deaf and really disrespectful. And this isn't one of those quotes people have to manipulate; the context doesn't do anything to mitigate how awful it is. So weird. Not what I'd call feminist for sure.

8. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The problem I have with it is that it turns a serious medical procedure into that of a trend. A way for her to get more "feminist street cred". It's horrifically narcissistic.

9. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    It just goes to show that adoption is almost always a morally preferable option to abortion.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

lol

KnightWriter likes this.
  11. Ellen Joan Sparling

Ellen Joan Sparling Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2013
    dance classes for children, at least in the Western World, are mostly little girls and there is resistance to admitting little boys to dance classes as a result. One of the arguments used by both these mothers and some feminists is that because dance schools have communal changing rooms, it would be inappropriate for little boys to see their little ballerinas changing. These women wouldn't care - or at least not to the same extent - about little boys being seen changing or naked by their tutu-clad angels and the boys' feelings of embarrassment or humiliation wouldn't matter.

12. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    On basis do you post the above?

DanielUK likes this.
  13. Ellen Joan Sparling

Ellen Joan Sparling Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2013
    The double standard i mentioned is real.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have literally never heard of feminists arguing against communal changing rooms. That argument is usually coming from the benevolent sexists who think that little girls somehow need more "protection" than little boys. The same double standard came into play with the bathroom laws and transgender people, and it pisses me off, but feminists are the last people I am blaming for the idiocy.

I have a friend whose son is into ballet and as far as I know, he has never gotten any heat for it.

15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Depraved persons, such as Donald Trump, are the only ones who we require to be banned from any changing rooms of any sort.

What do you think of pagan women who choose to wear veils? I know one who does not do so every day. I just roll my eyes when she's called Muslim, as if being Muslim is a bad thing.

16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    oh, never mind.

17. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, there's definitely a double standard for some folks, or put another way, probably every human being ever born has or will have a double standard on least something during the course of his or her life. That's regardless of gender, of political leaning, or any other such thing. But without a number of examples to support your assertion, "These women wouldn't care - or at least not to the same extent - about little boys being seen changing or naked by their tutu-clad angels and the boys' feelings of embarrassment or humiliation wouldn't matter," I'm going to believe you might be repeating something you've heard, rather than something that is.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This article goes into how the Democrats failed to reach the white working class and thus lost the election to a misogynist, but it also shows how the party and the feminist movement can go forward.

Feminism lost. Now what?

"The challenge for the women's movement is to persuade more of the electorate that feminism is not merely a luxury for the privileged or the province only of liberals, but rather that is essential to the freedom of every woman--and to her choices."

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I'd argue that feminism equates to freedom of men and women - i.e., doing away with meaningless stereotypes based solely on gender.

21. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Extreme feminists do (or used to advocate) trying to separate women from the child-creation process. Not sure how they planned on doing that, but it's interesting.

I don't understand why women are exposing their bodies in the name of Feminism. It's more like degradation, to me.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A friend used to refer to a similar phenomenon as "conforming to nonconformity."

The point of feminism in regards to that issue is the freedom to expose one's body or not expose it as she sees fit. And there is also the double standard in reference to how bodily exposure in men is viewed.

23. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    And how it's viewed by other women, too.

"conforming to nonconformity" .... that's perfect

24. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

A severe disappointment.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The gender gap in computer science is hurting US businesses

Good article overall, but I take a bit of an issue with the idea of making the classes "more appealing" to women. I know what that can look like, and it often involves the idea that we have no sense of direction or spatial perception and are more interested in makeup, shoes and romance than in logical problem-solving.

I hope the appeal attempts involve empowerment, the idea that just because it has been a man's field does not mean it should be.