main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't understand why Alamo Drafthouse feels the need to subject an audience to a DC movie. Women have been through enough.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    That minor detail doesn't fit comfortably with the victim mentality.

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I get why Alamo Drafthouse is doing this, but they knew they would rile up the MRA types so they could get more publicity and sales. Corporate wokeness always makes me feel uncomfortable.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Can someone please explain why:
    1) This isn't just a publicity stunt by Alamo Drafthouse with a "how do you do fellow young feminists?" tacked on?

2) What material gains do women get from two women only showings of Wonder Woman that makes this beyond a) a feel good moment and b) a symbolic gesture?

I've already made this joke like, four times now.

5. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't disagree that it's perhaps a crass publicity stunt. That doesn't make the MRA reactions any less ridiculous.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The entire film's marketing banks on the notion that people should see a true and meaningful expression of feminism in what is very likely another loud generic superhero movie where some idiot punches some CGI thing. It is consumption as socio-political engagement and an ultimately hollow commercial product. Theaters are creating a stream of monetization from the well the movie studio itself first dug.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I haven't said a thing about the reactions. My thing here is...how has this helped women in any way?

8. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    It most likely hasn't. Does it need to, though?

9. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Granted I think there is still a gender imbalance across Hollywood as a whole but as with TFA pushing the idea that one female lead in an action film makes for some kind of great advancement in equality obviously rings false to me. I mean were decades after stuff like Aliens and Terminator 2 which included female leads of substance so just selling a film of a "girl kicking ass" to me just feels a bit cheap

This kind of promotion as well just seems like its deliberately fishing for a reaction from your typical knuckle draggers to.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The knuckle draggers do have the choice not to react. If it is fishing for a reaction from them, they fell right into it.

As far as how it has helped women...I personally don't feel helped, and I most likely would not do a women-only showing at a theater here, but apparently there are women near the Alamo Theater who do appreciate it given the number of sold-out showings.

On female leads in action films...we had far more decades with only swooning damsely women, a phenomenon which did not even begin to change until the late 70s/early 80s. So while I don't necessarily support a film based solely on "girl kicking ass," I think films with physically and emotionally strong women should continue to be made as often as possible until society as a whole no longer refers to such a character as a "political move" any more than it refers to a physically and emotionally strong male character as a "political move."

11. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    Personally my only issue would be that I think often its not a "political move" but rather a financial one, basically looking to cast your film as socially important in order to attract greater attention when really its content doesn't merit that.

I'v actually nothing against cinema looking to take a political role but really I would argue that most of the best female lead roles in blockbusters have really been driven by artistic considerations. Either because the story that's looking to be told is better suited to a female lead or I would argue because this actually often gives you a freer hand dramatically. Blockbusters do generally tend to work rather in dramatic short hand moreso than many other cinematic forms and do aim for mass appeal so follow gender expectations rather more which I think results in female leads being easier to give a broader emotional range to. You look at Rogue One for example and you've got a character who can move from credible warrior to emotional breakdown and back again several times with no problem.

12. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    The mayor of Austin, TX, posted an e-mail he received from a man complaining about the Wonder Woman women-only screening. Actually it read more as a rant about women using the cover of the screening as an excuse. The author of the letter called women "the second-rate gender" but then said "I don't hate women." :rolleyes: The mayor posted his response to this letter, and I like the approach he took. Linky

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "I don't hate women, I just think they're inferior to men in every way."

If that's non-hate, who needs hate...

We've been talking about that letter in the Wonder Woman thread and it definitely belongs here too. The mayor of Austin is my hero right now.

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yeah, that's some response! =D=

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    ****in 'A!

That reply was maximum snark!

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Juliet316 and DanielUK like this.
  17. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    yeah i recognise the swedish reality myself. sometimes it makes it hard for me to participate well in this thread because the topics that come up here sometimes are so farfetched to me. like when it comes to sex ed and abortion and etc, specifically.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Was questioning whether this should go in the "Hating Humans" thread, or this one. Figured a discussion may start better here.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/ala...y-police-protecting-wealthy-alleged-attacker/

The line that will make your blood boil:

Channeling my inner appleseed, reading things like this really make me hate our society. This isn't an instance of Boss Hogg in a deep south small town - this is in ****ing Tuscaloosa, home of the UofA. In a huge college town, you've got ignoramus police officers who obviously lack any sort of training with regard to sexual assaults, an epidemic on college campuses. What could possibly go wrong?

Also, **** the governor (formerly the horny dentist) and the garbage legislature for doing nothing about that rape law. I hope Megan's family sues the everliving hell out of the Tuscaloosa PD, and that the one or two Democrats in Alabama speak up for her to change that law.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    North Carolina has a law that says that a woman cannot stop sex once it is in progress, so...yeah.

I don't understand how anyone can possibly "b...bu...but" any of this. I certainly believe that a man accused of rape should be considered innocent until proven guilty but situations like this go way the hell beyond that.

21. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Wait, what? Both of those laws sound too insane to be true. Do burglary victims have to prove resistance as well in Alabama? How many in Alabama and North Carolina are aware of these laws? I mean, are they archaic and rarely cited and thus flying under the radar or very much still active? Has there been any attempt to overturn them?

I can still remember the twisted gut anger I felt watching a video of male frat students chanting "No means yes, yes means ****" over and over. Hearing that there's a problem on college campuses almost comes as no surprise.

22. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Alabama is one of those "Stand Your Ground/Castle Defense." Burglary victims don't have to prove resistance; I think the assumption is that they're packing and will blow away anyone who tries to take anything from them. Alabama is a very red state.

Well, you could argue it may have opened minds about the ability of female directors to bring in $$$, which may lead to more opportunities in Hollywood for all women filmmakers. And a lot of young girls now have a main character who is the hero who does the rescuing, rather than wait around for someone to rescue her. Let's face it; even our own Princess Leia had to wait for someone to get her out of that cell.

23. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    Sweden has less than 1/4 the rate of teen pregnancy the UK does as well I believe.

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Wtf? I asked how women only screenings helped women, not how wonder woman helped women. Learn to read please.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, having read the last few posts - damn, what the hell did I just read? So incredibly wrong.