main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What does his automobile fetish have to do with sexism? Unless he reads Christine while pulling his plonker.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Women are turning him down because we're all entitled *****es who don't appreciate his godliness, so he has to turn to cars to meet his needs.

The pity vote should suit him.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That's not sexism.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Since when are you worried about staying on topic?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Since when are your posts relevant?

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We were discussing linguistics earlier.

"Vroom vroom" is a language.

How it's sexually arousing I have no idea but at least if this loser gets the car pregnant, the car will do what Jesus wants it to do and carry the baby to term.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The point is that he's pro-life, as in he feels it's his duty to tell women what they can and can't do with their bodies, he then turns around and masturbates in cars that he steals, and expects to be elected into a position of power.

That's what Penguinator was getting at.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm still not seeing the sexism.

In that I'd rather not an important topic be diluted by a nothing car enthusiast thief be promoted. He belongs in the odd News topic, not here.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    We've covered a number of examples and stories in this thread. The car one is out there, but still relevant.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't care one way or another if we discuss him but his sense of entitlement is common among sexist men.

He has the right to get himself off however he damn well pleases, even if he needs to commit felonies to satisfy his fetish.

But no woman better dare have sex unless she is prepared to have a baby nine months later.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah... that's the thing. You don't get to preach from your high horse when you're caught with your dick in your hand.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I shouldn't be pulling my popper while on my horse?

13. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    now the feminism thread has become the man-bashing thread. what a surprise[face_plain]

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not if you're pro-life and running for public office. And letting the media catch you on the horse.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What's the phrase? Better not to type and let everyone assume you're a dumb arse than type and prove them right?

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Pretty much sums it up. :p

Oh, we weren't clear I see when we uniformly suggest you **** and/or off.

17. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    This thread's about sexism?

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I do feel I should say that this isn't uniformly true. I've posted a few times in the thread and I've posted about several women that I find "hot," ie. sexually attractive. I have, in all cases, to the degree that I can recall, also discussed the level of talent (and occasionally genuine genius) that these women have in their chosen fields. And so I've posted some women in there that don't meet the standard definition of "hotness." Kate Micucci, for instance. I was genuinely laughed at for putting her in the "hot" thread. But I think she's a hilarious comedian and, yes, I find her physically attractive as well, even though she's not a statuesque blonde goddess or anything. So I put her there, because of looks, talent and personality. That's hot to me.

Now there are a lot of others who don't adhere to such a well-rounded view of what makes people hot that post in the thread. I'm not saying that everyone in there is blathering about personalities. But I'm just saying there is a bit more to the thread than what you let on.

And I would also kind of push back against the idea that finding a woman physically attractive is the same as viewing her solely as a thing. I mean, I feel like I can discreetly check a woman out on the street and simultaneously be aware of the fact that said woman has her own interior life, exists as a human being, has dreams, fears, etc. To me, there just is a level of physical beauty that is simply a fact. Some women are just beautiful or physically attractive or however you want to phrase it; they simply are and that's a fact. I don't think there's anything wrong with me acknowledging that fact, so long as I don't make an ass out of myself about it. Sometimes, I actually feel sorry for women as I'm checking them out. Because, you know, it's just a fact that they're beautiful and horrible men must make their lives a living hell. I don't think that I'm adding to said hell just by looking. But on the other hand, I wonder about that sometimes too. I mean, I hate the feeling that people are watching me; sometimes I get that feeling, you know, when I'm going through a crowded room or whatever and it can make me very self-conscious. I would imagine a beautiful woman must have to fight that feeling all the time; and while I can tell myself that it's really just my imagination and that most people aren't watching me like a hawk, they must have to kind of acknowledge to themselves that the feeling is actually probably true. That must be awful.

I'm rambling. Some of the women around here can give me the rundown on what I just said and where it ranks on the "guys don't get it" scale.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No.... that's that other thread that got derailed by sexism. This is the feminist thread that some sexist people are posting in, occasionally. I like this thread a lot better than the other one.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Rogue1-and-a-half : I posted at least a couple of times in that thread, once a picture of Taye Diggs and once a picture of Michael Phelps. I don't view either of those guys as "objects". I'd rather watch Phelps swim than stand still just because of how much respect I have for his skill and the amount of work he has put into being a good athlete. With Diggs, I loved his character in Private Practice.

I think it's normal to notice attractive people; how people behave when they notice an attractive person, and how they treat the opposite sex in general, determines who is creepy and who isn't.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Is it okay if I start posting without reading the whole thread. I just finished reading Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In: Women, Work & the Will to Lead. Anyone in here with an opinion on the controversy? I thought the book was clunky reading; Sandberg and her co/ghost-writer aren't going to be winning any prose awards any time soon. But I'd still recommend it across the board. It's not that long, for one thing, and the statistics in it are shocking and almost unbelievable at times. And I started the book already aware of the gender inequality that still existed. But the breadth and depth of it and the way it's ingrained into the subconscious of our entire culture . . . the myriad studies she uses here have data in them that floored me. I don't see how any thinking person could read this book and not realize by the end that gender inequality pervades our society to an incredible degree.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    At least, read the last five, or so, (three, even) pages, that way you don't just jump into the thread and completely change the subject, like you're trying to do. :p

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Rogue, you may be able to rationalise in your head why those pictures are harmless, but you and the bigger offenders in that thread are putting women you find attractive on display for others, then getting miffed when called on it. That should be a clear sign you need to reconsider your position, not defend it further...

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, so, that guy. I mean, whatever gets you off, I guess. But do the cars have to be stolen? I mean, if engine noises do it for you, well, then you and I are quite different. But can't you use your own car? Or, if I'm going to judge his age from that horrible picture of him, your dad's car?

EDIT: I'm not miffed. And my post was essentially phrased as a lengthy question. I'm always open to reconsider my positions. But I find your whole "on display" thing to be kind of weird. Yes, I'm . . . talking about an entertainer I like for many different reasons and telling other people to check them out. I'm displaying them to the degree that I'm saying, "This woman is a wonderful comedian and you should check her out. And she's pretty too." It's not so much that I'm displaying that person as I am recommending them as a talented individual.

Yes, okay, I think we can all agree that the "hurr hurr hurr boobs!" posts are objectifying and very much putting a person "on display" for others in a very negative way. But I don't see the connection between that and posting a headshot of a comedian being silly in a stupid hat and saying, "This woman is both funny and cute." I don't think those are the same things.

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I dunno.... the stolen part has a bit of a rape feel to it, right? I mean, that's the vibe I get from the whole 'beating off to a stolen car' thing.