main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    #7 - Go Susie Wolff!

[​IMG]

They also didn't mention her boss, Deputy Team Principal, is:

[​IMG]

Claire Williams.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, let's talk breasts, namely their primary biological function:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/02/claridges-hotel-breastfeeding-woman-cover-up

Then, the icing on a glorious mess, enter Nigel Farage and UKIP:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...arage-breastfeeding-mothers-corner-ukip-video

I couldn't make this up if I tried. All in all, it's damning.

Changing tack:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/11/men-high-heels-woman

I'm pretty much with Ally on this one, anyone care to defend heels as a fashion choice?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, women in the US get their fair share of breast feeding shaming too, unfortunately.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think she should have felt "humiliated." The response from the hotel staff was much better than I have seen on the Internet, where people are stupid enough to compare the act of feeding a child to urination or defectation and have the testicularity to suggest that women and their babies not go out in public at all.

But...I don't think women should feel they have to cover up, I think people can avert their eyes in the half a second that the breast might be exposed before the baby latches on and after he/she finishes.

I breastfed both kids and never had anyone say anything to me when I did it in public, except for the couple of times I got positive comments.

As far as heels...they do something for the legs and posture. But I never wear them higher than two inches.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    As is the case most of the time, in the above article, the giant napkin makes it much more obvious than before... and you can't see any skin with the baby breast feeding, and even if you could, why should anyone care?

As Juliet pointed out, this happens in the US quite a bit as well. People have been kicked out of all kinds of establishments, which is actually illegal, but a lot of women either don't know that or it's just easier to leave than it is to fight.

7. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    They do nothing for me but I'm basically a barbarian born into the wrong age. Women I find attractive generally wear chuck taylors, no make up and keep their fingernails short. Bonus points for callused hands and the ability to deadlift twice bodyweight.

I'd have been a sucker for Spartan women with their warrior training and heel-kicking displays of strength and athleticism but modern displays of corporate power are not my thing at all.

Sauntaero and harpua like this.
  8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    This is really just one of those things that's "to each their own." I personally love heels. They're comfortable, they're fun to walk in, and I love how they look. I could give a flying **** if it impresses a guy though. I wear whatever the hell I want. If I feel like wearing regular boots, I will. If I want to wear 7" heels, that's my damn choice. I almost feel the anti heel argument usually goes hand in hand with the anti makeup one - with the only difference being comfort. But honestly, have you NEVER bought a pair of flats or boots that cut up your feet? The same goes with heels. If one pair destroys your feet...take it back and get one that doesn't. It's the same with any type of shoe.

Frankly I just don't believe in judging anyone on what they choose to wear. If it makes them happy, then let them do it. After all, isn't self confidence and doing what you personally want way more attractive than doing what someone else perceives as attractive?

Point Given , tom, Zapdos and 7 others like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If I leave the house without makeup, it's either because I'm sick and going to the doctor, or I'm going to run. Other than that no way in hell.

I think the feminist statement in all this is that we should not be dictating our clothing preferences by what a man likes and/or we should not feel like we need to wear something uncomfortable to impress men.

I have a good friend who likes wearing high stilettos, she looks great in them, I'm impressed that she wears them well. I would trip and break both ankles.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    On the other side of the story would be us who don't have a traditional sense of fashion, and all these people who think we need a makeover...one can never win, but I think you have it a tiny bit easier. :(

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think respect is a valid factor. For one's self and for others. This can be reflected in attire choice and it isn't wrong.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no idea what you mean by "self-respect" in attire choice, at least based on what we're discussing here. As far as "respect for others"...my clothing is designed to make me look a certain way (good) and/or feel a certain way (comfortable and/or confident). Anyone who has a problem with that can and should mind their own damn business, get a job, find a hobby that does not involve scrutinizing the clothing of other people. The exception would be someone who runs fashion shows and is scrutinizing the models.

13. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    I don't think the article implies any kind of negative judgement of high heels, just a preference for women with sturdy shoes and an abilty to handle their drink.

We're pretty tribal folk (I am at least) and tend to gravitate towards like minded people. Given that dress is, to some extent, self-expression, it's not really surprising that people tend to make judgements on that basis.

I think the basic takeaway is 'to each their own'.

Having said that, I really don't get the hipster tight jeans thing. Those things look really bloody uncomfortable.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Really liked your entire post but only quoting the bit I'm replying to:

Since you asked, the answer's yes! The idea that footwear should hurt the wearer isn't one I get. If you like the idea, OK then, don't get it, but hey, it's your feet, your choice.

But as for 7" heels, have to applaud your sense of balance and coordination!

I posted it here because it's been a big story over in the UK, wasn't certain of what the US dimension would be.

EDIT: OK, a bit more about the heels article - it is basically one of bafflement over why anyone would opt for heels, as they cut up your feet and require far more balance ability. Plus, I'm fairly certain Ally would not be at ease trying to talk a woman into wearing heels when she doesn't want to. Same here. If there was something more judgmental or harsh in it, it went right by me.

BUT... If someone does want to? That there's benefits that they get that out-weigh those costs? That's a different thing entirely.

15. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

Well the thing is, heels *shouldn't* hurt. If they do, the wearer is doing it wrong. It's not a matter of "it's your choice to hurt your feet" if that's what you were just saying. All of my shoes, including my heels, are very comfortable because I do a lot of walking. It's just a misconception that heels are by default uncomfortable.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oho? I'll take your word for it then. From the outside in, they don't look comfortable, but I'll have to put that down to another mark on the deceptive appearances tally.

I'll admit my view is likely influenced by my wife telling me once that the family viewpoint on shoes is you wear the "right ones" for the occasion and if they hurt too bad. (I disagree with my in-laws greatly on this and a few other things too.)

Though, logically, it doesn't really stand up does it? Shoemaker issues a line of designs that look great but are a bastard to wear is just begging for someone to come along with a counter that looks great and is easy to wear.

Certainly easy to mis-perceive this sort of stuff.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I wear my high-heeled boots to work, where I'm on my feet a lot, and they are very comfortable.

I think it depends on the person and the brand of shoe.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And good balance/coordination! Mine is, depending on the day, zero or negative numbers!

(Seriously, I can fall over on any surface. It's perfectly flat? Don't matter, I can still end up on it despite being stone cold sober.)

20. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    14.5 seconds in high heels is impressive. Clearly you can run in them.

Can't deadlift in them, though. And - to me - that's kinda important.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  21. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I think, no matter you're wearing, you can have self-respect. That's why it's called "self-respect."

As for "hipster" tight jeans, or just skinny jeans, or jeans with a cut closer to the leg, they're pretty comfortable. Or at least the ones I have are.

22. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    You can squat in them though.

23. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Yeah, if you don't have a penis and testicles.

24. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Skin tight jeans should only be worn with a battle jacket, hi-top sneakers, Motley Crüe t-shirt and big hair. The year should also be 1987

25. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    I think this look is also valid:

[​IMG]

I have to get mine from a fat guy shop. I might be slightly bitter about it.