main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Equality is awesome! Wear whatever you want! Be whoever you want! Unless you wear jeans that don't require fifty cubic metres of material to make, in which case GET OUT.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    We need to hate something. It's part of the human condition. That little bit of hate is the cement that binds all the blocks of stuff we're ok with. In this case it happens to be your silly trousers.

3. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I had this conversation with my friend's brother at Thanksgiving. He recently discovered the tight jeans and loves them. He's on stage a lot and when he was going through pics of himself he realized the baggy jeans looked awful and were getting in his way when he jumped around. Skinny jeans solved the problem and from what his fans say apparently they look good on him.

I'm always fascinated that women (and some men) won't go out in public with makeup on. I sort of gave makeup up when I moved to Nashville. I work at a horse farm so for my job it doesn't matter. I don't think this means I have no self respect. My acne disappeared. My skin feels healthier. I will put it on occasionally for a party but for the most part I don't wear it. I hate the perception that I have no self respect because I don't wear makeup.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope that wasn't about my post.

I personally can't stand the way I look without makeup. I'm 43 years old and my skin isn't what it once was. I'm afraid I'll scare people. :p (When I'm out for a run, I hope I scare people.)

I would go out in public without makeup until I hit about 35 and then all bets were off.

I have respect (maybe a little jealousy) for people who are comfortable without it, I just no longer am.

5. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'll let you know in 4 years if I still feel the same way!

6. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I have horrible grey hair and I am 37. I thought about dieing it but considered how foolish I would look trying to cover it up. In a few years the rest of my body will catch up and then I will look dignified. But for now I look bad. If I let it grow out it looks even worse.

7. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    I have no idea what you look like, beezel, but I'm pretty sure 'dignified' is not going to be an option.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm sorry, I thought that this was a thread for/about feminism.

9. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Old people with grey hair looks dignified. Young people with grey hair looks horrifying.

10. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Dignified people with grey hair look dignified, beezels with grey hair look beezelly.

But I'm intrigued, do I look 'old' or 'horrifying'?

[​IMG]

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Is beezel's hair a threat to feminism?

12. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I thought we just discussed though that the point of feminism is to do what the individual female wants. So far what I'm seeing from you, Beezel, in this Senate thread about Feminism (so I know you can't possibly be joking) is:

- you're NOT a female
    - you're telling females your opinion on what's aesthetically pleasing to you

Now I'm not saying something extremist like all male's opinions on how female's look is invalid, but the point of what I would assume a feminist thread would be (pardon me since I haven't hit up this sausage fest yet in my time on the JC) is to...you know, respect actual women's opinions and be a place where women can discuss women's rights and women things. There are a million threads on the JC for voicing opinions on aesthetics for both genders, but coming in here and saying "well herp derp I love women who do this, this gets me off" or "DERPIN HERPS I WANT MY WOMEN TO DYE THEIR HAIR" seems a bit....counter intuitive to the subject.

My point is, if that's not clear enough or comes across as not serious enough - those opinions are great. We all need opinions like that. But what exactly does that have to do with this thread? Is this an intro to feminism course where we ease men into the concept or is this a place where we actually are talking about feminism?

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Go start a beezel hair thread if it bothers you so much

14. beezel26

May 11, 2003
  15. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
  16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't know.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I am drinking beer right now.

Somebody hold my beer while I re-read the last couple of pages of this thread.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    You make it very, very difficult for me to be sympathetic to you against the snotty people who infect this forum. I posted a vid above on a lighter note given the topic of high heels. What you have done here is connect things that do not connect. At all. Then wonder why people hate you. It's not working. Stop it.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Alright, I think reading the link, he was trying to complain about a gender disparity in scientific research. This is a legitimate topic, but he's misfired. The article he linked to isn't really an example of such a gap, even if the topic were serious. As it happens, though, he's quoting something from the annual joke edition of the British Medical Journal, where none of the research is "real" and nor did it cost any money/time to do.This is basically an instance of someone thinking an Onion article is real.

Moving along, then.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I hate wearing makeup, because I have pretty sensitive skin, and don't like the way it makes my face feel. I use a moisturizer and Burts Beeswax on my lips, but that's about it. I don't think this has anything to do with feminism, though, like, at all. My choices have nothing to do with other women or my opinion of them (and certainly nothing to do with impressing men)--the same goes with fashion choices. I have a bad back and a bum leg, and am pretty accident prone and clumsy, so I don't like wearing heals.... again, this has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion of other women. I generally judge people based on character. I've been finding stray grey hairs, here and there, and have no plans to dye it. I've earned every single one of them, as far as I'm concerned. :p I do not fear aging, and have no desire to look or act like I'm 20.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a very "**** you and the wrinkled achy-kneed horse you're riding in on, you will not get the better of me" attitude towards aging, but that has nothing to do with other women.

Jedi Ben and harpua like this.
  22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There's a societal expectation that women wear makeup/heels/etc. if they want to be taken seriously or get noticed or advance in many realms. It's not a problem if an individual "chooses" to wear these things, but I don't see how one could say that it isn't really ****ed up that going out without makeup is usually considered against the norm at best.

harpua likes this.
  23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You look like what you push out from there is going to be a 2 metre rope of brown triumph, which to me is horrifyingly satisfying and speaks of sufficient fibre in the diet.

(That's 'meter' and 'fiber' if you don't speak English as a first language)

Anyway, how was it? Perfect?

24. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    I'm not sure it's a feminist issue, Ender, but short steel bending reminds me of pooping and is equally satisfying.

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Couldn't see the image clearly, but related to the expression.

To be fair, we're still reeling from the imbeezling of this thread, so...

slightly_unhinged likes this.