main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Ted Cruz, Canadian-born with Canadian citizenship, running for president.

Yeah.

2. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Rafael Edward "Ted" Cruz is not a Canadian citizen. He received Canadian citizenship by default because he was born in 1970 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada to a Cuban father and an American mother (just like anyone born in the US automatically receives US citizenship at birth, even if their parents are not US citizens). He moved to Texas when he was 4, and has lived in the US since. However, he formally renounced his Canadian citizenship, effective May 14, 2014.

Most legal scholars agree that a natural born citizen is someone who is a citizen from birth, as opposed to someone who becomes a citizen through naturalization. Under US law as it existed in 1970, Ted Cruz was a citizen from birth by virtue of his mother's US citizenship.

3. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

Indeed - I'm just surprised there's no grand conspiracy theory about Cruz's birth when there is over Obama's.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Indeed. Obama's mother was an American citizen and nobody ever disputed that, even those who claimed his grandmother had watched his mother give birth in the (nonexistent at that time) Republic of Kenya or something.

5. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    At the time of Obama's birth in 1961, US law required that for citizenship to pass to a child born outside the US if only one of the parents was a US citizen, the citizen parent had to have lived at least 10 years inside the US, and at least 5 of those years had to be after the age of 16. As his mother was only 18 when he was born, had she given birth in Kenya (as the conspiracy theorists claim), then he would not have been a citizen. (That is moot as he was born in Hawaii, which was a state at the time, and so was automatically a citizen under the 14th Amendment.)

Ted Cruz's mother had lived in the US for her entire life up until traveling to Canada with her (second) husband, and met the 10 year requirement with ease. As such, Cruz met the requirements for citizenship by birth.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  6. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    As fascinating a discussion as this might be, let's get back on topic.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You need to preserve your liver for its potential destruction during your read of Dark Disciple!

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, get a load of this - warning for some language:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rossalynwar...each-body-advert-with-their-own-bo#.ogKrRXZxz

Edited version:

Protein World company did this advert:

[​IMG]

Cue backlash, with company response to one tweet being this:

[​IMG]

And it didn't stop there, oh no, same company decided to go the 'we're only telling you the harsh truth' route, which is also practically PR self-immolation.

Also, on that front, when has that ever worked? Oh, certain types individuals love to go around mouthing off, being verbally violent to everyone but when they get both barrels? Either become physically violent or crumble - neither indicates a healthy personality. Neither do their words have a healthy impact, it just wrecks either the person its aimed at or the relationship or both.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Hmmm, this is where I wish parts of the feminist movement would allow a middle ground to happen.

No, the media does not need to be pushing Barbie-doll bodies with unnatural proportions and making women think that there is something wrong with them if they don't achieve EXACTLY THAT body.

And don't even get me started on protein shake diets. Any "diet" that a person can't stay on indefinitely, is going to backfire. Weight loss that is long-lasting has to be a lifestyle change.

Not everyone is going to have the same healthy weight.

That said though...this is where some in the feminist movement make mistakes. I've seen it in the Everyday Feminism blog as well, the idea that ANY body size is perfectly OK. It's not, but not because of what the public might think, because obesity is documented to be unhealthy and a healthy weight feels better for THE PERSON. I actually saw one blogger get offended by the T-shirt "I run so I can eat." The blogger's question was, "So if I don't run, I don't deserve to eat?" No, that's not it at all, it's not about you. Stop playing the victim. Running burns more calories. I don't own that shirt, but I love it, not because some people don't deserve to eat. But disabilities excepted, getting some form of exercise IS a choice.

I think there are ways to promote healthy lifestyles without body shaming, and such promotion does not involve protein shake diets. But the feminist movement does itself no favors when it acts as if promoting healthy lifestyles is another form of body shaming.

The company needs to hire more mature people to respond to its critics though. Geez.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm pretty convinced communication around health issues is pretty unhealthy!

In that it frequently focuses on ideals, tends to be negative without realising that mental health is a key part of someone becoming more active - they need to be convinced they're allowed to feel that they can do this. I sometimes think there's a massive chasm between the fit and un-fit, with each not understanding the other due to mutual incomprehension. Some of it likely does go way back too - think school PE lessons.

There has to better, more positive ways of doing this, probably wouldn't be as lucrative though.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's been way too long since I had a school PE lesson. :p

I'll admit that I don't understand the "I can't" mindset, at least partly because that phrase was not allowed as part of my vocabulary when I was growing up.

I think a good start would be recognizing that everyone's ideal is different; that's why the range of healthy BMIs is pretty broad in terms of weight. I think for me there is at least a 30-pound range, but I know where I feel my best.

Also, the instant gratification crap has got to go. Hence the protein shake diets.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    One way to look at it is that things like depression filter perception of ability, so while there may be nothing physical stopping someone, so long as they believe they cannot so it'll be.

The other concept is upward and downward spirals, where positive or negative thinking tends to reinforce itself.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Barriss_Coffee and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'm really distressed that an article like that needs to exist.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, new word! And one that so fits its use:

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...woman-to-sock-it-to-the-sexists-10213761.html

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm sure that particular ***hole thinks that calling someone an "infantile little entitlement princess" is a way of showing appreciation.

Very, very, very few women complain about being "shown appreciation" in a manner that is respectful and treats them as people and not objects.

But I suppose it's easier to whine and play the victim on Twitter than it is to look in the mirror at the problem?

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    One of the letters in Metro today - a free newspaper, same as the Evening Standard - was fairly certain said builders would be in deep crap over their actions. Not least as the building trade is trying to banish that unhealthy image, the way it's doing that is by coming down wrong actions like, ahem, a ton of bricks.

Can certainly hope that happened anyway.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

What's the message of this commercial? That sexism is the natural state of the builder? That this wouldn't be happening if only they'd have a Snickers? Or that they had a Snickers and this is the result, because Snickers is amazing?

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Following up from yesterday's story of a wolf-whistling bunch of builders, this response is one of the best examples of someone utterly doing themselves over while being utterly oblivious to the fact!

http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/29/wolf-...ged-so-many-girls-off-the-back-of-it-5173104/

Thinking things above her station? I'm amazed anyone even thinks that way.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Silly Jedi Ben. He is ENTITLED to harass women.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh indeed, whatever was I thinking? Better phone my Mum and tell her what a bad job she did!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    "Above her station"? Oh well. I understand it as his awkward way of saying that she's reading too much into it. He doesn't exactly come off as a man of letters or tact, so no wonder. In any case, one's first thought doesn't have to be "This man is out to discriminate me". Or to go and compare it to racism of all things. But then again it's a convenient term that pushes peoples' buttons and works as a killer argument. It's neither racist nor discriminating; it's really just a nuisance and silly. Also if he thinks it a good idea to publicly brag about how many women he's been with... uh, well, more power to him I suppose. Newsworthy this is not.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, really? Why is it not news-worthy? Particularly in this thread?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think cat-calling is racist, but assuming that women who protest it are "silly" and should just take it as a compliment, absolutely is sexist.