main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Let's Talk Music!

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother House' started by deltron_zero, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I have a few favourites. I like Ma Vlast by Smetana. And I love Saint-Saens' two famous pieces: Carnival of the Animals and Danse Macabre. I can hear them forever.

But the trouble is: I'd like to hear more, and know more about classical music, but just can't find a good starting point. It's an area I have trouble getting into.

2. Jedi Speewwy

Jedi Speewwy Jedi Master star 5

Dec 24, 1999
    You know, I enjoy the Dead Man Walking score too. :D

Dance Macabre is excellent! What kind of stuff do you like? Maybe I can suggest something!

3. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I like music that evokes images of storm, sea, night, cliffs, mist and a haunted house.

4. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Right, I'm really bored, so I've decided to compile a list of Australian albums that you must have if you're going to be cool.

Crowded House - Recurring Dream
    I'm pretty sure half the band is from New Zealand, but it's on the list anyway. You have to own this album and know about 80% of the lyrics before you're a true Aussie. They quiz you on it when you're applying for citizenship as well, so don't think you're going to get by without it. Contains all the RSL favourites including 'Don't Dream it's Over', 'Fall at Your Feet' and 'Four Seasons in One Day'.

The Avalanches - Since I Left You
    I first saw the Avalanches back in 98 supporting the Beastie Boys and I've had an affection for them ever since. I think I read somewhere that they used 900 samples for this album alone and it shows - it's jam packed till it's overflowing with stylish 70's grooves, hip hop and (I'd never thought I'd say this phrase) funky beats. A definite party album.

Gerling - When Young Terrorists Chase The Sun
    Always likened to the Avalanches, Gerling have their own unique style. Sometimes pop, sometimes funk, sometimes hip hop but always entertaining, Gerling have a knack of leading listeners through different genres with ease. The most surprising track on this album is the very dainty 'Summer Lake Rewind' which reminds me of 'The Virgin Suicides' for some reason.

Something for Kate - Beautiful Sharks
    Born out of the post-grunge era, Something for Kate hooked me when I heard their second album was named after a Stephen Hawking quote - Elsewhere for 8 minutes referring to the sun's light reaching us on Earth. The lead singer, Paul Dempsey is intrigued by astrophysics and songs like 'The Astronaut' immediately grab me. Beautiful melodies combined with profound lyrics make SFK one of my favourite bands and Beautiful Sharks one of my favourite albums.

You Am I - Hi Fi Way
    My first You Am I concert was back in 1996 and I absolutely loved it. They're kind of a punk throwback, resembling the Who or the Clash at times. The lead singer Tim Rogers is just sex on legs and probably the most charismatic man in Australia. The album was mixed with help from Lee Ranaldo from Sonic Youth and retains the fresh outlook overlooked in their later albums.

So yeah, that's my list. Now I've got to find something else to do.

Bugger.

5. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    And as an afterthought...

I was just on amazon.com and happened to come across the Strokes album. Now, is this the cover that got released in your country?

[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005QIPH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

Cause this is the one we got in Australia.

[image=http://www.chaosmusic.com/product_images/strokes_isthisit.jpg]

Sexy, hey?

6. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Yeah, we're too conservative in the states to allow that kind of stuff.

Too bad.

I like the first cover better anyways, but DOWN WITH CENSORSHIP!!!

Erik

7. Jedi Speewwy

Jedi Speewwy Jedi Master star 5

Dec 24, 1999
    I like the second one better. We suck.

8. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    [image=http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005N53P.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

Look, Kerryn: a normal Amazon.com one.

My brother has this version and he bought it in Holland, so no censorship here. We've never been into that.

He's got 4 out of 5, my bro. Is he cool?

And I think I'm going to nick your idea and come up with a list myself later today.

9. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    He's got 4 out of my 5 top albums?

My god. Is this guy married yet? How does he feel about Australian women?

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.