Let's talk sports

Discussion in 'Big Brother Strikes Back' started by B'omarr, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B'omarr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    In hopes of actually getting some kind of discussion started, let's talk about sports. Sports of any kind, I'm game (no pun intended): basketball, baseball, cricket, polo, soccor, jailai, tiddleywinks, football, lobster fetching, car racing, freestyle walking, and fencing are all valid subjects here.

Has anyone watched any of the NBA playoffs? I've noticed a distinct trend of Texas teams leading the current playoff series' against California teams? Will the Lakers pull through? Will the Kings succumb to the Mavericks? Does anyone care who wins in the east since they will inevitably be beaten badly by the western representative?
  2. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Does anyone care who wins in the east since they will inevitably be beaten badly by the western representative?

The Eastern Conference champion should forfeit. The best EC team isn't even as good as the 7th best WC team. And even then, that could be an understatement. [face_plain]
  3. B'omarr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Who do you like in the West right now, Jason? I'm in Dallas, so of course I'm rooting for the Mavs. It looks pretty wide open at this point.

In the east, I like the Nets, but it really doesn't matter.

4. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm a T-Wolves fan, so it's kinda painful for me to discuss the NBA playoffs at this point. :_|

Hmm... Of the four remaining Western Conference teams, I like Sacramento the best, but without C-Webb, I'd say they're the weakest link. I'd probably go with San Antonio since they're probably the biggest threat to LA of any team in the NBA, at least IMHO.

The Mavs are a marvelously talented team, but if they can just learn some D they'd be all but unstoppable.
  5. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I don't like NBA basketball. I watch college sometimes, but I mostly just like to play it. Though I don't play on the school team anymore because I'm lazy :p

My favourite sport to watch is football. I'm a huge Chiefs fan (season tickets for my family for something like 14 years, great seats, too).

I also happen to love Freestyle Walking :D ;)

6. B'omarr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't watch much NBA either, except during playoff time. I've watched more this year since the Mavs are in it.

But the differences between college and NBA basketball are amazing. NBA b-ball doesn't seem as disciplined. It looks like much more coaching is required in college b-ball, as you see them actually run patterns on offense and defense, as opposed to run and screen and shoot, and pick and roll and shoot in the NBA.

And although I'm in Dallas, I am not a Cowboys fan [face_plain]
  7. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Good, cuz the Cowboys are evil [face_plain]

NBA basketball is not really a sport to me. It's just people showing off with very few rules acutally enforced. It annoys me.
  8. B'omarr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Don't let it annoy you, just change the channel :p

I also live pretty close to the Texas Rangers' ballpark. You can get tickets for just $5 each, but that place is always so empty. The two times I've been this year, there were probably only 5,000 people there, in a stadium that will sit close to 50,000.

Major League baseball is dieing :(
  9. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Yah, I've never been one for Major League Baseball. This is my 9th year playing softball and I love to play, but it and baseball just get really boring for me to watch...
  10. TheEmperorsHand Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't really watch sports that often. Except football sometimes. Not really basketball or baseball or anything like that.

As for sports I like to do.... I feel offended, Racewalking was forgotten in the first post! I demand that it be added :p
  11. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I love Major League Baseball.

I wouldn't say it's dying at the moment, but ticket sales have been waaaaaay down lately (Especially at Turner! :_|) but it certainly isn't doing very well for itself now.

Maybe reduced ticket prices and better overall pitching (meaning bye-bye to the HR boom) could lure a few people back.
  12. B'omarr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think baseball needs to go back to being more intimate. The best stadium I've ever been in is Wrigley. It's vintage, it's cozy, it's the friendly confines.

At this point, I'd much rather go to a minor league game than a major league game. Baseball is all about heckling "we want a pitcher not a belly itcher!" and cheering your team on. I can't do that so well from the upper deck. :(

And Alison, speedwalking is a type of freestyle walking. I used an all encompassing umbrella ;)
  13. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Wrigley = good. But if you want intimate, try Fenway too. With fewer than 35,000 seats, it's by far the smallest park in the bigs (physical-wise, as well). It has great home-field advantage, thanks mostly to the Green Monster.
  14. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Hey, the Royals belted a homer over the Green Monster. It's a joke in KC that the Royals are doing so well ;)
  15. B'omarr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I've been to Fenway too, although it was back in 97. You're right, it is cozy, but it was in dire need of renovation when I was there.

I love how there is a bowling alley underneath it. And Boston bums are the nicest ones I've ever met.

But Cubs fans are way more fun than Red Sox fans. Where else can you hear people sitting in the leftfield stands start chanting "Right field sucks!", while the rightfield stands start chanting "Left field blows!" Ah, good times.

Who do you guys like in college sports? I'm an Arkansas alumnus, so of course I like the SEC in anything.
  16. JediPrincessKas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm a huge Atlanta Braves baseball fan. :D Have been my entire life. It's really the only sport I'm in to. I watch football from time to time also. :)

I'm not big into college sports. Neither one of my parents went to a big name school (My mom didn't even go), and I don't plan on going to one of the big schools either, so my family has never really followed college ball.
  17. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I live, breathe, sleep, and eat Atlanta Braves baseball. I gotta make the journey to Turner before I get any more grey hairs. :p

I'm a Big 12 freak myself. I'm extremely partial to Iowa State (my dad and my brother went there, plus I lived only 15 minutes away from campus) and Colorado (I'll be getting my master's in Spanish there).

I like the SEC as well. Very fun conference. I like Bama and Georgia the best. Very fun football teams to watch.

I go to South Dakota State University. It's a decent school (provided your into nursing, pharmacy, or agriculture) and our state's Board of Regents has recently allowed us to move up to Division I athletics. Yay us!
  18. B'omarr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    My freshman year of college, Arkansas won the NCAA basketball tournament. That was fun. There were people all every where, dancing in the streets.

I was the guy with the lampshade on my head.
  19. TheEmperorsHand Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Once again I don't follow sports and I'm very confused by this conversation, but something John just said compelled me to post....

I was the guy with the lampshade on my head.

*ahem* this = me, 3 years ago [face_mischief]

20. TheEmperorsHand Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    EDIT: wierd sort of double-post
  21. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    1992, right? [face_mischief]

That was also the very same year Arkansas joined the almighty SEC, IIRC.
  22. Leonard_Shelby Force Ghost

star 6
    "And although I'm in Dallas, I am not a Cowboys fan" [face_plain]

"Good, cuz the Cowboys are evil"
    [face_plain]

I HIGHLY suggest that you two watch what you say... :mad: [face_plain]

<------COWBOYS FAN... ;) :cool:

:p
  23. B'omarr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    1992, right?

That was also the very same year Arkansas joined the almighty SEC, IIRC.

Close, it was actually the 1993-1994 season. They joined the SEC the previous season, I think. Arkansas were runners up the next year to UCLA in 1994-1995.

Then all the star players left :( Left me all alone.

Oh, and Alison...nice :D
  24. NarundiJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hehe, nice lampshade, EmperorsHand. :)

I always get a lot of grief when I talk pro baseball, because I'm a Red Sox fan. [face_mischief] And I live in New York. :D

Boo Yankees. . . [face_mischief]

Jae Angel
  25. B'omarr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yes! The Mavericks are up 1-0 on the Spurs, even though they only led in the game for about 67 seconds.

An all Texas final, and one more step in proving Texas superiority although almost none of the players are from Texas, and I'd be surprised if the owners were too. Take that California!

Also, I may be a little late, but I'd like to make a notice that this thread is not for talking about the Huey Lewis and the News album entitled Sports.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.