main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Letterman Rocks!

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Shi-Bandarr, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shi-Bandarr

Shi-Bandarr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2000
    I was just checking out the Late Night home page and there is some hilarious stuff on there. For a man that's been on the air for twenty years he still comes up with some of the most orginal gags you'll find anywhere.

This section here has some really funny clips from previous shows.

If you scroll down towards the bottom you will find a "Star Wars Preview" from 2/24/99. I know alot of you may have seen this before but it was my first time seeing it and I about spit my coffee everywhere.

Another one is how the media covered Letterman's heart surgery. And you can't miss Steve Martin's singing balls.

Check it out. Go. Now! :p

2. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    He is having Mariah Carey on tomorrow, isn't he?

3. Shi-Bandarr

Jul 1, 2000
    Yeah. It's a rerun, but I"ll be watching anyway. :p

EDIT: I just found that the infamous clip of Drew Berrymore is on there too.

//goes to bed happy. :D

4. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Eh, I'm really more of a Conan fan.

5. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

Are you young?

6. Darth_Reign

Oct 7, 2001
    Check the profile.

7. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999
  8. Paranorina

Paranorina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, Conan rocks!

9. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I like Conan alot too

10. M-RdotM-A-N

M-RdotM-A-N Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Letterman sucks, hes old and not funny, and I swear that dude on tha keyboard is lost. Hes laughs at everything and is always starin out at nothing. Confused I say, confused.

11. Darth_Reign

Oct 7, 2001
    Maybe he's into the same stuff that Kevin Eubanks is into.

12. M-RdotM-A-N

Oct 8, 2001
    Thats exactly why I watch Conan, weinberg jus sits there and shrugs, who needs a cacklin sidekick?

13. Crimson

Crimson Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Conan and Dave are equally funny, but their humour differs from one another. It's great cause Dave is on at 11:30 and Conan is on after Butt-chinned, un-funny Leno, at 12:30.

14. Darth_Reign

Oct 7, 2001
    I don't know man, Weinberg's got something going on behind that drumset, I don't know what but there's definately something sinister there.

15. M-RdotM-A-N

Oct 8, 2001
    Jus because you cant see his hands most of tha.....OH MY GOD!

16. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Letterman rules, Conan will never be half as big as Letterman.
    Don't have anything against him btw.

The amazing thing about Letterman is how he manages to stay relevant.
    His show provides all time classic TV moments from as far back as Andy Kaufman getting slapped to as recent as his return from 9/11 episode.

17. MetallicPea

MetallicPea Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Conan is the best. I read in the paper today that Fox may try to lure Conan away to have his show on at 11:00.

18. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I don't think Conan would be half as funny if he was on an hour earlier. He can get away with a lot of stuff since he's on so late. It was the same way with Letterman, his show used to be a lot dirtier when it was on later.

I think both of them are funny, but the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it' applies here I believe.

19. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I won't dispute that Letterman is a late night classic, but I thnk he's lost his edge.

Does anyone remember the big writer's strike in the '80s? That's when Letterman was at his best. They had to rely on goofy sight gags, like pet tricks, human tricks, dropping things from a 4-story building, etc. For me, that was his high point.

He also had a good year when he first went to CBS. Since then, he's often funny, but it's just too inconsistent in my opinion. I think Norm McDonald's portrayal of him on SNL was spot on with his repeating lame jokes such as "Uhh... Ya got any gum?" And the banter with Paul often just simply makes me cringe.

As for Conan, I really love that show. I miss Andy Richter, because he's a comedy genius. It may just be that I prefer tomfoolery, and that's what Conan gives me. Some of the stuff is just so ridiculous that I can't help but laugh.

AYBABTU?

20. MetallicPea

MetallicPea Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Conan has the best writers which helps.

21. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    I agree Letterman's not as great as he once was but that's like saying that the Simpsons or Jordan aren't either.
    Everyone/everything goes past their prime.
    What's great about him (& the Simpsons) is how funny and relevant they manage to remain after being out there so long.

22. Shi-Bandarr

Jul 1, 2000
    That's exactly the way I feel about him Kiki.

I've never really liked Conan, but to each his own. My point is, do you really think that Conan has the kind of staying power that Letterman has? Between "Late Night with David Letterman"(NBC) and the "Late Show with David Letterman"(CBS) they have recieved 66 Emmy nominations. That's hard to compete with.

He's a modern day Ed Sullivan. Barring anymore heart attacks, he's gonna be around for a very long time to come.

23. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Ya, isn't it amazing that he was the young nobody who started making headlines with his antics 20 yrs ago and now he's the elder statesman of talk shows (and still making headlines)?

24. Shi-Bandarr

Jul 1, 2000
    I'd also like to say that, yes sometimes he's a moron with a halfwitted sidekick, but you really can't argue with his success.

"Show me squid!!" -ding

25. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Yeah, ok guys... Letterman is great.

For me to poop on.

AYBABTU?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.