main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Leveling the Field--A Mace POV vignette response to a dare

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Dare: Write a short piece on Mace Windu's POV towards Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Anakin. No dialogue and should include the words 'resonance' 'washing' and 'underwear'. There should be no mention of any other character and you should limit your use of the word 'Force' to three.
    I have always found that, in the Temple, there are very few places where we are all found to be equals. When we are younglings, we have to defer to all. When we are Padawans, we defer to our elders, but revere our Masters. When we are Knights, we are so self-important for a few months that we expect even the Force to defer to us. When we are Masters, we defer to the Council and the Force.

Or, so the theory goes. Qui-Gon Jinn, of course, is a force to be reckoned with, rather than a servant of the power that I allow to direct my every move.

At the Jedi Temple, however, we tend to baffle others in many respects, but there are few things that baffle both us and the outsiders as the need for a central laundry room.

Do not be decieved. Centuries ago, a Master postulated that labor leveled the field for Jedi of every rank. I suppose that's true, since you don't have to defer to a Master's wisdom when you're asking him to pass the fabric softener.

And since the time of that centuries-ago Master, they have changed neither the policy nor the old-fashioned wash-boards that we are expected to use. They are stacked in a neat, but mouldering pile next to the small bins of detergent and directly across from the drying racks. These form a triangle with the washing vat and the smaller rinsing vat is banished to a corner on the east side of the room.

This room, nevertheless, has a kind of magic of its own. It does not have the peace of the meditation chambers or the tranquility of the gardens, but it is indeed a place of equality. I have seen Knights shyly ask accompanying younglings to become their Padawans here. I have seen fights resolved, hearts mended, and friendships formed. Perhaps it is possible to feel a resonance with the higher powers while communing with each other and sodden piles of dirty underwear.

Unlikely, but possible, nonetheless.

Even I am not immune to being grateful for that.

It is late now, since I have to wait until after the Council adjourns to do this duty, so there are only three other beings in the room.

Two of them I recognize, since Jinn and Kenobi are in trouble frequently enough to see the Council on a regular basis even when they haven't been on a mission. The third, however, is a towheaded boy who does not seem to remember the admonition to avoid loud laughter and lightmindedness in these hallowed halls.

This is strange, since in a dozen years of seeing Qui-Gon and his apprentice together, they have never been accompanied by a child. More strange is the fact that the stoic Obi-Wan is up to his elbows in bubbles and saying something to the child in a conspiratorial whisper while glancing at his Master.

Laundry levels us all, but I do not believe that this show of disrespect should go unpunished. Both of those young ones should know better...

No, perhaps this is not true. He is not one of us, but is dressed in homespun clothes that belong on the Outer Rim.

Most curious.

I will reserve my reprimand for another day. Perhaps it is another one of Qui-Gon's orphans, the strays that he brings home from a mission and this one simply hasn't been passed on to Republic Welfare and Repatriation yet.

This is curious, since we have no word of change in the Naboo system and they were to have returned only when the blockade was removed. I know that they are scheduled for debriefing in the morning, but I am tempted to demand an explanation for their presence here at this very moment.

In front of a guest, however, I am more reserved. He cannot be more than ten years old, but I will not dishonor his hosts in his presence.

No harm done, I suppose, but I shall have to speak to Qui-Gon about that Padawan of his once we are rid of this unlik

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful response to this difficult challenge! I didn't craft that challenge, mind you. I just passed along the evil! [face_devil]

Bravo! =D=

3. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah, thanks. Who can I credit for the challenge?

4. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    I think that was a spare one of mine.

Brilliantly done Ish!

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, thanks for the spare and the review.

6. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Hee! Great job! That was really cute! Mace is such a rule-follower, isn't he?

I also had quite a giggle thinking about the Jedi doing their laundry! [face_laugh]

Awesome!

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    It was roughly based on when I was in the Missionary training center. We had this place that we called the Vault because it was the biggest place we went that wasn't an auditorium and it was for all of the laundry that the missionaries had to do. There would be like 300 people in there at any given time, doing their laundry and we had so many good conversations and made friends there.

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Jedi Masters doing their own laundry? :eek: :eek: :eek:

That would be a sight to see :D

Well done

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, I can just see Yoda with a washboard twice his height...

10. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    [face_laugh]

This was a fantastic piece Ish! I love it!

Serious and funny at the same time.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks, Kate dear. :)

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    An awesome response to a ridiculous challenge! BRILLIANT Ish! :D

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks, mijita.

14. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow... what an interesting pov! We never see much of Mace's pov in fics and you did a fantastic job working with his character.. It'd be interesting to know his thoughts *after* he finds out who Anakin really is... [face_batting]

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Interesting plot bunny idea there. And thank you so much for the r/r.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.