Lewis Black Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Glockenspiel, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glockenspiel Jedi Knight

star 1
    Man, this guy is never...un-hilarious. Any one catch yesterdays 'Back and Black' which pretty much reaffirms that he's the ONLY guy on the 'Daily Show' in which the laughter is not forced. But yeah, anything on Mr. Black post here I'll throw out some of my favorite lines (probably won't be as funny unless you can imagine the most pissed off ready to go postal person in the world saying them).

Favorite Lewis Black quotes:

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have made it through that year in college."

"Over there right across from the Starbucks...was a Starbucks!"

"This is Grand Theft Auto 3. The object of this game? Who cares! I'm too busy randomly hitting an old lady with a bat!!"
  2. Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Lewis Black is hilarious, but I wouldn't even remotely say he is the only funny guy on the Daily Show. I love that show.
  3. TremontiFan23 Force Ghost

star 3
    I love the "Back in Black" segments, but c'mon, the only guy? Jon Stewart's headlines, Stev(ph)en Colbert/Carell, Mo Rocca, Ed Helms... etc. etc. etc. All hilarious.

One of the funniest shows on television.
  4. RubberDuckyfromSpace Jedi Master

star 4
    I have to agree that the entire cast of the daily show is excellent, though I will say that Lewis Black has the best delivery.
  5. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    He had two or three comedy specials on Comedy Central. I'm trying to tape them. They're really funny.
  6. TheFallen Jedi Master

star 4
    Lewis Black is probably the most hilarious "Comedy Central Presents..." that I ever saw.

(On living in Boston)"I was about to slit my wrists - just so I could see something in color!"

I also have to agree about the Daily Show. Jon Stewart is one of my favorite comedians. I really miss seeing him on the Daily Show, now that I have to get up in the morning.
  7. Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Master

star 4
    Lewis Black, funniest man alive and my personal hero.

I'm serious, I have an unnatural fascination with men in black: Johnny Cash, Bono, Batman, Darth Vader, and Lewis Black.

I've seen him live twice, and he's just unbelievably funny. First time was at a show sponsored by my college's University Program Council. In other words, a FREE SHOW. There was a crowd standing in the back of the ballroom and in the DOORWAY just to see the guy.

Second time, here in Pittsburgh, just a few short weeks after 9/11/01. It was the first time after that attack that I really, honest-to-God laughed. I laughed so hard I HURT.

(To be in the same room as Lewis Black as he shakes in anger over the abject stupidity of this planet is to truly live.)

Mr. Black was selling his CD after the show, and I had a chance to meet him, shake his hand, and get him to autograph the copy I bought.

(He looked at me funny when I told him my name's Bubba.)

(I get that a lot.)

(YES, my name's Bubba.)

If you EVER have a chance to see him live, do so. Go to his website, check out his schedule, and buy his CD's. RIGHT NOW.

One caveat: he swears. A good bit. If you don't like profanity, don't buy the CD.

(Lewis actually addresses his profanity problem: "I know I use the word 'f---' a lot, and I'd apologize, but I don't give a sh--.")

And if it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.
  8. DarthBeer Jedi Master

star 2
    that whole thing about the international house of pancakes is hilarious.

"i'll say that again, if it werent for my horse, ::clapity clap::, i wouldent have made it through that year of college"
  9. Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Master

star 4
    To keep this germaine to "The Amphitheatre," I'd like to post the following little know fact about Mr. Black, from the biography in his website:

"Mr. Black is a graduate of the Yale Drama School and has written more than 40 plays which have been produced around the world."

A few questions:

Has anyone seen any of his plays? If so, what were they like?

Does any drama professional know where one could buy a play to read at home?
  10. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Lewis Black is one of my favorite performers. We just missed out on seeing him at The FunnyBone in Pittsburgh, but I got to meet him. I'm sure you'll agree, Bubba, that in person he's very quiet and polite.

And, no, I didn't know he wrote plays. I'd love to get one!

The amazing thing about his comedy is that he's so likeable while being very honest about the state of the world, politics and very touchy subjects. He knows just the right balance to hit to make his point.
  11. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm just going to chime in here. If you're going to post, make sure you do more than just tell what you love about this person. The Amphitheatre isn't meant to be the home of Fan Clubs. As long as you discuss something about him, this thread is fine. If you want to rant and rave about Lewis Black, though, and "gush" about him, please take it to the YJCC. Thanks. :)

*note: I'm only mentioning this because of how the thread started off
  12. Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Master

star 4
    To further discussion, I must ask:

Lewis Black: do you laugh AT him, or WITH him?

Do you laugh AT him as the stereotypical "angry white male"? Or do you laugh WITH him, finding the things he ridicules worthy of ridicule?

To a degree, I laugh at him: being that volatile CAN be funny, particularly because I can get into the same mode of ranting myself. By laughing at him, I learn to laugh at myself.

But I also laugh with him: I think there ARE things that SHOULD make us angry or bewildered, and I applaud him for taking no prisoners.

(Quick aside: from meeting him in person, he REALLY is a nice guy, the result, I'm sure, of cathartically screaming at an audience for an hour and a half. ;))

(And he DID do about a 90 minute show at my old school, Auburn University.)

On with the discussion!

Bubba
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.