main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY LGA Table Top Gaming thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    So. *ahem* Um. Here is a thread I thought we could use to talk about star wars table top games. Mainly because of the new one that just came out called X-Wing (by fantasy flight games). I know I am interested in this game, and I think Mika is too. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=174

I don't want to limit the discussion here to just the new game X-wing; as The Warz has been a part of table top gaming since for ever (West End Games, Star Wars Risk, WOTC Miniature Battles, Full Thrust, jeez even Star Wars Monopoly).

I will say I played three rounds of X-Wing this weekend using my own models (not the ones for the game) and had a lot of fun. Playtime lasted from 20 minutes to 3 hours. Oh, and I did take pictures. I'll post them soon.

The rules for the new game are easy to pick up, you just have to play a game before you really "get it."
    The Rules are online here as a pdf: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support/SWX01_XwingCoreRulebook_lowres.pdf

So........ thoughts? Has anyone else played this game yet? Does any LGA'ers want to play this or any other game?

Luv,
    Jammies

2. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  3. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Okay, so that was my first time posting a pic to a thread. So, I am sorry if it is too big or if I did it wrong. But, those are my three rebel fighters off to fight the Empire!

4. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    sounds cool. i'll think about it, bro.

5. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm interesting in giving it a shot.

6. New Vanck

New Vanck Jedi Padawan

Oct 18, 2012
    If I had ti.e, I would play :)

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Was going to pick up the starter kit at the comic store yesterday and they were out. Good thing I guess, that means there are other players out there, we just have to find them. I'm hoping they restock by next week or I'll go to amazon. I did pick up a set of the funky dice though.
    They have gaming tables for use there, might be cool to play in a public place like that, if other poeple see us having fun they might want to join in.

8. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    I'll play, but I'll have to use someone elses game. Sounds pretty fun to me.

9. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Twisty, can use my game anytime you like!

In fact, I'm trying to go cheep too: as I feel that I already have enough ship models, I don't need anymore. In the above pic, and in any more I can post, you will see dice and tools and cards from the main set-- but those models are from my collection (and are about twice the size as the ones in the game), and what I did was find plastic bases the same size as the ones for the game and superglued a small nylon hex nut to it, then attached the stem to it and the stem to my model.

For the ships from the game, they come with movement dials (and the rules have players dial in their movements secretly and reveal them during the movement phase). Well, my buddy and I did just fine with graph paper and writing down our movements and using the honor system. Each "action" a ship performs requires one to place the corresponding "action token" next to the ship model. Again, we just wrote those down on graph paper as well when we ran out of tokens.

We also used an excel spreadsheet of all the game cards (pilot cards, upgrade cards, damage cards, etc) that we referred to during the game. My system will not get me into any tournaments, and is not as slick as actually buying more cards and ships and dials, but it "got er dun" and I think my models look much prettier then the ones that come in the box.

However, not everyone has a bunch of x-wing models just sitting on a shelf; and some people want to play tournaments or at least play a pick up game in a gamestore without getting made fun of for having homemade fun of by other nerds because they have the Dolly Parton Coat of Many Colors homemade version of the game. My advise is that is really is a fun game, and the price point is high but you do get some quality peices, and the models that come with the game are very well done-- so if you are interested go buy it!

But be savvy. Decide what faction would most want to play (rebels or empire) and just buy those models and the base set. No need to buy one of each ship if you never intend to field an X-wing. Look on-line at the sites I posted, and their message boards and see what types of ships you would like to play, and just buy those. My 100 point rebel team was two X-wings and a Y-wing; which would have been from one box set, one X-wing expansion pack, and one Y-wing expansion pack. So, 50 bucks maybe? Cheaper then a video game, and I think more re-playable. My buddy's 100 point imperial squad had 7 TIE fighters and Darth Vader's Tie Advanced. So, if he would have bought that, he would have gotten two TIES from the base set, 5 more from expansion packs, and the Vader pack. So, 90 bucks? Not cheep, but cheaper then trying to buy multiples of all the expansion packs. (Note: wanna play but on a budget, go rebel and buy on-line)

Again, I just used what I had around the house plus the base set-- and we did just fine. If anyone wants to play me, just let me know and I will bring my stuff over ANYTIME.
    Jammies
    Mika, I will get your stuff back to you soon. ( I'm playing around in MS Paint, to see if I can come up with a more elegant solution than graph paper. )

VoxDeamonicus likes this.
  10. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    Dolly Parton Coat of Many Colors

i just pee'd a bit, i laughed so hard.

11. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    WHA? HUH! you lost me at I'm trying to go cheep too.[face_beatup]

Not really but it does sound like it could be fun for 20-180 min of time. I'm intereested also, Now if I could just get Zannah interested.

HMMMMMM scracthes head while looking up to the right[face_idea]
    maybe if some more females were interested!![face_praying]
    Sara, 11-11 how about it? ^:)^

12. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Where did I lose you Chief? I will adimt, a lot of coffee went into my last post--as well as run on sentances.

My point was suposed to be: if you want to buy and play the game but are on a budget--think about what ships you would want to play as and JUST buy those (and not buy them all). Also, I was pointing out that if you play as the rebels you would spend less money as rebels feild fewer ships in this game (and ships are sold seperatly)

My other point was that I am just making up my own stuff to playt he game. Homemade, like the coat from the Dolly Parton song (mad props to vox for picking up the reference). I did buy the starter set (45$)with the rules at C6: but the ships I played with were all models i own anyway (0$--well, 10 bucks a model plus paint glue and labor but modeling is my hobby anyway), attached to plastic bases the same size as the ones from the game (10 cents each) via a nylon thread hex nut from a hardwear store (5 cents each) and i tracked movemnts on graph paper instead of buying the official movement dial (0$, got it at work), and used a spreadsheet we found online for ship stats (0$). Oh! It's also pretty! And cheep! Other than the cost of the starter set, I was just out a few bucks at lowes.

What say I just bring my stuff over sometime soon and we all try out the game? And if anyone has thier own ships bring em too!

Trust me. This is a fun game! And super easy to learn. We will have 11 fraging my x-wings in no time!

Did that clear it up Appo?

13. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    No, No, No, Jammies
    I understood in the first post bu,t thanks for adding extra info to make it easier for this Soilder to understand.

14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for the low budget tips Jammies.

Here's a video for you visual learners (like me)
    (Sorry I can't seem to get a "Clean" embed, not sure what I'm doing wrong but it sorta works)

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

15. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Thanks Mika on the vid.[face_thinking] Any little bit helps.

Thought I'd add something more like my character in action pose...to my avatar.

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    The dice apps do more than just the "special x-wing" dice, but all types of gaming dice. Of course, if you wanted to go cheep-- you could realise that these are just 8 sided die, and that each X-Wing Dice have 2 blanks, 2 evades, 2 focus, 2 hits, and 2 crit results. So one could, in theory, use an 8 sided die and say that a 1,2 = a blanck, a 3,4, = an evade, etc.
    :)

18. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Thanks Mika,
    Now, one of my winter projects is to get my APPO together so I can sport it this coming year..

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Okay I picked up a starter set at the comic shop yesterday so we should have enough stuff to give it a go. I just have to dig into it this weekend .

20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I need to give you back your stuff Mika.

21. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  22. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Hey Jammies,

That looks pretty good from just the little I've seen of the game so far. Just use the Dry erase to mark what your doing and turn it over during the game? Did I get that right?

23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Cool. Was it helpful?

24. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Appo: Rodger Rodger! Yeah, using a dry erase marker will be a lot easier and cheeper than buying dials and tokens and cards. Plus, I can even start making up my own pilot cards "Flight Leader Jammies, ACTION: ship explodes upon sight of space deer.

Mika: VERY!

25. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Question and it might have already been answered:
    Is there a cheat sheet that tells you what the symbols/numbers/levels/abiliites or just gives you the basic info. For us new guys it would be helpful and assist us in keeping up with you ole timers.

Clone leader APPO to Flight Leader Jammies,
    Couldn't that be;
    ACTION: ship explodes upon hyperspace smash into space stag?.