main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Liam Neeson agrees the acting is "wooden"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by hawk, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think it came down to Lucas not wanting to spend the money it would have taken to get Liam into the studio, when Liam isn't even making an appearacne in the film.

All of the SW actors will tell you that it is much more challenging to work with blue screen. But most of them enjoy being in the movies despite that.

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I think it came down to Lucas not wanting to spend the money it would have taken to get Liam into the studio, when Liam isn't even making an appearacne in the film.

"not wanting to spend the money" ?!
    That film cost $130 million! I find that explanation somewhat lacking.

g

3. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    If Liam loved it enough he would've done it for a dollar. 8-}

The writer who mis-interpereted Liam before used some of his actual quotes as well.

You're really assuming that the latest journalist is mis-interpreting his quotes. Had it been the other way around, with Liam citing TPM as one of of the greatest epic masterpieces of all time, I'd doubt you'd question the integrity of the writer there.

Ex) I think the Premiere magazine interview where Liam says TPM is a modern mythic fable for our times was really twisting Liam's actual words and taking them out of context. The journalist was so star-struck and excited by the TPM hype that they couldn't keep out such adoring phrases. After all, they had to sell a few extra magazines right? ;)

4. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I am not accusing him of bending the truth, I am accusing him of presenting his interperetation of what Neeson said instead of actually quoting him in context.

That is how journalists report man. You are accusing him of doing his job. You see, in Newpapers and magazine, they don't just print whole quotes. They "report" and incorporate quotes. He reported what Liam said and incorporated SOME of the quotes from the interview. You choose to think he is lying and have absolutely NO evidence other than some journalists lie. Good job.

Here is a report: "TF.NET is made up of SW fans and one fan 'believes SW is the best' and hopes to contine watching it well into old age". Here I presented what someone said without directly quoting him. This doesn't mean I am lying or being deceitful. It's how people report for crying out loud!

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    This guys "job" is to make his article as "sensational" as he can.

I am just saying it isn't as accurate as presenting Liam's actual words in the context they were said.

6. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Of course it isn't as accurate but that doesn't mean it isn't accurate. And his job is to report from what he heard. Whether he is sensationalising what Neeson said is only in your head. You have no proof other than what people may have done from time to time.

7. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    What, so now we're arguing whether or not Liam did say the things he said about the PT? I thought it was an established fact.

8. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    Here's a random Star Wars article, an interview with Samuel L. Jackson defending Jar Jar Binks:

Jackson defends Jar Jar Binks

Attack Of The Clones star Samuel L Jackson has slammed fans and critics who have branded Star Wars character Jar Jar Binks racist.

Some have claimed that the animated Gungan, who first appeared in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, he's little more than a bad racial stereotype. Jar Jar's case hasn't been helped by the fact that he's voiced by black actor Ahmed Best.

"I thought it [the fuss] was pretty stupid," Jackson said recently, adding, "The fact that Ahmed was doing that character may have sent people to that place. But people want to find things, or they want to assign things to everything. And that's not always necessary."

Binks returned in Episode II: Attack Of The Clones but his role has been substantially reduced. Jackson, meanwhile, urged fans to take a step back and just accept the character for what he is.

"They're aliens, let it go [and] enjoy the movie," he reasoned.

I think the journalist is taking Jackson's quotes out of context and is inaccurately interpreting his actual words. Much of the article aren't even quotes from Jackson, but additions but by the writer. Bad article! :p

9. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    How dare he! This wouldn't be the first time a journalist put words into Sam Jackson't mouth!

10. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    That's a horrible article! Sam Jackson should sue for having his words twisted out of context!

11. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Loco_for_Lucas commented on the recent thread started by hawk at TF.NET. He mentioned in a rather sarcastic fashion that "Sam Jackson should sue for having his words twisted out of context!" hawk responded by taking his very words out of context but still conveying the message of the post. Hopefully he has made his point.

12. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I agree. I'm sure he never meant to imply that he was the STAR of AOTC.

;)

AND NOW, A RANT.

What the hell has been going on in this thread for the past four pages? We're now arguing over things that in some cases WEREN'T EVEN QUOTED? This is worse than the arguments over the word "THE" in "The Jedi Master who taught me". At least that ONE WORD was DEFINITELY SAID and IN THE MOVIE!
    It is official. We have crossed the threshold. We have moved beyond the discussion of the miniscule and into the non-existent, and within weeks I expect us to be discussing "negative wordspace", that is to say, things said in or about SW only in a parallel universe that depends on events in the timeline presented not happening.

Go-Mer, I'm pretty sure the journalist didn't mean to twist anyone's words around. And y'know what, let's say he did... let's say he's a mean, horrible, prejudiced journalist who's hated Lucas ever since the days of THX-1138, and he's out for blood and he uses poor Liam as a pawn in his sick game.

Does it really matter?

END OF RANT.
    WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD.

(The above rant was intended as humor. Imagine Robin Williams shrieking it aloud if it helps.)

Rick McCallum loves you!

13. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Go-Mer, I'm pretty sure the journalist didn't mean to twist anyone's words around. And y'know what, let's say he did... let's say he's a mean, horrible, prejudiced journalist who's hated Lucas ever since the days of THX-1138, and he's out for blood and he uses poor Liam as a pawn in his sick game.

LMFAO

I love the way you word things, Adam.

14. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Thanks. [face_blush] For my next rant, hang out in the CT forum and wait for one more thread asking about the OE DVDs or those two guys in the Emperor's throne room.

But this would bring me to the point of discussing posters, not films... :eek:

Anyway, back to the topic.

Hey, look. I LIKE how the SW actors are honest and willing to talk about what they like and didn't like.

I said something like this in another thread, and it applies here... "I bet everyone who worked on Kangaroo Jack said the film was wonderful, a great achievement, and that they were really proud of it."

I'd rather have Liam say he thought he came off wooden, or have Alec Guinness offer his opinion of the "mumbo jumbo" that Joe Fanboy considers epic and classic, or have everyone (Lucas included) make fun of the famous "faster and more intense", than sit through a prepackaged press quote about "oh isn't it wonderful to have the cinematic genius that is the eopie-fart shot".

Because, while I love these movies to death, I think we all need to get off our high horses and realize that they're just silly fun movies, not, as Punisher so well put it, "a gift from Lord Lucas".

And that goes all across the board, from the eopie fart (worst moment in SW history says me!) to my beloved favorite ANH (greatest film ever made IMHO, but that doesn't mean I won't take pot shots at Luke's haircut and the awful, wretched cantina aliens).

Because Star Wars has lasted 25 years of attacks from filmgoers, film critics and filmmakers more influential, eloquent and talented than I, and I don't think my lack of taking it so freakin' seriously is going to hurt the franchise. Don't worry George! I'll still buy an Episode III ticket! You are safe! :p

If I want official gushing from the source, I'll visit StarWars.com, pick up the latest Star Wars Insider or visit Rick McCallum's house when he's wearing his Official Producer Hat.

(Hey, I'm not stupid, I know how the movie business works, and SOMEONE has to provide the optimistic sound bites for the press... the producer is a fine choice. Like I always say, NEVER TRUST A PRODUCER.)

Eh, I'm probably persona non grata at Casa McCallum at this point, given my slanderous treatment of his name thusly:

Rick McCallum loves you!*
    * Side note: If I could get some sign from him that he knows this phrase exists, I'd be the happiest SW fan around, even if I hated Episode III. :D

15. hoth-nudist

hoth-nudist Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    I admire liam's honesty. I thought his performance was great and stood out(which isnt hard). I completely agree with the article. SW has gotten very silly and cannot be taken seriously, thanks to Luca$' interpretation of the PT.

16. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    What the hell has been going on in this thread for the past four pages? We're now arguing over things that in some cases WEREN'T EVEN QUOTED? This is worse than the arguments over the word "THE" in "The Jedi Master who taught me".

Hey now, the "the" argument is not only a good argument, it shows the irrefutable proof of revisionism, which bashers have been saying all along.

*waits for Scott to pop in and disagree* ;)

17. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    SW has gotten very silly and cannot be taken seriously, thanks to Luca$' interpretation of the PT.

I didn't know that Star Wars ever suppose to be a dramtic saga, nor do I think it was ever meant to be. It was inspired by the serials of the 1950s, and was never meant to be anything more than action/sci-fi saga with some dramatic undertones in the plot at times.

As for your implementation that Lucas did the PT merely for money. I don't really think that could hold water considering he made enough money off Star Wars pre-PT to last him for several lifetimes. If him being greedy were the case, then why didn't he prostitute AOTC to no end with advertising markets when it was released in 2002?

18. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    the serials of the 1950s

psst -- surely you mean 1930s? ;) Flash Gordon, Lucas' seeming favorite of the bunch (or at least the one most credited with influencing him), had his film adventures debut in 1936-1938-1940.

Rick McCallum loves you!

19. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Pfft!

1950s serials...

1930s serials...

Who can tell the difference. ;)

20. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    If TPM was more 40's, then AOTC naturally should be more of the 50's vein following that formulation, Ep. III would be more latter 50's or so, making ANH the 70's. Perfect ;)

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    If the journalists don't mean to twist their words around, then why is it that the one guy reported Liam wanted to leave the film industry after TPM? Did Liam say that and then publically deny saying it?

I think some of these "journalists" are just like the rest of us. Some of us like Lucas, and others demonize him any chance they get.

22. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    >>> We have moved beyond the discussion of the miniscule and into the non-existent, and within weeks I expect us to be discussing "negative wordspace", that is to say, things said in or about SW only in a parallel universe that depends on events in the timeline presented not happening.

That is discouraged in the TFN Forums. It's generally called a "canon war"
    8-}

>>>Hey now, the "the" argument is not only a good argument, it shows the irrefutable proof of revisionism, which bashers have been saying all along.

Well, I disagree with the "revisionism" bit...

>>>Scott, can you post that article?

If I remember to pick it up next time I go home (and the magazine is where I left it!) then sure. But if you can find a copy of the Sunday Times Magazine from around May 1999 with Darth Maul on the cover, it's in there.

Do you know when he denied saying that he'd quit?

23. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    psst -- surely you mean 1930s? Flash Gordon, Lucas' seeming favorite of the bunch (or at least the one most credited with influencing him), had his film adventures debut in 1936-1938-1940.

And 50's. Done by a different company, I believe. A friend of mine has them on DVD and says they're the worst of the bunch. Although they were made for TV, if that makes a difference.

If the journalists don't mean to twist their words around, then why is it that the one guy reported Liam wanted to leave the film industry after TPM?

I remember that.

>>>Hey now, the "the" argument is not only a good argument, it shows the irrefutable proof of revisionism, which bashers have been saying all along.

Well, I disagree with the "revisionism" bit...

You know it to be true, Scott. You cannot resist "the" argument forever! 8-}

24. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    If the journalists don't mean to twist their words around, then why is it that the one guy reported Liam wanted to leave the film industry after TPM? Did Liam say that and then publically deny saying it?

Obviously that is a separate issue that you have a problem with. Not all journalists go out of their way to twist people's words and you have no proof that this one is.

25. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002

Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.