main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Liam Neeson agrees the acting is "wooden"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by hawk, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoth-nudist

hoth-nudist Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    exactly, and journalists dont need to twist words around, they know how silly the PT is anyway.

2. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    << If the journalists don't mean to twist their words around, then why is it that the one guy reported Liam wanted to leave the film industry after TPM? Did Liam say that and then publically deny saying it? >>

That comment was never about TPM. It was about..... The Haunting. And people tiwsted it around as if he said it about TPM. Liam denied it and made it clear that it was about The Haunting.

Fact is, Liam loved working on TPM and with Lucas, despite the frustrating challenges of blue screen work.

But he seemed to me to have no problem pulling it off, cause to me, his acting was top notch. Right up there with Guiness. Liam to me was how I always imagined a great Jedi.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I have repeatedly said I wasn't accusing this writer of twisting Liam's words. I am just saying it is extremely possible he did.

Why else do you think Liam had to clarify that he loved working on Episode I and with Lucas? It's almost as if Liam could see where the "writer" was trying to take things.

4. Kyp_Athlon

Kyp_Athlon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2002
    I agree, I thought Liam gave one of the better performances in the movie.

Sometimes big name actors distract me from their performances just because they are bigger then the role they are playing, in this instance it wasn't the case.

I would also offer that most artists are ill equiped to critique their own work. To create art, whether its acting, sculpting, film making or singing, is to open yourself up to the world, you are making yourself vunerable, it takes guts and confidence and in the end you will always be harder on yourself then those who see it from the outside

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Well unless you are Lucas, where nobody could be harder on him than his own "fans". Not even Lucas himself could be that hard to please.

6. Kyp_Athlon

Kyp_Athlon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2002
    Go-Mer-Tonic

I agree wholeheartedly, I swing back forth from reverence to repulsed by what I see and read about StarWars and its creator. I don't know what it is about it all that polarizes so many, including myself.

I suppose if we all felt the same way about it all (On the good side) we'd have nothing to talk about.

No matter how I feel about a particular SW film, I think they are good for genre entertainment in the long run. So if that means more TPM' s compared to ESB's so be it. It means we at least get a chance to see other fantastical things no one else would have dared to dream about.

Bring it on!

7. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    I honestly don't care who likes SW or who doesn't.

I got a lot of crap in school when I was younger many many years back cause I was a SW fan. And I wasn't even fanataical. I didn't wear the shirts or read the books or whatever. I had two posters in my room and in some trunk I had my old SW toys.

I still got flack. I remember one time, the only time I bought a SW book, it was during tennis camp. I bought it, had it in the bag, and this cute girl I dug and who also dug me but we didn't know each other very well, sat next to me and we started talking about this and that. She asked me towards the end what i bought. I was hesitant, but she took the book out of the bag and the reaction on her face was a blow.

But you know what, I'm stil a fan to this day.

I don't care what other people think.

But what does bother me, is that many times I see reporters taking an almost joyous, malicious glee in cutting down Lucas. As if it's their highlight.

That bothers me. Not because it affects me, because it doesn't. I just find it petty.

I would feel that way if it was towards anyone. Just let the man do what he wants. Who cares if not everyone likes it. He didn't go out and hurt anyone.

8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    son - maybe she really liked the SW movies, but was a hardcore EU basher. ?[face_plain]

// still no consolation

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    "I have repeatedly said I wasn't accusing this writer of twisting Liam's words. I am just saying it is extremely possible he did."

10. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Nah, Adam.

Lets face it, as much as some fans on these boards would love to think, Star Wars was never seen as a "cool" thing.

While not seen on the same level as geekdom as Star Trek, it was still a geeky thing.

11. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I have repeatedly said I wasn't accusing this writer of twisting Liam's words. I am just saying it is extremely possible he did.

Why else do you think Liam had to clarify that he loved working on Episode I and with Lucas? It's almost as if Liam could see where the "writer" was trying to take things.

Or he realised what he said himself was a little too much. That's the way I read it. Anyway, your allegations are based on your own need to defend SW to the last breath. Lucas himself could turn up at the Basher's Sanctuary and you would say he is having a bad day. :)

12. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Except Liam on many other times has backed that up by saying that he enjoyed doing TPM and working with Lucas and had fun, despite some of the wooden acting, which he always admited to.

13. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Well unless you are Lucas, where nobody could be harder on him than his own "fans".

Go-Mer, two words: Rick Berman.

14. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    The prequels are kind of crap, I like the CW and the fall of Anakin and some of its themes but overall its crap.

15. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Frank, your comments had WHAT to do with the specifics of this thread? (Liam, acting, woodenness... and Go-Mer's conspiracy theory, lol)
    To the basher's sanctuary with random complaints.

Rick McCallum loves you!

16. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Yes, to the Sanctuary with you. We will mold your bashing into proper form [face_devil]

17. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    It's Neeson's opinion that the acting is wooden, and I disagree. End of debate.

18. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Holy crap, Durwood's alive.

They're all comin' out of the woodwork lately.

Rick McCallum loves you!

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    They only come out at night.... :p

Anyway, I agree with Durwood. A: Neeson's acting is wonderful, not wooden at all and very entertaining. B: The acting in general in TPM is not wooden, except for Natalie Portman who is a bit wooden in parts...

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Conspiracy theory? That would imply there were more than one writer invovled.

Are any of you going to try and tell me that people are never misrepresented by the press?

I am not saying that's what happened here, but I am pointing out that most of that article ends up being the "interperetation" of what he assumes Liam is feeling.

In that case, I can't take it as what Liam felt. Especially when he felt the need to repeat himself about enjoying his work on Episode I.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a writer has twisted his words into an unfounded anti-TPM or Lucas sentiment.

21. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    For all you know, your own assumptions may be a misrepresentation of what Neeson feels...

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    So you both agree that one cannot completely trust everything one reads. Good job! :)

23. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Having once been a Poli Sci major, yes, you can't trust what you read. ;)

24. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    All I am saying is if this guy would have simply quoted what Neeson and he actually said during their conversation, instead of filtering it through his own feelings, I would be able to take it at face value.

25. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    But that wouldn't be a news article, it would be a transcript. And even then, people would still cast blame on the journalist like saying he was asking questions that would lead to a specific answer or something. That's one of the perils of journalism. It doesn't matter how it's presented, people will find some way to cast doubt onto a reporting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.