main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Liam Neeson Possibly Returning to the Star Wars Franchise??

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Tyler, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    Disappointed in the hate is all. The PT wasn't great but Qui-Gon is still my favorite Star Wars character. imo he's the ideal Jedi.

We all talk about how the Prequel Trilogy Jedi are arrogant and hypocritical. Who did Obi-Wan emulate as a young Jedi? Yoda and the other Jedi Masters. He resisted Jinn's defiance. Yet over time, by the OT, he essentially became more like Qui-Gon Jinn, and less like the Jedi of old (learning from Jinn's Force Ghost, the first of its kind, certainly contributed to this). But he and Yoda only saw the error of their ways after years or war and numerous acts of betrayal. These extreme circumstances made the weaknesses of the Council abundantly clear.

On the other hand, Qui-Gon Jinn had the wisdom and conviction to adhere to his own set of ideals during a time in which the Jedi exercised their will over the galaxy in the manner in which they most saw fit. He also forfeited being a member of the council as a result. (Think about everybody you know that has compromised something about themselves for career advancement, and then consider how difficult it would be to be in Jinn's shoes, on the precipice of being on the Jedi Council.) Yet, through this, he did not take offense and spurn the order, the Jedi, and the Light side like his former Master Count Dooku. He stayed true to the Light side, true to himself, and accepted the consequences from his Jedi Master peers.

He is, essentially, Luke before Luke: a Jedi which seeks to do good, yet also has the conviction to act in accordance with his own beliefs, even if it goes against the beliefs of the supposed embodiment of good within the galaxy. Do we think Darth Vader's son would've fit in with the Jedi, either? Even after going into exile and learning about their mistakes, he clashes with Obi Wan and Yoda as they try to manipulate him. Qui Gon's ability to both defy the Jedi Council, and stay true to himself and the Light side would've provided Anakin with a Master from whom he could've emulated and not felt conflicted between Light and Dark. Jinn was a Jedi that was balanced in the Force, like Anakin could've been, and like we believe Luke to have been following the events of Endor.

Nevermind that Liam Neeson himself is awesome, as the movie Taken would later prove, which in itself created an entire genre of (mediocre) Liam Neeson action movies. ; )

"Dull" couldn't be further from the truth in my mind. It's just that Phantom Menace isn't his story so we don't see his conflict like we do Kenobi, Anakin and Luke.

Trebor Sabreon and nightangel like this.
  2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I fully agree and Qui-Gon would have been the much better master for Anakin and he would have understood his conflict. He was my favourite character in the PT, too bad he was only in TPM. :( I also love Liam in the Taken series. :)

3. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    You're disappointed there are those who weren't enamoured with him as much as you are? I like Liam Neeson the actor. He was great in Rob Roy, Schindlers List, The Mission (although De Niro was the lead) and the first Taken was good. It's the blandness of the character of Qui Gonn I dislike, not the actor who played him. He was straight edge and stoic. And Liam played him exactly that way. But Maul killed him. And then Obi Wan killed Maul. So he's better ;)

4. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I still think Qui-Gon's character was underdevelopped in TPM and he was killed too early, because they wanted to get rid of a mentor. But he was a much more interesting character than many others in the PT with backstory to explore. ;)

5. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    This is what happens when you give responsibility to a purple dinosaur...

6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Well personally I feel he didn't actually need to be in TPM. Personally, I feel the whole film was unnecessary to the PT story. But I'm not going to get into that with you.

7. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    It would be fascinating to hear George's take on what Anakin's journey would've been like if Jinn lived. Then again, it would probably change mid-explanation lol

I was just surprised at the successive posters thinking he was dull, and was really just making a joke from it since Jinn is in my avatar. I've never actually made the case for why I like him so much, so I took your response as an invitation to do so. : )

But now you're just goading me. *deep breath*

[​IMG]

It's actually ironic Jinn has become my favorite character because I fully agree with this sentiment. I was actually annoyed they created the character because it conflicted with the line in the OT about Yoda training Kenobi. Creating Jinn also meant an unnecessary retcon.

hartman89 likes this.
  8. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Ok and no problem when we have here a different feeling about Qui-Gon's character. ;)

Jcuk likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't know if he will return but if he does I would be happy.

nightangel and hartman89 like this.
  10. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Me too, plus Yoda DID teach him some things, but "training" was a bad retcon that was a bit bothersome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.