main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Liam Neeson to join TCW! (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by stevehamann, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I think it's understandable that he ignites his lightsaber. However, his reaction lacks surprise to see a Force Ghost, specially from his old master. I hope this reaction is more understandable in the episode.

2. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    The logical explanation for that would be that QG is the first to learn how to retain one's identity, and OW is the first to learn how to 'appear'.

I'm not saying it's impossible though, just not likely. But yeah, who knows. :)

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They imply otherwise. It's not that one must be trained to see a Force ghost. The example of Luke (#1) says otherwise. It's that according to ROTS one must be trained to commune with Qui-Gon ( who has no visible ghost ).

Interesting...

4. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    That is a good point (they're both basically the same point) that I confess I hadn't considered before. I suppose our only option is to wait and see if it actually is a Force ghost, and if that is the direction they're going, how it's executred. Although I will say Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have a very special relationship as master and Padawn (see Jedi Apprentice series), and that strong connection may have something to do with it if that is the direction they're going in.

5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    My apologies if this has already been addressed by someone. I posted this one Rebelscum.com when the Qui-Gon preview was first released, and I only joined up here today:

I think this ?Mortis? trilogy may indeed explain a lot about the nature of the Force... in a way that is beneficial to the universe. I think that Mortis (meaning in Latin, of death) is in fact the Netherworld of the Force spoken about by Yoda in Revenge of the Sith. There is no evidence to suggest that the Netherworld is in fact another plane of existence as one would assume, but rather ? in typical Star Wars style ? it could literally be a planet or world. Qui-Gon says in the preview that it is a conduit through which the entire force of the galaxy flows thus making this world a unique occurrence in the galaxy. The ?family? of Force users could in fact be the ?deities? of Star Wars who oversee the entire progression and the will of the force. The ?wizard? could in fact be the parallel of God, whilst the Son and Daughter are the parallels of both the Devil and Angles respectively. During the course of the arc I would assume both the Son and Daughter will battle for control of Anakin?s destiny, which will in turn determine his path (like the illustration of a devil and an angle on ones shoulders to convey ones conscience). This world is also where the spirits of all dead beings reside thus explaining Qui-Gon?s apparent existence whilst keeping true to Yoda?s line ?returned from the Netherworld of the Force?. After all, as per Qui-Gon?s dialogue, he can?t see ?real world? events, suggesting he hasn?t being able to obtain immortality... he can merely appear in ?Star Wars Heaven?. Given this worlds uniqueness I would image it could only be accessed by either the intervention of the ?Father, Son and Daughter? thus why Ahsoka, Anakin and Obi-Wan seem bewildered by this place and are seemingly unaware of its existence.

If this is indeed true I think it would be awesome for Luke to be drawn to this place sometime after Return of the Jedi to seek guidance from the Old Jedi Order. Imagine Luke sitting in that crystal cave with Mace, Kit, Plo, Aayla, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda, etc, etc all talking to him and giving him wisdom...

6. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Welcome to the boards, DarthPhilosopher! Wow, we've been getting quite a bit of new meat lately...:D

Luke: Obi-Wan...I need you to...wait, who the heck are these guys? Oh, hey, you're the guy from the holovid about the Baran Do, Plo...Plo...Plonkoon!
    Plo Koon: (sighs)

No, no, in all seriousness, I do really like the concept behind that idea. It speaks to me somehow as a more 'spiritual reunion'. Like, if the Jedi could ever find a place to conduct a real 'pilgrimage' to, perhaps Mortis would be it.

7. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    The idea has merit, although I don't think they will turn out to be actual deities.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Or worse: they're midichlorian...spirits.

9. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    Maybe its not even Jinn but an illusion by the dark son to make obi-wan do something.

10. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Amazing that no one brought this theory up before. That would be wonderfully twisted, and 100% contradiction-free. It would even explain why Obi-Wan ignites his saber at him, he feels there might be something fishy there.

Not that I believe that's what they are doing in the episode, no. It'll most likely be the actual spirit of Qui-Gon, with the weird nature of Mortis providing the excuse to use him.

11. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Actually, Darth_Zandalor was one of the first to wonder whether it would be an illusion, a temptation of the dark side to corrupt Obi-Wan. Just thought I'd give props there. [face_peace]

Who can say? Perhaps it'll be vague enough that you can go for any of the three paths: Dark side temptation, subconscious manifestation, or the actual spirit of Qui-Gon. [face_thinking]

12. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    That's what I fear might happen. It'll be vague enough that we can't call it out as certainly being a contradicting Force ghost, but at the same time it won't offer a reasonable explanation that works with the overall saga. And so we will be left with half the people here complaining that it was obviously a Force ghost and it has ruined Star Wars, and the other half coming up with crackpot theories that kinda work to make thing make sense.

13. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    That?s the only other feasible option in my opinion. But that would mean that it wouldn?t actually be Qui-Gon, but rather a manifestation of Obi-Wan?s mind or the force communing with Obi-Wan through the likeness of Qui-Gon. In my opinion that would cheapen the whole event of Qui-Gon making an appearance. In my opinion, given the way they talked to one another, it is indeed Qui-Gon?s spirit.

Regarding the ?Father, Son and Daughter?; perhaps they themselves are manifestations of the force taking the likeness of sentient beings. In other words they are the Force, only they have taken the form of a person.

14. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    What? Sorta like someone "created by the midi-chlorians"? [face_thinking]

15. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    (puts on tin foil hat) Waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of you, Gry. [face_laugh] 8-}

Naw, I do get where you're coming from and hope this is handled in a manner that can please most. Still, at the end of the day, there's only so much we can do. [face_peace]

EDIT: On 'taking the likeness of sentient beings'...what I take away from that is that in the event you killed them, only their mortal shell would be destroyed, and the Force remains intact. ]-}

16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Correct. It would also explain how they can seemingly morph into other beings such as ?dragons? etc, as seen in the trailer...

These would technically be midi-chlorians taking to form of a being...

17. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Nah, it has occurred to me, but I didn't bring it up for the following reason:

If the son would be 'projecting' this illusion, he would need to be able to probe Obi-Wan's intimate thoughts, or he'd have to be some kind of omniscient. How else could he bring up the question if Obi-Wan trained the boy, as he asked.

The 'Dagobah cave' thing sounds more watertight and plausible to me. But I think I've mentioned that. :p

18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    However all of the ?Dagobah? cave depictions we have seen seem to be vague visions... this one seems different in that they seem to actually be having a conversation. I do find it interesting however that Qui-Gon says, ?I am here because you are here.

However, yes, it could very well be a ?revelation? cave sequence.

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Not a bad idea.

We've already been told for sure that Anakin has to decide light or dark in this arc, and we have seen Dark Ahsoka (presumably from this arc), so why not have Obi-Wan tempted?

It would be fantastic if the "ghost" of Qui-Gon tempted him with ending the war early and not having to deal with the politicians! :p

It would also explain Obi_Wan's look of surprise in ROTS. ;)

20. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Gah, I realize this is a spoilers thread but, but, but... :_|

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I hope it won't be like that:oops: it would reduce the death (in SW) to be just visit on Mortis and would ruin the universe for me- "he didn't die- he left to Mortis"[face_skull]

at least it should be impossible to find then from the 'normal universe'- so not everyone could go there to meet dead people -that's just plain stupid that way[face_worried]

22. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    So in other words it will be just like most other additions to the EU.

I keed! :D

The comment from Dave is certainly comforting. But we'll have to see how it plays out. If nothing else the second half of S3 has a lot more going for it at this point, IMO.

23. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    wasn't something like this already done in one of the Star Trek movies?

either way - I don't think it's gonna turn out this way

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I was reading Big Shiny Robot's article about EW.com news of Liam Neeson, and he mentions something I forgot to comment on:

When I read the article I felt the same way. It is indeed sad to see such behaviour from the press, when the movie was not badly received from critics.

25. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Perhaps you're thinking of Spock's "death" in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and return in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock?

Of course, bringing Spock back from the dead was an objectively bad decision that ruined all of Star Trek. [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.