main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Liam Neeson to join TCW! (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by stevehamann, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    His name seems familiar. Didn't he voice the Zillo Beast on this show as well?....reasoning...so since he also played Oppo Rancisis on the microseries: he could play him!

2. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Apparently he was one of the voice sources for the Zillo beast. I think you're right on being Oppo, and yes, he was Qui-Gon in a brief scene. Did a fairly alright job in my books, and he's an accomplished voice actor in his own right. He has been the voice of The Hulk in various animated incarnations (though lately they've been getting another fella), and he has recently been in Starcraft 2 as Swann (gruff Brooklyn-accented engineer) and Zeratul (gravelly voiced alien hero compared by some as a 'good' Darth Vader).

Though sad to say, even with my favourite voice actors, they'd be hard pressed to achieve my sheer love for Liam's work. [face_laugh]

And this brings up a question in my mind: I know it's HIGHLY unlikely, but now that we have a Qui-Gon model...might we get flashbacks to when he was alive? Maybe by Obi-Wan, Dooku, or even Plo Koon? It needn't be Liam reprising his role either (though that would be AWESOMENESS), because I'm sure they could get Fred in for the shorter or less 'significant' scenes.

Flashbacks are a rarity, though, but hey, a guy can dream. :p

3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    That's what I'm thinking. A great one off story would be one where OW and Anakin are off on some adventure and OW keeps flashing back to him and Qui-Gon, the events of that story mirroring what's going on in the present. Or it showing him how his pupil is turning out differently than Qui-Gon's, etc. etc.
    An animated show is a perfect way to give us more backstory on characters like this.

4. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Unfortunate, but accurate. If Liam Neeson was not doing the voice, there would be angry mobs with torches and pitchforks.

5. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    What about the other voice actors that don't sound like the film characters? o_O Most of them don't even sound right.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's not what I meant. If it wasn't for Liam Neeson voicing Qui-Gon, most people would complaint about Qui-Gon being in the show.

7. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah... I'm so glad nobody has anything to complain about with this cameo! [face_whistling]

But in all seriousness, I doubt there would be much bitching if Liam Neeson was not voicing him. I mean, nobody would expect such a high-profile actor to appear in this show. Sure, people would say "it would have been great if Liam had voiced him", but as long as the replacement actor did a decent job, I think people would be happy just to see the character again (other than the whole contradiction thing). However, since Liam IS voicing him here, there will certainly be a lot of complaining if on a later episode the character shows up with a different voice. Kinda like how everybody complained about B.G. Hughes work with Jar Jar (aside from the fact that he did a terrible job).

8. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Yeah, if Qui-Gon but not Liam returns, well...I'll be glad if the replacement does a good job, but MAN I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. Liam was a guy we actually LIKED from the word 'go', while some of us only started to warm up to Ahmed Best once he was gone. XD

Y'know, if we set aside all the details of the Force Ghost discovery, and depending on how Qui-Gon is used, this could actually be VERY reminiscent of the original 'mythology' and mystery of Obi-Wan's death and return.

In its simplest outline, it goes like this:
    1. Mentor (in this case, Qui-Gon) dies, and we're MOSTLY sure he's dead at the time (TPM and ANH).
    2. Mentor's voice returns, and/or his ghostly form appears, and we're starting to question things (AOTC, and the end of ANH, as well as early in ESB).
    3. Mentor finally sits down and has a real conversation with his former apprentice that is probably not a fever/stress induced hallucination (ESB, ROTJ, and finally, THIS episode).

We have the benefit (or is it burden?) of hindsight in the shape of Revenge of the Sith, but just imagine. Setting that aside, or modifying it, this actually hearkens back to how I imagine some people perceived Obi-Wan in the Original Trilogy. :D

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's not what I meant. What I'm trying to say is that people would complaint about Qui-Gon being in the show, no matter who voiced him, if it wasn't for Liam to be in it the show too.

Maybe I'm not being clear. Sorry.

10. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Oh, certainly. The fact that Liam is voicing him doesn't affect the potential contradiction with Ep3, that would be a point of contention no matter the voice actor. If anything, having Liam here downplays a little bit the potential frustration with the contradiction.

That is a great point. If Lucas hadn't shoehorned that awkward conversation between Yoda and Obi-Wan in Ep3, this CW episode would be PERFECT, and everybody would be absolutely ectstatic to FINALLY be getting some explanation on the whole Force Ghost thing and the return of Qui-Gon!

Lucas just loves painting himself into corners, though...

11. LukeClone2

LukeClone2 Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Oh I know that and agree that he has the right to overwrite anything from the EU that he wants to, I just don't care for Katie Lucas taking someone else's idea and then twisting it so much it's hard to reconcile with previous authors/contributors additions to the Star Wars universe. I mean, I don't think she'd like it if someone took her ideas and decided they could twist and tweak them and make them "better" than what were her original ideas.

As for Lucas, it just seems odd that he would so blatantly allow something to contradict his own work like this. Yes, there are continuity issues between the two trilogies, but you'd think that having just done the prequels he wouldn't do something like this.

As for a Dagobah Cave idea, well, I suppose that would work. Still, it seems to me that the QGJ vision in that clip is more than just a dream conjured up by Obi Wan's own subconcious but a warning direct from QGJ in spirit form himself.

Guess we'll just have to see how this all works out and cross our fingers.

12. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    To all those whose reaction is 'this totally screws up RotS', might I mention that Qui-Gon already appears during the Clone Wars, in the Genndy series, showing Anakin the tree/cave on Dagobah. As it was Yoda's vision, he 'shouldn't' have seen Qui-Gon until Polis Masa (and certainly not in his Tatooine poncho!), a few days/weeks later. Did that screw up continuity? No, and nor will this.

Edit: AARGH, beaten to it! Must. Read. Whole. Thread. Before. Posting.

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010

yeah it will not work out perfectly though but some eu book or something will retcon it anyway- since Qui-Gon said that he wouldn't be there if Obi-Wan wouldn't be there- he was not actual spirit but part of Obi-Wan's memories that somehow communicated with that cave and created the vision- Obi-Wan may have mentioned that to Yoda and considered it just a hallucination caused by the Force and is surprised to hear that Qui-Gon really returned and can be seen even outside Mortis....

Could it be, that one of those 3 mystic characters Qui-Gon mentioned- father, son and daughter- Father obviously- is the shaman of the Whills? that would make me to accept this thing better since it's previously established he was the one who taught Qui-Gon, so this would have a longer history in canon and wouldn't feel just a thing that Lucas made up now- whills were there before the Force in the scripts of SW- so if they finally appear this could be the time..... whatever these beings are- they are probably based on concept of whills anyway

14. GallifreyanSith

GallifreyanSith Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 26, 2010
    Which is sad. As long as the character is written true to what we know of him and the voice actor did a good job of getting close to Liam's vioce and way of speaking, I'd still be stoked to have Qui-Gon back. Then again, I never forgave Lucas for killing him off in Phantom Menace.

15. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    His handling of Qui Gon and Darth Maul are honestly in my opinion two of the only truly redeeming things in the writing of the prequel trilogy, both of them needed to die for the sake of the story (though this is looking a bit doubtful for Maul now). Not that I hate the movies, but they're still a cinematic train wreck in the writing department.

16. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    As much as I LOVE Qui-Gon, I still can't shake off the fact that he should never have existed. His role in Ep1 should have been Obi-Wan's. It's just crazy that him and Anakin don't develop an ounce of relationship until Ep2.

17. GallifreyanSith

GallifreyanSith Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 26, 2010
    Not to make to much of an aside to the thread: I would have preferred to have Qui-Gon carry on and end up between the new Sith lord over introducing the a new character in Dooku. Sort of a foreshadowing of Anakin's fate.

18. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I agree it should've been strictly Obi-Wan/Anakin in Ep 1 (with Anakin being Luke's age) but still for what he was Qui Gon was a pretty good character.

19. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    GL should have kept Anakin at his original age which was 12, I believe, and yes Obi-Wan should of had Qui-Gon's role. Qui-Gon is a great character, but was kinda of unnecessary.

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    TPM without Liam Neeson would have been very poor- still he is one big retcon whole character- technically OT doesn't contradict with his existence- but lack of mention of him is just odd there- like Obi-Wan would leave him out purposely.... Same will be with Ahsoka i fear and ROTS- Lucas just keeps doing this......

he should definitely stop messing up with his own continuity- it was enough to put Obi-Wan to fight Grievous when ROTS gives impression that they never dueled before.... it seems that everything that is not clearly contradicting with the movies is possible in SW- Obi-Wan don't say "I didn't meet Qui-Gon's ghost on Mortis" so it is not clearly contradicting... no one says Maul wouldn't have returned either[face_worried] , Jango is not called Mandalorian so he may not be mando..... etc.

still SW is not the worst example of mindless retconning- i've seen worse:p

21. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    pointless post - sorry

22. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    wasted breath - sorry

23. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Couldn't disagree more...
    The best thing Lucas did with TPM (IMO) and something he gets no credit for is not rushing. It's part 1 of a 6 part series, plenty of room to reach back to when Obi-Wan is a student, Anakin is a child, etc.
    Plus the loss of Qui-Gon pairs up with the loss of Shmi to make Anakin the true orphan figure he is. He and Obi-Wan are too close in age to have a father-son relationship, the lack of antything like that (Mother or Father) being an obvious part of Anakin's fear of loss.
    His relationship with Obi-Wan straining seems natural as they're almost peers by the time of AOTC and then beyond.
    Plus Qui-Gon gives him that fatherly love that he finally connects with at the end of ROTJ.

I'll stop spamming but I really think the introduction of Qui-Gon works in so many ways.

It's a an entirely different criticism to say we didn't see enough of Anakin's relationship with Obi-Wan (I could agree with that).

24. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010

More than that, people are forgetting that Qui-Gon spoke to Anakin in Jedi Trial, so it's not like they're completely unaware of his abilities to touch their lives. Not the same as a force ghost, but it's hard to imagine he never told Obi-wan about it at all, which itself would change the meaning of the revelation in Ep III (and plus, Jedi trial probably happens before these episodes, if I recall).

Seriously, you guys are fretting over next to nothing here.

25. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Exactly. Qui-Gon is Young Kenobi as described by himself in the OT. But that's a whole different story lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.