main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Liam Neeson to join TCW! (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by stevehamann, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I don't exactly know why anyone feels the OT without Qui-Gon's being mentioned is a problem.

What exactly was needed to call for that conversation?
    1 - Luke asking specifically
    or
    2 - It having a direct bearing on something Obi-Wan or Yoda felt was relevant

And since neither of them was all that forthright with Luke - not mentioning Qui-Gon really is quite natural.

With hindsight can we all see where it would have fit in?
    Sure - but it wasn't a Zero-Sum game without it.

And yea - other tweaks would have made more sense -- like Anakin being older, or Obi-Wan actually training Anakin, or whatever - but that's not what we got.

Honestly, if Hayden was gonna get to be a ghost instead of Sebastian - then Qui-Gon totally deserved to be there -- considering he paved the way for all of the others to become Ghosts in the first place.
    So I think we all have to take seriously the chance that he does in fact get inserted in some future edition

We got Qui-Gon -- and we all seem to be glad for it!

Welcome Back Liam!
    Maybe we can cast the characters of TCW as the "Sweathogs" and give Qui-Gon an Afro?

2. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Wow, a Sweathogs reference... nice!

3. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Do you think Neeson would agree to make this appearance if it clearly contradicts Ep 3? Would he even know (I presume he would)?

4. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I would lay money down he has no idea. It's always funny when you realize how these guys don't commit this stuff to memory like we do. Kind of when like Lucas (at CV) couldn't remember which prequel he was in.
    From my limited observations, most actors make a movie and move on, you'd be shocked how little they remember about the plot, etc.

5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yeah, really. What's he say in that scene? Qui-Gon? That's all his reaction? If it was something of an impossibility to do such a thing I'm sure he would have said something along these lines. How is that possible?! When did you speak to him?! What did he say?!

He must have known there was a possibility that Yoda had spoken to him when he himself had at one time. And, thinking he was on a strange planet when he did meet his former master again, he probably didn't know how to do it any other way, otherwise he would have tried it. I'm sure the arc will show this to be true.

But the real question is this, how is it possible for someone like Luke, who wasn't even a full Jedi at the time, able to communicate with these spirits? Was it something that's connected to this Mortis world that allows these Force spirits to exist on, much like hades in Greek mythology, and allows these dead beings to remain and travel at will in the material plane, or is it something in the individual like Luke Skywalker, who is the son of the chosen one, that enables him to talk with them? This is their chance to elaborate on this theory of how and why they still exist after they die.

6. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I always feel like the only reason Lucas put that in there is to give some credibility to that line in TESB: "...the Jedi master who instructed me."

Exactly. When I heard the prequels were going to be made, I assumed the following:

- Ep.I would start out with Anakin, about 12 years old, already Obi-Wan's apprentice, start of the war
    - Ep.II would basically be about the Clone Wars
    - Ep. III would be somewhat like RotS

The problem is that Lucas more or less wasted an entire movie on establishing the characters. The very few really essential things that happen in TPM could have been included in the more important parts of the story. That way AotC and Rots wouldn't have been so crammed full of things that still needed to be worked out. The love story is rushed, the Anakin - Obi-Wan friendship is rushed (the little that we get to see of it) and the fall of Anakin is rushed.

(Also, the whole Jango fett business in AotC, while cool, essentially took up way too much time. And it was only included so we could learn what background character Boba Fett actually looked like and that his 'father' was the stormtrooper template.)

Lucas suddenly had this romantic idea of how Anakin became Obi-Wan's apprentice and more or less dedicated an entire movie to it. Unnecessary, if you ask me, but hey... what can we do. :p

7. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    Agreed on basically all fronts.

Except there is nothing we can do by thinking about it anymore... so frustrating!

I think that is why people like us are so invested in TCW - because we secretly [and openly] all so badly want it to make up for the shortcomings of the PT.

Inevitably - in some ways it will -- and in some ways it won't

8. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    I don;t think that is too difficult to explain...

Luke is obviously super high in Midi's, and a natural adept at the force - whether untrained or not.

And the spirits in questions clearly had gotten much better at the communication trick -- and had a vested interest in making sure they are able to speak directly to Luke.

Remember, Leia had ZERO training and didn't even think she had 1 little iota of the Force - and yet she heard Luke's call to her on Bespin and we never see her questioning it.

I am also sure there has got to be some references somewhere to Force Apparitions appearing to non=Force users -- just not sure what they are

9. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Thanks for liking that point, Gry! :)
    Well, even if Lucas has already painted himself in a corner, I'm still going to hold onto that. I've a feeling that it's there in spirit, if not in fact. [face_peace]

And actually, I really like DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR's idea on how this affects Obi-Wan's one statement in ROTS. It makes it seem like less of an out-of-the-blue announcement.

10. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I tend to be a lot more receptive of characters appearing if they are voiced by the real person. For example, I cannot stand Tom Kane's Yoda or Baker's version of the clones.

But Liam Neeson was by far the best actor in The Phantom Menace, and he adds a level of sophistication that I appreciate. I'm not deriding the rest of the show's elements, but his addition elevates things, rather than diminishing them IMO.

11. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    I'm surprised to see so many people (without even seeing the ep) jumping to the conclusion that this is going to contradict ROTS. It is clear from the films that Jedi visions aren't always accepted as 100% factual. Obi may simply decide that it wasn't QGJ he spoke to, that it was a "Force Vision" and nothing more. If Jedi Masters returning as "Force Ghosts" is something completely unknown to the Jedi at this time, and there is a more "rational" explanation available to Obi, it makes sense that he would accept the more rational explanation. Indeed, his picking up on Yoda's drift at the end of ROTS could be read as him remembering his "vision" and realizing that it was something more!

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I've already said it can go both ways.

What I'm afraid of is that Lucas has already shown that he will disregard established continuity when he feels like it. :p

13. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Why would someone who wants to see some explanation for Force Ghosts not like that scene Ep. III? I actually think it was a near-brilliant idea to have no dead Jedi in the prequels having Force Ghosts at all and at the very end explain how they came to have that ability in the original trilogy. I don't think hordes of Force Ghosts would have been nearly as "mystic," if you will. Of course more explanation of Force-related things is always welcome in my book, but then that scene would have been longer, not non-existent.

Yeah given that Darth Vader, the only Force-user in the Star Wars universe that I am aware of to have been conceived by midichlorians, lost a significant amount of his ability to tune into the Force after losing all his limbs, Luke is possibly the single-most Force-sensitive person in all of Star Wars in my estimation.

14. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    Just thinking about the whole question of whether this is really Qui-Gon --

He says:
    "Obi-Wan, have you done as I asked, have you trained the boy?"

Thus, I am concluding for myself - that it is NOT Qui-Gon.
    Since this is post-AOTC and we know Qui-Gon was already watching Anakin - he would not have to ask this question.

From what I saw in the previews with Ahsoka - this place has some strange effects on the minds of Force Users...
    Making uncharacteristic decisions, playing with their emotions, creating doubts in one's own mind, what have you

Plus - It sounds more like something someone would say to themselves who is being introspective.
    "Did I do the right thing? / Am I living up to my ideals? / Am I being true to my old Master? / Have I been good at what I set out to do?" etc

There certainly could still be a context for Qui asking this question: ie if the Jedi are not treating Anakin as they should treat the Chosen One a al Mace never quite going along with it and just sending him out across the gffa rather than giving him some TLC and Yoda taking it more seriously when Anakin comes to office hours with serious issues in his mind!
    Then Yes, it makes sense for Qui to ask Obi if he has trained the boy, possibly meaning "Have you trained the boy [to be the Chosen One]?"

Eh - now I confused myself again. :oops:

15. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    Also - any chance Obi might ask Qui something like:

"Whats up with your former Master Dooku???? Do you have any idea how he turned out? What did you guys DO back in the day? Now I know why you never introduced us!"

16. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I'm not sure if it's really Qui-Gon either.

For some reason when he asked if Obi-Wan had trained Anakin, I suppose that he had been watching down upon the two and had already known that.
    I mean, how did he know that Obi-Wan was Obi-Wan?

He looked dramatically different in TPM than he does in TCW.

Also I thought that it was implied that Qui-Gon could not form in to a force spirit.

However, he said that the planet that they were on was an amplifier and magnet of the force. So maybe Qui-Gon can only appear in that cave to Ob-Wan and not anywhere else?

Now I'm confused too.:oops:

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't think this contradicts ROTS too badly after all- it contradicts our former view of ROTS and meanings of the scenes we thought we understood- Obi-Wan is surprised but he didn't say why- he can be surprised to hear that Qui-Gon he saw on Mortis- may have been real- he could've considered it fake vision or something afterwards- He may have had conversation with Yoda who could've said that there is no way to communicate with those who already left to the netherworld- or something....... there is obvious retcon coming that changes the meanings of some lines in ROTS but logic is not impossible with movie and i think they are really planning to make it logic.....

and about this whole Qui-Gon-mess it's retcon obviously - but Yoda also was the jedi master who instructed Obi-Wan- just like he instructed Ahsoka for example- he instructed them as younglings pretty much like Luke is instructed-

The stuff that Luke learns from Yoda (youngling's stuff) -Obi learned from Yoda too- not from Qui-Gon who was his mentor as padawan- with him he did fieldmissions and stuff - learning the deeper understanding of the Force etc.- Luke was also trained by two jedi masters Ben and Yoda- if he says later that "Obi-Wan Kenobi- the jedi master who instructed me" is he contradicting with existence of Yoda?- no he is not IMO....

18. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Yeah I mean none of us have seen the episode so it wouldn't make any more sense logically to say it won't or it will conflict with Ep. III, but those already predicting it can't or won't be executed well are way too pessimistic for me. There are multiple ways it could be executed that don't conflict with Ep. III at all.

19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Message from Dave on Facebook

Hello friends
    A long standing secret has been revealed! By now you have all heard that Liam Neeson has been kind enough to return to the world of Star Wars and reprise his role as Qui-Gon Jinn. I am very greatful that he took time out from his incredibly busy schedule to appear on The Clone Wars, and very thankful for everyone at Lucasfilm that helped make his appearance happen. I understand that Qui-Gon?s appearance in The Clone Wars has many implications, and that some of you are asking ?how can this be ? especially in light of the scene between Obi Wan and Yoda at the end of Revenge of the Sith where they speak about Qui-Gon. These upcoming episodes, more than any other to date, will spark curiosity and discussion. I only ask that you be patient and watch them. I look forward to hearing from you after they air. For now trust me when I say Christian Taylor (writer) and I, along with George Lucas, are very aware of the continuity surrounding Qui-Gon Jinn. George in particular, is especially conscious of it.
    Let?s not forget that tonight marks the conclusion of the Nightsisters trilogy. Please tune in and enjoy what I think is an exciting finish to this arc. As I?ve said, the excitement will not stop there, and there are many surprises left for you this season. Qui-Gon Jinn is just the beginning.

The Force will be with you? always

Dave

20. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Sounds very reassuring - Dave should be politician- he can say just those things we want to hear:p .... still i'm not great fan of these transforming people and this whole origins of the Force -stuff but since they want to tell this now -okay - i'm waiting[face_peace]

22. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I call it now: Daultay Dofine is the next one!

23. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    Good enough for me, Dave! ;) Can't wait!

Thanks for passing this on to us, DarthCaedus1138!

24. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    great find -- hopefully this will allow others [and well, actually - ME] to take all of this in stride and let it all pan out.
    either way - you have to take his statement with a similar grain of salt as to what the epsiode will be --

we all just have to wait and see

25. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Anytime. If I see anything else, I'll let you guys know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.