main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Liam Neeson to join TCW! (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by stevehamann, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    [face_laugh]

You know, I think Dofine might be the most ridiculous loser of all the Star Wars movie characters. There was just something so utterly... sad about him.

2. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Here's a thought:

Maybe that bit about Qui-Gon in RotS just means that Qui-Gon was able to become immortal, but for all we know, the 'technique' to manifest oneself as a visible apparition may have been discovered or studied by Obi-Wan for the first time.

Because Yoda says 'teach you how to commune with him, I will', it sounds like Yoda only knows how to 'talk to him'. After all, if Qui-Gon would be able to appear as a ghost, what would there have to be taught about seeing him?

Which is another reason why I think we're seeing what's in Obi-Wan's head rather than an actual Force ghost. Maybe this is just foreshadowing of what Obi-Wan will discover. Perhaps this is even where Obi-Wan learned about the technique, or somehow got inspired to research it.

Personally, I think it would be awesome if Obi-Wan was the one to perfect the process. It will make that line in ANH about 'more powerful than you can possibly imagine' even stronger.

Thoughts?

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Obi-Wan would not have been in "awe" or say Qui-Gon like he hasn't seen him for years. If Obi-Wan seen Qui-Gon as a Force ghost or in some form a year prior, he would happy to see him once again, yet not overjoyed. Now, Yoda saying Qui-Gon returned from the netherworld of the Force is like Grievous saying he's been trained by Dooku, or Anakin saying "My powers doubled since the last time we met." TCW has a way to mess with these scenes and dialogue.

That scene with Yoda and Obi-Wan is one of the best in ROTS.

4. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Which is exactly the reason why I think we're not seeing the actual spirit. Rather a projection of Qui-Gon in Obi-Wan's head, just like Vader in the Dagobah cave.

Did you read what I posted above? (I'm not sure haha)

Also, note how very suspicious Obi-Wan sounds. The way he pronounces his name and asks how he can be here is just dripping with suspicion.

5. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Yeah, I read it. :p I just am worried about that Obi-Wan and Yoda scene in ROTS, much like others in the film.

But I agree with you in saying Obi-Wan might have an image of Qui-Gon in his head. However, Obi-Wan still seen Qui-Gon before ROTS and the Last of the Jedi series. He might think Qui-Gon did return or something in that TCW episode. It might work because then Yoda will confirm it in ROTS. I'm not sure.

I wonder when that scene of Qui-Gon will take place in the Overlords episode. I didn't watch the clip yet, and I don't intend to, but did the clip show any clues if it's a vision of Obi-Wan's, ect?

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm agreeing (crossing my fingers) that this is a vision or something similar.

We know Anakin is already a knight (established), Obi-Wan therefore has trained him to knight (duh!).
    Both are on Mortis, right?

So Qui-Gon might need to open his eyes to see the braidless Anakin...or explain that he's been in some state that kept him from seeing what's been going on since his death.

Handled right, the latter might work since I've read (EU?) that Qui-Gon took some time to gather the strength to appear to the living so he may have been in limbo all those years.

But strangely, neither Qui-Gon not Obi-Wan seem all that thrilled to be speaking to each other.

"Obi-Wan, have you done what I asked, train Anakin?"

"Well, hello there, too, Master - not even a 'hi, long time no see?' Anyway, didn't you see him? Knighted and all."

"Hey, that's great. Okay, then, how are you Padawan?"

"Oh, hunky dory other than fighting a war, Master."

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Anakin's line doesn't say when they last met- they already meet in old the Clone Wars game taking place after AOTCo_O -

so that is not similar retcon it makes sense now- as well as before... GG:s line makes as much sense as Luke's comment about At-At:s, blasters and towcables in ESB- since EU portrays them using same technique before Hoth- it is more for audience than in-universe character.... also GG was portrayed in old CW having training just before ROTS so maybe he was referring that- he was trained by Count Dooku after their last duel:p Interesting thing is that Rots portrayed Obi-Wan and Grievous like they would knew each other- so that makes sense now- they didn't meet in old CW.....

sorry bit off-topic

but that is probably image in Obi's mind since Qui-Gon should know better what have happened- he has that one line in AOTC even-
    Qui-Gon being dead i don't think we need any more info about his techniques - takes away the mysticism

8. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    And many, many, many other times during the Clone Wars. That line is complete nonsense. :p Lucas doesn't know/care, so that's obviously why the line is there. Connecting it to AOTC is basically how he wants it to be interpreted most likely.

I'm very sick of Obi-Wan and Grievous constantly going after each other. [face_tired]

Yeah, I see it working the best.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    once on Tatooine and then that Florrum-thing- that's ito_O They didn't even met in Witches- Dooku escaped before they came.....

There should be one more Ani/Dooku duel in this series- Dooku could actually slice his new mechnohand too- humiliating him- "you've learned nothing boy- same old mistakes"

Asajj's original comment in TCW-movie was funny "I've learned much since we last met" And that was....a few days ago on Christophsis[face_laugh] obviously they were not thinking of Hidden Enemy at the time.....

agreed GG needs to meet someone else in this- Windu, Plo, Ki-Adi or someone who can actually die

10. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Not evidently. Obi-Wan seems on edge for some reason, he ignites his saber when he hears the voice and reacts very suspiciously, as if he's very distrusting of his perceptions.

It's giving off a Dagobah cave vibe, difference being that he's actually talking to Qui-Gon.

Which also gives food for thought, because Qui-Gon asks him if Obi-Wan has done as he asked, if he has trained the boy.

The *real* Qui-Gon (Force ghost) would know that he did. ;)

11. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    That is a great point I've heard people bring up multiple times, and further reason why people should wait and see what they do and how they do it before making their evaluation, especially if it's going to be overwhelmingly negative.

12. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I don't understand why everyone is assuming that the ghost of Qui-Gon would be some omniscient being who would know exactly what's been happening with Anakin and Obi-Wan all those years. He's dead, gone to the netherworld of the Force, if he's really there on Mortis, it's only because that place is a Force nexus or something. He may have felt the occasional disturbance in the Force, like when Anakin killed all the Tuskens, but other than that I think he'd be completely out of the loop.

13. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, there you go. If Qui-Gon could sense what was going on with Anakin in AotC, it should be safe to assume he realized the boy had been trained, no?

Besides, we're not seeing Obi-Wan in Luke's cockpit when he's in the Death Star trench, but Obi-Wan is very much aware of what Luke's doing.

Seems like old Obi skipped the 'Netherworlds' bus stop. [face_laugh]

14. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    That would be my assumption as well.

What about those respective facts did I claim was in conflict? I don't dispute any of that. Whether or not those things inherently imply one must be trained in order to see a Force ghost is another matter. I don't remember that from the films. It's not an absurd argument to construct or anything, but it is not as clearly substantiated by the facts as those bullet points are, and there is room for the writers to work with it.

15. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    [face_plain]

I don't know about you, but I would be overjoyed and not merely happy to meet a dead person I haven't seen in a year.

16. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    By your logic Obi-Wan should have known Alderaan had been blown away. Qui-Gon's spirit probably didn't feel any more than Yoda did "Skywalker is in pain, terrible pain", he wouldn't have gotten an update of his carrer status.

Ah, but Obi-Wan had already learned the trick to "return from the netherworld of the Force", and Qui-Gon is yet to do that. [face_praying]

Well, that depends on who's the dead person, and the manner of his appearance. [face_skull]

17. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Hmmmm those are not bad points....

18. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Doesn't make sense for him to be pointing a lightsaber at the person at one point, then being in awe in a later time period. :p

19. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Alas -- Qui-Gon yelled "Anakin, Anakin, Noooooooo!"

To me that implies somehow that Qui-Gon sensed Anakin's usage of the Dark Side.

To interpret that Qui would then know Anakin had been trained in the use of either is another thing.

However, when Qbi-Wan "speaks" to Luke in the Trench - he seems to be speaking directly to Luke's current actions and in the context that is appropriate - thus implying that Obi is AWARE of the moment. But not necessarily any more than that.

Not sure what I am even trying to say...

One observation I will make -- is that TCW special effects team clearly has the ability to make Qui's "appearance in the episode visually match exactly what we know Force Ghosts to look like in the OT -- and yet they do NOT.

Could that be a clue?

20. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm not sure.

(1. Obi-Wan was still alive when Alderaan blew up.)

But more importantly:

2. We hear Qui-Gon yelling "ANAKIN! NOOOO!" when the Tusken thing happens. Which means that if he wasn't witnessing things first hand, at the very least he could sense Anakin giving in to the dark side of the Force. The fact that he yells no means that he knows better than Anakin just being in pain.

21. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Sure, I always thought that Qui-Gon felt Anakin was dipping his toe in the Dark Side pool at that moment. Still doesn't mean he would be watching over him like a guardian angel, aware of all his doings.

22. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm not saying he is.

I'm saying that, considering these facts, it's not a long shot to assume he would know that Anakin received his training.

Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if he had been watching him all along either. Doesn't Yoda admit to doing the same thing to Luke?

"This one, long have I watched..."

23. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Right I wouldn't think that either, but if he can feel him giving in to the Dark Side then that right there implies that he knows he's received some Force training.

24. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    I still think that Qui-Gon hasn't even achieved 'apparition status'. Why would Yoda need to teach Obi-Wan how to commune with him if QG was visible?

It's not his Force ghost, I tell you. Some kind of foreshadowing, or a seed being planted for Obi-Wan actually discovering how to do it.

Of course I could be wrong, in which case I will be very curious to see how they explain that one.

25. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    There are a lot of questions surrounding that first point. How does that line of dialogue relate to Luke seeing Obi-Wan's Force ghost in Episodes V and VI? I have no clue.

I'm inclined to agree with you on the second point, though I disagree with those who say it's impossible for it to be a Force ghost and make any sense with everything else. There are tons of variables.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.