main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*** Licensed Stormtrooper Armour ***

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Woofer, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Steve Sansweet partook in a Hyperspace webchat today and was asked about the licensed armor. He acknowledged that he's aware of the rumors and mentions that they consider many product ideas, but also says there is nothing solid to report on or to confirm yet regarding armor.

2. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Persoally... it's probably not Costume armour... Odds are high that it's just for Display... simply because there are so many different sizes of people... Those "boxed" helmets that were so pretty look good... but don't fit my fat head... so for me it's just a display piece... but heads don't vary as much as the body!...

3. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hmm, anyone remembered how much did the one DonPost made cost? Were the armor parts removable?

My guess is, the pricetag won't be far from that one.

4. HANSOLONG

HANSOLONG Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2003
    I've bought 4 sets of the ABS kits recently. They are alot of fun to assemble and they look really good. At this cost, I'm not afraid to mess them up. Master REplicas will put out something that is near double the cost and will you be willing to modify it to fit? Will you be afraid to scratch it? I have a Dooku saber from MR.....not the best quality. The others were very nice. I dunno. I like the 501st armor. I'll support the 501st.

5. studiocreations

studiocreations Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2000
    ObiDawnKenobi wrote:
    Steve Sansweet partook in a Hyperspace webchat today and was asked about the licensed armor. He acknowledged that he's aware of the rumors and mentions that they consider many product ideas, but also says there is nothing solid to report on or to confirm yet regarding armor.

Also, the TFN article that originated this rumor never says that Master Replicas was going to make the armor, they just stated that MR has let the armor product fall to the wayside. It could be a third party company that's approaching Lucas at this time.

I've helped out 2 Start-up companies try to negotiate licensing deals with Lucas Film, it's not an easy task. 6 months into negotiations, things can go sour overnight.

Like Skaught said, "I'll believe it when i see it."

-SC

6. Full_Body_Asajj

Full_Body_Asajj Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 2003
    I had the pleasure of sitting down with two of Master Replica's creaters at the last Chiller Con. They were asking a bunch of questions to my garrison's XO and CO. We all had the chance to chime in on things and some requests were made. They were VERY tight lipped, but it is great to see the Trooper aromor go into production.

7. BingoBongo275

BingoBongo275 Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2003
    Blimey - its easy to see how rumours get around!

Can we draw a line under this one as

THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!

MR are NOT doing it. Rubies has the official license but would be crazy to attempt it.

Apart from that the economics just dont work. You would need to charge at least $1500 to make any kind of profit as the effective market is so small

Jez
    www.StarWarsHelmets.com

8. Skaught

Skaught Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    For the record, there is no such thing as "501st armor". The 501st does not produce or sell any armor or costume of any type.

Scott

9. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    plus there is a huge liability issue if this should ever go into production. if someone gets hurt while wearing armor or as a result of someone else wearing armor the lawsuit could, would and should be catastrophic for both MR and LFL. that is the sort of thing that no PR person could ever smooth over.

if you've ever wondered why MR's FX series of sabers doesnt have removable blades, this is exactly why. there is far less danger with a fixed blade than a removable one. i've seen parks saber blades that have been unsecured go flying before and since MR is much more mass market, especially with the FX line, they run a higher risk of having something happen.

if we do see armor, i highly doubt it will be to the level of quality we've seen in the current incarnation of TK armor.

10. tobywanben

tobywanben Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2003
    While we are on the subject--where is the best place to get armor now? I would like good quality but I am not made of money either. I am looking for a set to display on a mannequin 99% of the time.

11. Skaught

Skaught Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    Just stay away from Casters on ebay.

Scott

12. El_Kevo

El_Kevo Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2004
    Dang, 700 bucks is a good price compared to what i was going to pay for this other one. The other one was 1500 dollars. the website is ***** well the things that i wanted to get costed around there in total. But i changed my mind and decided to buy some MJOLNIR mark V battle armor. Its the Master Chief armor. If any of you play halo as much as you watch starwars you'll love it.

edit: Do not post links to unlicensed dealers.

13. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    *AHEM* Please DO NOT post links to sellers of unlicensed props and costumes.

From Costumes & Props FAQ

3. What should I know about posting links to prop websites?

Make sure that they do not sell or contain links to places that sell unlicensed prop replicas. Most of these people are doing this in there spare time as a labor of love and we want their work to be available to future costumers and us. Do not post or pass along this info unless you have the blessing of the person who is making it. By following this simple rule you can ensure that costumers can enjoy great replicas in the future.

6. I found an eBay auction for a prop? Should I post it here?

Do not post eBay auctions unless:
    - You have the permission of the seller
    - You are a bidder on that auction. It is unfair to screw someone out of a deal if you aren't even bidding on it.
    - You suspect that the auction is scam or is ridiculous (e.g. real working lightsabres, Tatooine sand, etc.)

14. oldken

oldken Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    i want armor that is exactly like the movie.

i dont want this oversized helmet crap.

ive seen many of the ones out there and have met many of the 501st guys at cons most of the helmets look too big, but they do look good.

i just want as close to the movies as possible,

i know there are many many variations in the movies, but you know what i mean,

i want it to look like the one luke wears, im his size

"a little short for a stormtrooper"

so if i had an oversized helmet id look retarded

plus i want it for mostly display,

i personnally hope they make it.

and i dont think itll kill the prop making community like alot of you are fearing

15. BASSOFeeSH

BASSOFeeSH Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2000
    For display that's great, but I've seen few people complain about it size once they start modding.

16. BingoBongo275

Oct 8, 2003
    Oldken,

If you want screen accurate armor then I agree with you that you should avoid FX which is certainly not movie accurate.

I dont know what your budget is but occasionall GF armor comes up on ebay for $1000-$1200 and though its not 100% its a lot more accurate than FX.

If you check my site out www.StarWarsHelmets.com there are loats of photos of ALL the different helmets and armor that have been made. They're under "Armor" (unsurprisingly)

Jez

17. StormLeader

StormLeader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2002
    Just an aside.....if one plans to wear the armor as a member of the 501st and troop at various events its a good idea to have the extra room in the larger helmet for fans, voice amp, mic plus batteries and such. The smaller more "accurate" helmets would have much less room for those items and the air space would be more limited for good air circulation. As far as a display piece, I agree that an accurate sized helmet is preferable but I'll stick with my noticably "cooler" (temp-wise) larger helmet regardless of what comes or doesn't come out from MR and LFL for trooping with the 501st.

Jim Marshall
    501st Stormtrooper TK-6411
    Star Garrison
    South Texas Squad
    San Antonio, Tx

18. studiocreations

studiocreations Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2000
    Yep, It all comes down to personal preference when talking stormtrooper armor. I am not a purist myself, if it looks like stormtrooper armor and all the parts are there, I like it as it is. But I understand the purists point of view, it's nice to have the most accurate thing out there. Lot's a "peace of mind" when you own something accurate.

Anyone have any more info about this phantom Licensed Armor thing?

19. oldken

oldken Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    bump ;)

i take it there is no new word on the truth behind the master replicas trooper rumor?

i did get an email that the trooper blaster would be available this summer, but no mention of any kind of costume or suit... hmm.

i wonder wich blaster itll be?

i know itll be a E-11 blaster, but there are like 20 variations, in scope, ammo box etc.

well which ever itll probably be cheaper than buying an L2A3 british sterling and modding it!

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Alas, I've not heard anymore on the armour rumor...

21. BingoBongo275

Oct 8, 2003
    This trooper armor is NOT going to happen, I had it confirmed to me by a source at MR

We should draw a line under this one.

Jez

22. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    One wonders if the Plans for the blaster got confused for the whole costume in the hear-say department.

Seriously. Think about it. Rubies has the License to make costumes. A trooper costume you would think would fall under thier License and not under the "prop" license that MR has.

Just thinking. Much adu about nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.