main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Life Beyond the Code (AU Post TPM: OWK/AS) Update 5/9/11 - Ch. 45

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Jul 20, 2005.

1. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    EGKenobi Excellent update Bek, Well worth waiting for. Thanks! :)

Laine_Snowtrekker Nice update. Keep on writing! Thank you! :)

Thanks for the PM. You?re welcome!

Gkilkenny Hopefully Anakin is starting to realize what makes Obi-Wan tick. Hopefully. I think he?s getting to know a side of his brother that he hand?t been privy to before. [face_thinking]

Great update thanks for the PM. Thanks, and you?re welcome! :)

Tatooine_Ghost loved it. can not wait for the next post. Thank you! :) The next post will be up soon. ;)

Lincoln_6_Echo Yay! It was so great to see this story updated! Wonderful posts! I look forward to see what will happen next!!! I?m glad you?re enjoying it! Thanks for reading! :)

2. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    I think it is really good that Obi-Wan and Anakin have Qui-Gon there as a buffer right now. I agree, they need to get him away from Palpy. Still, I wonder if Anakin is in over his head.

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Lovely update. I loved that Anakin was trying to help Obi-Wan but that he was doing it the wrong way! About time for Qui-Gon to step in and help everyone get their heads on straight.

Great job. Looking forward to more.

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Hmmm, only read the last two chapters so far, but of course I'm hooked (of course, anything you write is darn good)...so even though I have a number of posts to read through - please add me to the PM list.

Edited to add: I read the whole darn thing in one sitting. Yup, all day and well worth it.

It seems no one else picked up on, or mentioned, that reference to Siri's death.

Now Obi-Wan's fighting the darker emotions again - things must come to a head relatively soon.

I love the nuanced one you write...

5. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Magier I think it is really good that Obi-Wan and Anakin have Qui-Gon there as a buffer right now. I agree, they need to get him away from Palpy. Still, I wonder if Anakin is in over his head. Anakin is going to find out that Palpatine's influence may be more ingrained in his psyche than he wants to believe. [face_worried] The boys definitely need someone wiser around them at this time. Though I think Qui-Gon may soon have his hands a bit too full.

dianethx Lovely update. I loved that Anakin was trying to help Obi-Wan but that he was doing it the wrong way! About time for Qui-Gon to step in and help everyone get their heads on straight. He may need to hit their heads together a few times before he gets his point across. ;)

Great job. Looking forward to more. Thank you! :)

Valairy_Scot Hmmm, only read the last two chapters so far, but of course I'm hooked (of course, anything you write is darn good)... Thank you! [face_blush]

so even though I have a number of posts to read through - please add me to the PM list. Will do! :)

Edited to add: I read the whole darn thing in one sitting. Yup, all day and well worth it.

It seems no one else picked up on, or mentioned, that reference to Siri's death.

Now Obi-Wan's fighting the darker emotions again - things must come to a head relatively soon.
    Obi-Wan is definitely teetering on the edge, though he would deny it. :(

Chapter 35

The trip to the docking bay was quiet. The three Jedi were each deep in thought of the upcoming mission as well as the last twenty-four hours. Obi-Wan abruptly stopped walking and lowered his head in thought. Closing his eyes briefly in realization, a huttenese curse quietly slipped from his lips.

Qui-Gon turned at hearing the slip of tongue and without missing a beat fell back into his role of mentor. "Padawan, what have I told you about that kind of language?"

Feeling somewhat cheeky, Obi-Wan responded, "Nothing actually. You've never reprimanded me for speaking a native language of Tatooine."

"A minor detail."

Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow, a smirk on his lips.

Lowering his arms back to his sides, the large Jedi stepped forward until he was toe to toe with the younger man. "Any type of curse in any language is forbidden, do you understand?"

Sobering his expression as best as he could, Obi-Wan bowed with respect and replied, "I apologize, Master. I just remembered something."

Anakin observed the two beside him but refrained from speaking. He silently listened to the banter between his mentor and grandmaster, not quite being able to silence the chuckle within at his mentor's expense.

"And what would that be?" Qui-Gon asked, his arms folding once again cross his chest.

"Senator Amidala is also known as Padme Amidala Naberrie."

Qui-Gon tilted his head to one side, an indication to Obi-Wan that he should continue.

"I failed to make the connection when we were given this assignment."

Unfolding his arms, Qui-Gon asked, "And this is a problem because?"

Obi-Wan's hand unconsciously scratched the back of his head before falling back to his side. "Nothing except that I'm about to receive the biggest lecture of my life." He started walking again and the other two fell in step beside him.

Anakin's lips twitched, a grin spreading across them. He turned his head to hide it but Obi-Wan saw him before he could do so. "Go ahead, Anakin, laugh it up."

The padawan kept pace while answering, "It was your promise, not mine."

"What are you two talking about?" Qui-Gon asked.

"Padme made him promise that we would visit more often than every four years," Anakin replied.

"Why that particular number?" Qui-Gon inquired.

Obi-Wan picked up where Anakin had left off. "When we left Naboo the first time, before we settled on Tatooine, she had made us promise to return. However, time has a way of slipping away. Days turned into wee

6. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Very nice...so who's Jamyan or more important, who's the mother? One guess.

Obi-Wan abruptly stopped walking and lowered his head in thought. Closing his eyes briefly in realization, a huttenese curse quietly slipped from his lips.

Qui-Gon turned at hearing the slip of tongue and without missing a beat fell back into his role of mentor. "Padawan, what have I told you about that kind of language?"

Feeling somewhat cheeky, Obi-Wan responded, "Nothing actually. You've never reprimanded me for speaking a native language of Tatooine."

"A minor detail."

Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow, a smirk on his lips.

Lowering his arms back to his sides, the large Jedi stepped forward until he was toe to toe with the younger man, "Any type of curse in any language is forbidden, do you understand?"

Sobering his expression as best as he could, Obi-Wan bowed with respect and replied, "I apologize, Master. I just remembered something."
    [face_laugh]

There was so much nice stuff in ths chapter, that I could almost quote it back at you. But I won't.

But it was all well done.

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Anakin should learn that a burden shared is a burden halved.

The main cause for his sleepless nights came in the form of nightmares that began plaguing him two months prior. He hadn't said anything to Obi-Wan because he didn?t want to worry him, but he was beginning to wonder if they would somehow disappear if he shared his burden.

I liked the setup. I'm glad that Obi-Wan hasn't completely forgotten about Siri or Khloe for that matter. And did I miss something? Jamyan?

Looking forward to more.

8. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Nice chapter. Thanks for the PM. Keep writing.

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Jedi need to release their burdens, so come-on Anakin tell Obi-Wan what troubles you.

And who is Jamyan?:confused:

Lovely post waiting for more.:D

10. WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT

WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT Jedi Master star 3

Feb 4, 2006
    [face_blush] So is Obi-Wan playing matchmaker now? I hope so.

11. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Well, I've finally caught up.

Love the concept: Life beyond the Code.

Superbly strong initial chapters with Obi and Ani on their own while Qui-Gon was "on ice".

You've also done very well showing some of the pitfalls of thinking and acting outside the box, including love triangles and role confusion. Yet, everyone has soldiered on, just like real life.

I felt very sad about Siri's death. I know it's canon-ish, but I was sorry that she didn't have the chance to work things out with Obi-Wan, one way or another. I guess they'll have to save that for next life...

Very interesting twist that the A/P romance is taking back seat to Ani's mission to expose Palpatine. I like that. Will watch this career with great interest.

-ratna

12. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot Very nice...so who's Jamiyan or more important, who's the mother? One guess. Explanation coming right up! ;)

But it was all well done. Thank you! :)

dianethx Anakin should learn that a burden shared is a burden halved. He's about to unload. :)

I'm glad that Obi-Wan hasn't completely forgotten about Siri or Khloe for that matter. And did I miss something? Jamiyan? No, you didn't miss anything. As of Chapter 34, four years have passed. A lot has happened. Anything new that is mentioned will be explained.

Laine_Snowtrekker Nice chapter. Thanks for the PM. Keep writing. Thanks! :)

Gkilkenny Jedi need to release their burdens, so come-on Anakin tell Obi-Wan what troubles you. He's about to. He just needed someone to prod him along. ;)

And who is Jamiyan? Explanation below. :)

WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT So is Obi-Wan playing matchmaker now? Sort of...he was mainly trying to take the focus off himself. :p

ratna Well, I've finally caught up.

Love the concept: Life beyond the Code.

Superbly strong initial chapters with Obi and Ani on their own while Qui-Gon was "on ice".

You've also done very well showing some of the pitfalls of thinking and acting outside the box, including love triangles and role confusion. Yet, everyone has soldiered on, just like real life.
    Thanks! I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far. I hope it continues to hold your interest. :)

I felt very sad about Siri's death. I know it's canon-ish, but I was sorry that she didn't have the chance to work things out with Obi-Wan, one way or another. I guess they'll have to save that for next life... Actually, they did work things out and did have some time together. :confused:

Very interesting twist that the A/P romance is taking back seat to Ani's mission to expose Palpatine. I like that. Will watch this career with great interest. Anakin isn't as pushy in this AU when it comes to a possible relationship with Padme. He puts duty to his family first and foremost. Everything else, including the Jedi and Padme, must wait their turn. :)

Author's Note: This chapter didn't turn out exactly as I had hoped, but it did provide the transition the story needed, so I guess that's good. :) I hope you all enjoy it.

Chapter 36

He lay staring at the ceiling, having lost count of the nights he'd spent in this exact position. Sleep came and went, but mostly just went. It had become an apparition, something he just couldn't seem to capture when he needed it most. He had finished their last report and sent it to the Council for review. A few days from now they would receive a call asking for a verbal representation of what had occurred on their last assignment, not having been able to give it before accepting their current mission. He had become more confident in his abilities, his skills in these last years, having put them into practice in viable situations that were not possible while isolated on Tatooine. He was also beginning to notice that his training was once again coming to the foreground. He often caught himself saying something or doing things that he had not said or done in many years. He found himself thinking things that he had pushed away long ago. The Jedi side was reemerging, but so was a side that he had thought buried and long overcome.

He rubbed a hand over tired features to clear his thoughts and sat up. He stared at the floor beneath his feet. Everything seemed to have flawlessly come together since their missions began four and a half years ago. He and Anakin had reported to the Temple before heading out on their first assignment. He and Siri had crossed paths four months later. After much discussion and much time spent in one another's company, they, or rather she, had come to the conclusion that a relationship was possible after all. There had been so much joy in the eighteen months they had

13. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
    loved it. can not wait for the next chapter.

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Obi-Wan smiled as much as he could through his tears; he knew, but his heart was in denial. "You'll be all right!"

She shook her head as much as she could without feeling pain, "No, love. Not this time."

Obi-Wan shook his head again. "No." It was rare for Siri to use such a term of endearment. Everything inside him fought the truth of what he saw in her eyes, but the fact that she had used such an expression tore through his veil of denial.

Anakin stood behind his master, his throat working against the knot that had lodged in it while Garen sat next to them. He hadn?t been accepting of their union, at first. His loyalty had been invested in the friendship he had built with Khloe, but over the years Siri?s winning personality had won him over. She had been a confidant, an older sister of sorts. He watched as his brother struggled with the knowledge of what was happening. When he stepped closer and knelt down near Obi-Wan?s shoulder, a pair of blue eyes caught his attention. Siri smiled at him, her gaze telling him everything he needed to know. He nodded in acquiesce. ?I will,? he quietly told her.

"Promise me," she began, redirecting her gaze to that of her husband, "Promise that Jamyan will grow up on Tatooine." Obi-Wan looked at her in confusion. "I want her to grow up without the boundaries of the code. I want her to have the choice to make her life what she wants it to be."

He nodded his understanding, indicating that he would respect her wish. "I promise."
    :_|

I rather suspected it was Siri and Obi-Wan's child! [face_love] Why do I suspect the child will find a second mother shortly?

You ripped my heart out with Siri's death scene - beautifully done.

15. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Brilliant post :cool:

Having arrived at the hospital some hours before, Qui-Gon, Anakin, and Garen each grieved in their own way when they heard the wail of a young man who had just lost his wife.

Oh so sad:_| but at least he has a little daughter.

"Who are the dreams about?"

Looking up, Anakin softly uttered the word, "Mom."

A soft gasp escaped Obi-Wan before his could stop it, "What do you mean?" he demanded.

Noticing that his brother's demeanor had slightly darkened, Anakin's brow creased and he nervously answered, "I don't understand the how or the why, but I know it's her. She cries out for help, but I'm always too late. When I reach her, she's gone."

"And where am I?" The question was spoken softly.

"I don't know."

Thank the force Anakin is telling Obi about
    his dream[face_dancing]

Without another word Obi-Wan stood and walked from the room, Anakin close on his heels. "Where are we going?"

"To turn the ship around." He looked backed over his shoulder before entering the cockpit, "We're going home."

Way to go ![face_dancing] I hope they find her before anything bad happens we cannot have two loved ones dying.[face_worried]

16. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I'm so glad that Obi is willing to go back to Tatooine because of Anakin's dreams. They are more like brothers than anything else.

Anakin withdrew into himself as an image came to his minds eye. He didn't want to speak the word; maybe if he didn't speak it, maybe it wouldn't be true.

Feeling his hesitation, Obi-Wan leaned over and placed a hand on his brother?s arm,

"Who are the dreams about?"

Looking up, Anakin softly uttered the word, "Mom."

Great job.

17. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Great post.

I really like this story.

Thanks for the PM.

18. Magier

Jul 2, 2007
    I'm glad they are going back. I hope they hurry and that they can both keep in control if something bad happens.

19. BrightFeather

BrightFeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    I'm worries about those two. This was a canonical turning point for Anakin. Let is be so in the opposite direction for this Ani...

20. XANl

XANl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2006
    bek

i just discover this great story. I rarely read a story with anikin, this is great story!! i still have a few chapters to catch up.

[:D]

21. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Tatooine_Ghost loved it. can not wait for the next chapter.

Thanks! :)

Valairy_Scot I rather suspected it was Siri and Obi-Wan's child! Why do I suspect the child will find a second mother shortly?

That part is still up in the air, nothing's been decided as of yet. [face_thinking]

You ripped my heart out with Siri's death scene - beautifully done.

Thank you. :D

Gkilkenny I hope they find her before anything bad happens; we cannot have two loved ones dying.

Ditto! [face_worried]

dianethx I'm so glad that Obi is willing to go back to Tatooine because of Anakin's dreams.

This is definitely an AU version of Obi-Wan. I always thought that if the cannon version of Anakin had entrusted his master with the content of his dreams, I would like to think that Obi-Wan would have done something to help him. :)

They are more like brothers than anything else.

I am so glad that has come across. I wanted their relationship to be more than that of teacher and student. ;) Thank you!

Laine_Snowtrekker Great post. I really like this story.

Thank you! :)

Thanks for the PM.

You're welcome! ;)

Magier I'm glad they are going back. I hope they hurry and that they can both keep in control if something bad happens.

I think Qui-Gon's wondering the same thing. [face_worried]

BrightFeather I'm worried about those two. This was a canonical turning point for Anakin. Let it be so in the opposite direction for this Ani...

We'll have to wait and see. [face_thinking]

XANl just discover this great story. I rarely read a story with anikin, this is great story!! i still have a few chapters to catch up.

Welcome! [face_hug] I'm glad you're enjoying Life Beyond. I know I'm having fun writing it! :D Thank you for reading.

Chapter 37

The shift in the sound of the engine and the slight shutter of the vessel interrupted Qui-Gon's sleep. He groggily opened his eyes and blinking several times attempted to keep them open. When the ship shuttered before resuming its rhythmic hum, he stood from his cot and grasping his robe walked toward the cockpit. The door opened revealing his former apprentice and grandpadawan; the two were in deep conversation not having noticed the elder Jedi's presence until he cleared his throat.

"What happened?" he asked as he yawned. When he turned in for the night, they had been in hyperspace. What he saw now were not the white streaks of light speed, but the blackness of space and a varied degree of stars just beyond the view port. The ship was turning, and its captain was in the process of resetting coordinates. "Is something wrong?"

Neither young man spoke. When the ship was prepared, Anakin pulled back the lever and the ship transitioned to hyperspeed. Obi-Wan turned his chair around and leaned back. "We're heading to Tatooine."

Qui-Gon's dumbfounded expression would have been comical had the situation not been important. "Tatooine?" His eyebrow rose in consternation. "I expect you both have a good reason for aborting your mission?"

Anakin?s gaze held his grandmaster?s with a determination that would not be deterred. "My mother is in trouble; we need to help her. Besides, no one would suspect Tatooine as a place the Senator would go. So in a sense, we're still right on target."

Qui-Gon addressed Obi-Wan, "You told the 'point of view' excuse?" When the younger master just shrugged, he turned his attention to Anakin. "Did she or someone else contact you?"

The padawan shook his head 'no' and looked at his brother before replying, "I've been having nightmares for months now, and they are increasingly showing me that she's not well."

Sitting down in the extra chair that was stationed near the exit, Qui-Gon smiled kindly; his gaze softening. "Dreams pass in time, young one. Soon they will no longer plague your sleep."

Obi-Wan's eyes flashed da

22. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
    loved it cna not wait for the next chapter.

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    ?The person in my dreams died; we were too late in getting to her because it was thought that my dreams would pass in time. Needless to say I ended up bearing the consequences by being the padawan to a then cold hearted man who couldn?t see past his own grief to see that I was hurting too.? Agitated, Obi-Wan rose from his seat and paced the small area. ?It wasn?t until later that he realized what he had done. And it was shortly after that he realized I wasn?t the same young man that he had taken as his apprentice. I had closed myself off from those around me. I was too far into Palpatine?s teachings; the lessons were beginning to manifest themselves in my training and my behavior,? sitting down in the pilot?s seat, Obi-Wan leaned back to resume staring at the ceiling. ?Before she died I had questioned what I was doing, why I was allowing myself to be influenced by him. I didn't fully understand what was happening, only that it didn?t feel right. Of course his friendly attitude and his sense of genuine concern always overrode the feelings of wrongness. It wasn?t until after we found her, and she passed into the force that I threw myself into learning everything he had to give me; it was a pathetic attempt to retrieve what I had lost when my mentor shut me out. I guess I was looking for comfort and acceptance from the one person I should have run as far from as possible.?

Poor Obi-Wan - his master no help, then shut out of Qui's grieving. How horrible!

"I don't believe these dreams are that serious."

"You didn't back then either."

Qui-Gon closed his mouth and nodded in compliance. There wasn't anything he could do. Anakin was Obi-Wan's apprentice, not his. If they chose to follow this through, then he would accompany them every step of the way.

"I thought you had forgiven me for that." He said softly, having risen from his chair to exit the room.

Obi-Wan's features relaxed marginally, "I have, but that doesn't necessarily make the memory go away."

It can be easier to forgive than to forget.

Let's hope no one gives in to the darkside this time!

24. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I'm glad that you used the dreams pass in time to come from Qui-Gon. It's something he'd likely say, more than Obi-Wan. At least they may have come in time to save Shmi. We can only hope.

Qui-Gon did in fact remember what Obi-Wan had told him about Sebulba and Watto. Although it saddened him that his padawan had once again called upon the dark side he had learned at Palpatine?s side, it frightened him more of what could happen in a village full of beings. Beings that just may have tortured the only mother Obi-Wan had ever known. Without another moment?s thought, he started the speeder and sped off in the direction the swoops had gone.

Looking forward to more.

25. Magier

Jul 2, 2007
    Oh, I am really worried about all of this. I am glad Qui-Gon and Owen are going after them.