Saga Life Beyond the Code (AU Post TPM: OWK/AS) Update 5/9/11 - Ch. 45

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Jul 20, 2005.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4
    Thank the force they were able to fry that bond.
    I hope it sizzled Palpatines hair.:p

I hope they don't go alone to confront him. [face_worried]

=D=
  2. charie Jedi Knight

star 2
    [face_dancing] Keep it comin'!!! Great post.
  3. Laine_Snowtrekker Force Ghost

star 5
    Very good.

Thanks for the PM.
  4. Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Master

star 4
    wow. loved it. can not wait for the next chapter.
  5. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I liked that Palpatine still had some hold over Obi-Wan but that they were able to destroy the link. I liked, too, how the child was afraid of Obi, after he threw her aside. It made perfect sense. Great job.
  6. Obi-Odd13 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Wow. Lemme just say: amazing. I had read this some time before, but for whatever reason, never posted anything. :confused: I dunno what I was thinking, seeing as I can't get enough of this story. [face_love]

And that scene where Obi-Wan sought out the fragment of his bond with old Palps, and inadvertently caused a battle of the minds between him and Palpatine, that was just amazingly awesome. I can't even describe it, I just loved it.[face_love][face_love] And all the cute little moments with his daughter, they're so adorable! And of course all the bonding moments with Anakin through out the story. I love how they have a much better relationship together than in canon. I always thought that if they had just opened up and trusted the other just a little bit more, everything would have been different. But this is so much more satisfying. I just can't get enough. [face_hypnotized] [face_dancing]

Anyways, I'd love it if you could add me to the PM list, I can't bear to miss a chapter!! [face_love][face_love]=D==D=
  7. JENNA Force Ghost

star 2
    OMG, it's been ages since I've been on here. ;( I have been sooooo busy. But I still love this story. :waves hand: you will keep me on the list. [face_laugh] :squints eyes: are you sure you're not George Lucas? Cause this deserves to be in the same slot as the movies. :) I'm so glad that the bond between Palps and Obi has been broken (hopefully) but Sidious is smart, won't he be expecting an attack from Obi? He seems all knowing anyway.... :mad: says his ego...
  8. littleobiwankenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Very good.just found the story, please uodate soon.

Thanks for the PM.
  9. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    Hi bek,

Finally finished reading what you've posted so far after several consecutive hours in front of my computer, but it was definitely worth it. This is a very well thought-out story of how things could have turned out differently if Anakin had been trained outside the Jedi order and didn't have to keep a relationship with Padmé secret.

First of all, after reading the last post, I'm so relieved that Palpatine didn't find out about Jamiyan. You're not going to be evil and let Palpatine find out about her later, are you? [face_mischief] ;) Am also really glad that Obi-Wan is finally free of Palpatine.

I really liked your descriptions of the Force bond throughout this story. The image I get of it is partially a string, partially a footpath and partially a tunnel - very vivid and original! [face_idea]

I really like your idea that there was a Chosen Pair, not just a Chosen One. This is an idea that I liked to throw around in my head back when TPM had just come out and speculation about the next episode was rife. I felt that Obi-Wan surely had to be more than just the master of the Chosen One. After AotC and RotS came out, I came to accept that Lucas had intended for Anakin to be the only Chosen One, but in the sense that his turning to the Dark Side would spark off the chain of events that led to the eventual balance of the Force, not (as the Jedi mistakenly believed) that he would directly help the Jedi in bringing it about. Then, as even more time passed, I began to think, the prophecy might have said there was only one Chosen One, but if you think about it, all the characters we know were all chosen in some way to play a part in bringing balance to the Force, even if they died before it came about: Obi-Wan, who was Anakin's Master; Qui-Gon, who found Anakin on Tatooine; Padmé and Bail, upright leaders and senators of the Republic; Garen Muln, Commander of the Republic Forces; Shmi, who raised the Chosen One; Beru, who took care of Luke, etc., and all of them played their part admirably. Can we really say that their roles were less important than Anakin's was? But I'm digressing... (sorry!) :p I'm curious to see how you'll expand on this idea of a Chosen Pair - how will the fact that they are a team as opposed to two individuals figure into the conclusion? - and whether that's really all there is to the prophecy (after all, prophecies are so much more interesting when they're misinterpreted, aren't they? ;) ). Also, why is it that Anakin has an abnormally high midichlorian count, but Obi-Wan doesn't? Or was it misread in the past?

It's an extremely interesting twist that there hasn't been a secret relationship between Anakin and Padmé (not that they would need to have a secret relationship given the present circumstances), while Obi-Wan is the one who got married!

Finally, some thoughts on Obi-Wan diverging from the Jedi Code: we've seen Obi-Wan not following the Jedi Code on multiple times when he sees good reason for it. Most of the time, he does have good justification for doing so - for instance, he does appear to have made the correct choice in training Anakin; there really doesn't seem to be any harm done in him considering Anakin as a brother and Shmi as a mother; we see that Obi-Wan did not allow his love for Siri to affect his conduct as a Jedi. Nevertheless, I do think that the Jedi Code exists for a good reason - it may be outdated and in need of reform, but the idea is that it provides general guidelines for the Jedi. Are the Jedi really going to give Obi-Wan the freedom of deciding whether or not he wants to follow the Code in each particular instance for the rest of his life, or will there come a point where the Jedi will decide on reforms to the Code and Obi-Wan will be required to adhere to the new Code? A part of me can't help but think that if the present situation continues on, the Code would gradually become meaningless...

All in all, a great story. Hope you get ideas for continuing it soon. Please put me on your PM list! :)
  10. bek Force Ghost

star 4
    Valairy_Scot Happy dance, happy dance - this wonderful story is back and what an update! Full of magnificent goodness as usual.

Thank you! :)

Yeah, Obi's free (?) of Palps (for now)!

Yes, he?s free. The only remaining evidence would be the trace of darkness that lingers with Obi-Wan due to the fact that he opened himself up to it when under Palps tutelage. However, he has learned control...we hope! ;)

ratna I think you tapped into the 5-year old in all of us, right there!

I hope so! I didn?t have a relationship with either of my grandfathers when I was younger so when I write about the grandfather/granddaughter relationship, I hope each time that it comes across as being realistic. ;)

GeneralKenobi7 Oh, yeah, that's right.

Jamiyan isn?t fond of trying to be still for meditation when she has so much energy to spend. ;)

Magnificent chapter (Palps got his butt kicked!). Jame really is a great character.

Thank you! I?m rather fond of Jame myself. [face_love]

JediMaster_Jen That was so sad that she was afraid of her daddy. Glad to see she came around.

She knows deep down that he?d never hurt her. And the bond they share helped her understand that he was all right and what had happened had passed.

I loved Palpy being slammed by Obi-Wan and Anakin. The teamwork they showed can only mean good things to come.

The boys know how to kick butt! :D

Great work.

Thanks! :)

Gkilkenny Thank the force they were able to fry that bond. I hope it sizzled Palpatine?s hair.

The boys know how to work together when needed. Their time on Tatooine, only having each other to depend on for so long (other than Shmi and then Cliegg and Owen) has helped them bond more closely. :)

I hope they don't go alone to confront him.

They?re both stubborn so they probably will go alone. [face_worried]

charie Keep it comin'!!! Great post.

Laine_Snowtrekker Very good. Thanks for the PM.

Thank you!

You?re welcome! :)

Tatooine_Ghost wow. loved it. can not wait for the next chapter.

Thanks so much! Sorry ?bout the long wait. :)

dianethx I liked that Palpatine still had some hold over Obi-Wan but that they were able to destroy the link. I liked, too, how the child was afraid of Obi, after he threw her aside. It made perfect sense. Great job.

Palps hold over Obi-Wan is finally gone, unless the old man finds another way. And deep down, Jamiyan knows her father would never hurt her. The bond they shared helped to assure her that what had occurred had passed. :)

Obi-Odd13 Wow. Lemme just say: amazing. I had read this some time before, but for whatever reason, never posted anything. I dunno what I was thinking, seeing as I can't get enough of this story.

Thank you for the kind words; I appreciate it! :)

And that scene where Obi-Wan sought out the fragment of his bond with old Palps, and inadvertently caused a battle of the minds between him and Palpatine, that was just amazingly awesome. I can't even describe it, I just loved it. And all the cute little moments with his daughter, they're so adorable! And of course all the bonding moments with Anakin through out the story. I love how they have a much better relationship together than in canon. I always thought that if they had just opened up and trusted the other just a little bit more, everything would have been different. But this is so much more satisfying. I just can't get enough.

Obi-Wan and Anakin have bonded more closely having been on Tatooine with only each other to depend on (aside from Shmi, and then Cliegg and Owen). They didn?t have the other Jedi to ask qu
  11. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4
    Great.
    Obi-Wan and Anakin staying out of trouble... umm I don't think so.

Has it been a year ... WoW.:D

=D=
  12. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 5
    Stay out of trouble, I think not.

Hopefully, they can end it, though.

I also got the vibe (fear) that Palps knows about Obi-Wan's daughter.
  13. Darth_Drachonus Force Ghost

star 3
    Welcome back. Excellent way to announce your return. Excellent way indeed!
  14. The1stJediPrincess Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Finally caught up with this story and it's great. Please put me on your PM list!
  15. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    Great to see an update! [face_dancing] I'll have to go back and reread some previous chapters to recall what was going on, but for now I just wanted to say that I loved the conversation between Palpatine and Obi-Wan, with all its undercurrents and insinuations. We all know how crafty Palpatine can be in his speech, so it's good that Obi-Wan was able to match him here!
  16. The_Nerfherder Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wonderful! Could you add me to the PM list for this one, too? :D
  17. obsessedwithSW Force Ghost

star 4
    Sat down last night and read this in one sitting. Wonderful! Ive always been a sucker for any story that really played out Ob-Wan's and Anakin's relationship and their partnership. I also find it interesting how Palpatine has gotten his claws in Obi-Wan and how in this fiction, based on the circumstances, Obi-Wan seems to be the irratic and impulsive one and Anakin is much more stable. My SiriWan heart thanks you for not having to watch someone else with Obi- even if you killed her off!:( Please keep at this this is too good to let die as a WIP. Please add me to your pm list also. I cant wait till the next post.
  18. BrightFeather Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sat down and finally got caught up. :) Life with a two-year-old is hectic. Great last couple chapters. Re-add me to the update list, Bek?
  19. Paige Jedi Padawan

20. obimom Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Ok, I found this story the other day and it has captivated me. It's been awhile since I've read a story I found hard to "put down". this is WONDERFULLY written. I just finished ch. 23, with ominous hints of a creepy past concerning Palps and Obi-Wan...so glad he has his guard up. Love the life you have written for Obi-Wan, Anakin and his family. Love the reconciliation between Obi-Wan and qui-Gon and that Qui-Gon will be going back to Tatooine with them. OK..I just LOVE this.

I"m not even sure if you've finished this yet or not...but if not, I hope you will continue this soon.

In the meantime, I'll keep reading as I can to catch up.

=D= Bravo!!
  21. obimom Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Now I'm caught up.

Love Jamiyan....so sad Siri died, but love the she and Obi did get married and he has his little daughter now. I love Obi-wan being a Daddy...soo cute. [face_love]

But I'm concerned...I hope Palps hasn't or will not find out about her.

Love this whole story...but you know how I feel with all the posts I left "over there".

Hope you are able to update soon (but also looking forward to Somewhere In the Middle update!):D

Great story!!
  22. bek Force Ghost

star 4

Chapter 43 Replies

Gkilkenny Great.

Obi-Wan and Anakin staying out of trouble... umm I don't think so.

They?re not very good at it are they? :p

Has it been a year ... WoW

Time does go by fast, doesn?t it? ;)

Valairy_Scot Stay out of trouble, I think not.

Those two attract trouble. ;)

Hopefully, they can end it, though.

They?re working on it. :)

I also got the vibe (fear) that Palps knows about Obi-Wan's daughter.

He knows Kenobi has a secret, but not yet what it entails.

Darth_Drachonus Welcome back. Excellent way to announce your return. Excellent way indeed!

Thank you! I?m glad you enjoyed it and that I?ve still got a feel for this story. Having given more attention to ?Somewhere??, I?m having a time keeping the two different personalities confined to the right fic. :)

The1stJediPrincess Finally caught up with this story and it's great. Please put me on your PM list!

I?m glad you?re enjoying it! I?d be happy to add you to the PM list, thanks so much for reading! :)

Valiowk Great to see an update! I'll have to go back and reread some previous chapters to recall what was going on, but for now I just wanted to say that I loved the conversation between Palpatine and Obi-Wan, with all its undercurrents and insinuations. We all know how crafty Palpatine can be in his speech, so it's good that Obi-Wan was able to match him here!

I?m glad it came across well. It was a bear to write! ;)

The_Nerfherder Wonderful! Could you add me to the PM list for this one, too?

Thanks! And I?d be happy to add you, thanks so much for reading! :)

obsessedwithSW Sat down last night and read this in one sitting. Wonderful! I?ve always been a sucker for any story that really played out Ob-Wan and Anakin's relationship and their partnership. I also find it interesting how Palpatine has gotten his claws into Obi-Wan and how in this fiction, based on the circumstances, Obi-Wan seems to be the erratic and impulsive one and Anakin is much more stable.

I tend to lean toward the brotherly aspect of their relationship when writing. In Life Beyond, Anakin is a bit more levelheaded in that he was raised by not only Obi-Wan, but by Shmi as well. And he was raised outside the confines of the Order away from the restrictions and the Code. In doing so, he is more relaxed with who he is, not feeling as though he needs to live up to the ideals of who the Jedi think he should be or that he needs to prove himself as the best. He grew up in a family unit where who he was ? flaws and all ? was perfectly fine; being himself was all that was required. He didn?t need to be something he wasn?t.

Obi-Wan has been through quite a bit in his apprenticeship with having learned the dark side under Palpatine without realizing he was doing so as it was a slow and subtle process, and then being pulled back to the light by Qui-Gon who has only his well-being at heart. He?s struggled with both teachings his entire apprenticeship, but has chosen to lean toward the light. He met Anakin and in keeping his promise to his master, he left the Jedi to train the boy. In doing so, Obi-Wan learned that there was more to life than just what he?d been taught. In learning to live outside the restrictions he grew up in, he?s become a bit rebellious, seeing both sides of the coin. And in learning who he is, one of two Chosen, he is now responsible along with Anakin to bring balance. He?s a bit overwhelmed trying to do everything on his own as he wants to protect those he has come to see as family.

I hope that helped explain it a little.

My SiriWan heart thanks you for not having to watch someone else with Obi- even if you kille
  23. bek Force Ghost

star 4
    Author?s Note: Hello everyone?I wanted to explain a little bit about the next two chapters (44 & 45) before you begin reading. It may seem like the eventual confrontation is being drug out now that the boys are back on Coruscant and looking for something to bring Palps down. And if it does, it is not intentional. After rereading the story and thinking on it for quite some time, it seemed plausible that closure was needed in as much of the events in Obi-Wan?s life as possible before confronting Palpatine.

Obi-Wan has been through quite a lot in this story. Some of which are listed below, and I may have missed some being I didn?t look back at the chapters:

• His experience with the dark side as a padawan and his friendship with Palpatine

• The forged death of his mentor by the Jedi Council in an earnest desire to protect Jinn

• The finding of a family who took him in and taught him how to love

• The taking of Sebulba and Watto?s lives (he touched the dark side when he killed sebulba) in order to find and rescue Anakin on Tatooine

• Learning his master was alive and no one bothered to tell him for four years. He had to discover it on his own with the hints the force was giving him.

• His re-encounter with Palps on Naboo

• Preventing Shmi?s death (he touched the dark side briefly and then had to reign in his padawan)

• His fight with Anakin in the Tusken camp

• His marriage

• His daughter

• His wife?s death

• His friendship with Khloe?and

• His fight in keeping Palps at bay and exposing him for who he truly is has taken its toll.

If Obi-Wan is to confront Palpatine, then he needs to confront the past in order to do so. This chapter (44) shows a little with Chapter 45 showing more, that he?s held it all in, not releasing it as he should. At least, that?s how it?s supposed to come across. ;)

I hope that made sense. And I hope you enjoy the chapter! :)

Chapter 44

Mace speaking to Qui-Gon on a comm. unit with visual screen

?I?m telling you Qui, somewhere along the way that boy has picked up your stubborn streak! And in the words of Master Yoda, ?need that he does not!??

Qui-Gon chuckled at the agitated expression his colleague was wearing. When his laughter died down, he asked, ?Did he tell you what he was thinking when he went to confront him??

Mace shook his head. ?No. Only that he hadn?t planned it. Which brings me to wonder why you haven?t shown up yet; I didn?t figure you one for staying put.?

?He charged me with Jamiyan?s care.?

?So I guess you?re working on a plan to transfer that charge to someone else??

Qui-Gon allowed a small smirk to appear. ?Possibly.? Crossing his arms on the table in front of him, the Jedi leaned forward. ?You wouldn?t happen to know if Garen Muln?s currently in Temple would you??

The councilor shrugged. ?I could check the mission dockets.?

?Please do,? Jinn replied. ?And if he?s available, assign him to Naboo. I?ll update him on his assignment once he arrives.?

?And how long should I allot for this task??

Features becoming more serious, Qui-Gon replied, ?Indefinitely, at least for now.? Changing the subject back to his former apprentice, he said, ?Mace, I need you to make sure he doesn?t confront him alone. He can handle himself, I?ve no doubt of that, but they?re meant to do it as a team. Obi-Wan seems to have forgotten that part.?

?I?m a man of my word, old friend, you know that. But you?d better hurry up and get here. I don?t like being responsible for your younglings. They tend to be more trouble than they?re worth.?

Before Jinn could reply, Mace continued, ?You know, Kenobi could get himself into some scrapes when he was younger but he always knew where to draw the line. Ever since Skywalker showed up or should I say ever since the Naboo mission, since he chose to live outside our jurisdiction, those lines seemed to have vanished.?

Hiding a smile, Qui-Gon asked, ?Are you sayi
  24. obimom Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Ok, just wanted to post here also...wonderful!!!

Loved this.

I hope Palps doesn't find out about Obi's daughter, that worries me. [face_worried]
  25. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 5
    Bad Obimom, bad, beating me to the reply! [face_shame_on_you]

[face_dancing] Yeah, an update! [face_dancing] The long drought is - over? [face_praying]
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade