main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Life Beyond the Code (AU Post TPM: OWK/AS) Update 5/9/11 - Ch. 45

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Jul 20, 2005.

1. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Moving on UP! :)

2. Vanerina

Vanerina Jedi Master

May 20, 2005
    Ooooooohhhh.

Who is it?

Whowhowhowhowho?

3. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    UP! :) More please. :)

4. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Author's Note: I'll post replies to the last chapter a little later. I do thank you all so much for reading and taking the time to reply. [:D] I apologize for the long wait, I think it's been about a month or close to it. I'd like to blame it on my muse but the truth is life's been a little busy and I've been a bit lazy with my spare time, that and entertaining other bunnies that have popped up. [face_blush] Thank you again for sticking with this and I promise that there will not be such a long wait for the next post! :) Hope you enjoy! ;)

Chapter 9

Shmi sat with Cliegg outside her small humble dwelling watching the lights faintly flicker within the city, one at a time going out as the late hours approached.

?I think I may have done something wrong when I was here last,? Cliegg interrupted the silence.

Turning toward him, Shmi?s brow furrowed in question.

?Well, I don?t think Anakin was too keen on me being here. I could see it in his eyes.? he smiled self-consciously.

Shaking her head, Shmi laughed lightly as she explained, ?It wasn?t you. Anakin is having a hard time letting go. It was just the two of us for so long that he doesn?t really know anything else.?

?He?s been living with Obi-Wan for the past three years, hasn?t that helped a bit?? Cliegg asked, confused.

?Yes, but as Obi-Wan explained it to me, Anakin looks to him an older brother and not competition for my affections. To him, this is still his home.?

?Is this your home, Shmi?? Cliegg asked, his voice somewhat nervous.

Shmi shook her head 'no' and then slightly shrugged her shoulders with indecision. ?Somewhat I guess. My home has always been where Anakin is.?

Cliegg sighed deeply before turning to look at Shmi. ?The thing is this, you are a strong woman Shmi; gracious, kind, caring, and you love your family-?

?Now Cliegg, I?m not-? Shmi interrupted.

Cliegg moved off his seat and sat on the sand in front of her clasping her hands. Rushing forward he continued, ?Please, don?t interrupt.? He replied as he swallowed hard. ?Shmi, I would be honored if you would allow me to buy your freedom. I don?t feel right doing it behind your back and I don?t want you to feel as though you?re indebted to me for doing so. I will give you your papers and I will set you free. I only ask that you allow me to continue to call on you from time to time as we have been doing. Perhaps in time, with your consent, I will ask for your hand in marriage. But first, I want you to experience true freedom and all that it offers.? Cliegg swallowed audibly and waited for her reply.

Shmi?s eyes grew wider with each word that came from this gentle man?s heart. Free. ?I can?t let you do that, Cliegg. As much as I wish for my own freedom, I can?t allow you to do that.?

?Listen to me Shmi. You are worth so much and more and it?s about time you start believing in that. If you?re worried about where you would live, well, I?ve already spoken to Obi-Wan and he?s got plenty of room. He also gives his blessing. If he feels I am an honest man with no deception within my heart, can you perhaps give me a chance outside of slavery??

Shmi was touched by the faith that Obi-Wan had placed in this man. She knew he wouldn?t have dealt out a blessing upon their potential union if he himself believed there to be something amiss about Cliegg Lars. Nodding her acceptance of freedom and a long awaited proper courtship, she smiled. ?I accept.?

Cliegg laughed and gathered her into his arms. ?I promise to do everything I can to make sure you never regret this.?

She pulled back, raising her hand to touch his cheek. ?I know.?

X

?Anakin?? Obi-Wan paced in the common area waiting for a response.

?Yeah??

He heard the muffled distracted call.

?We need to talk.? Obi-Wan had allowed Anakin to calm down after his outburst the previous day and was now going to confront his padawan concerning the anger he had allowed to control his actions.

Anakin walked into the living area with a droid part in his hand

5. AP4EVER

AP4EVER Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    ?Did it make you feel better??

?A little,? Anakin admitted, suddenly realizing that if his master had wanted to, he could?ve have taken him down without a thought.

?Well I?m glad that you felt better because my jaw is still sore,?

[face_laugh]

His eyes burned with resentment, ?I thought you were going to let me pick my sentence.?

Smiling, Obi-Wan reached down and ruffled his younger brother?s hair, ?I did. And then I added to it. Really Anakin, you were letting yourself off too easily.?

[face_laugh]

Glad to see they've talked things over regarding that little episode, and now things are back to normal. Also liked seeing Cliegg offering to free Shmi. As Yoda would say, "brings warm feelings to my heart it does."

'sbout time we had an update, I was getting worried there. Wonderful post, bek. I can't wait to read more, and I anxiously await the 'brothers' reunion with Qui-Gon.:D

6. Darth_Scroobius

Darth_Scroobius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    Yaaaah! You're back.

I like the Clieg of this story. In the movies we only get to see his gruff, Uncle Owen-ish personality. Here we get to see why Shmi goes for the guy.

?It?s the new circuit board for the droid I?m building.?

Sounds like Threepio might make an appearance. Doh!

?What do you think your punishment should be??

That is such a sneaky parenting tactic. It definitely says something about Anakin's character that he minimizes his own punishment. Very in-character for him.

So the question is just how poorly will Anakin take the news about his mother?

7. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Previous post. Loved the way Anakin was frightened at waking to find Obi gone. And the fact that he used to sit with Obi-Wan until the dreams went away. :)

New post: Why do I think Anakin may not be happy about this marriage? And is he building a certain obnoxious droid? o_O

8. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    That was wonderful!

I liked Obi-Wan's idea for Anakin's punishment. Not only is it a good way for him to learn that there are consequences for his actions, but it also will force Anakin to get to know Owen and Cliegg. :D

Amazing job!

Ani-maniac

9. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    Shmi's freedom=D=
    Anakin and Obi-Wan=D=

I can't wait until Anakin meets Owen...that should be funo_O

thanks for the pm[face_peace]

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2005
    yay an update! i'm totally loving this story. the relationship between anakin and obi-wan is so touching! can't wait to see how anakin reacts to seeing shmi free! (and cliegg lars!)

11. KTfanfic

KTfanfic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 16, 2005
    ?When you?re finished pouting perhaps we can spar a bit.? He began counting as he continued his trek down the corridor. One, two, three, fo?

?Master??

=D= This is very good, I can?t wait to see what happens next!

~KT

12. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    ah Bek, you are truly a wonderful writer.

I can't tell you how much I anticipated this one. I truly hope there will be no more long waits between updates! [face_shame_on_you] :D

I really enjoyed this! The Cliegg and Shmi bit was lovely, it was really nice to see this side of him, a beautiful exchange between the two of them. Hmm, Anakin is going to be sent to Owens place now..hmmm... :D cant wait to see what happens!

He began counting as he continued his trek down the corridor. One, two, three, fo?

?Master??

Obi-Wan smiled, and then quickly composed himself before turning around. His eyebrow raised, he replied, ?Yes??

[face_laugh] Ha ha, that was great! kind of reminded me of that end bit of Down with Love.. :D

I can't wait to hear more about Qui-Gon too! [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Please update soon! [face_praying]

13. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    Shmi was touched by the faith that Obi-Wan had placed on this man. She knew he wouldn?t have dealt out a blessing upon their potential union if he himself believed there to be something amiss about Cliegg Lars. Nodding her acceptance of freedom and a long awaited proper courtship, she smiled. ?I accept.?

Cliegg laughed and gathered her into his arms. ?I promise to do everything I can to make sure you never regret this.?

It is wonderful to see a little romance between these two that we never get to see in the movies! [:D]

And, I like Obi-Wan's sneaky plan for Anakin: "And maybe you?ll even learn to like them,? [face_batting]

So, Anakin, next time you think about punching out your Master, DON'T! [face_laugh]

More, please! [face_dancing]

14. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005

Chapter 8 Replies

Master_Noi: And then the fact that he went for the med kit was priceless. He needed to fix what he broke. ;) And also, he loves Obi-Wan like a brother, he didn't really mean to hurt him. :)

Looking forward to seeing how he is alive. Yeah, me too! I think I may have wrote myself into a corner. I'm still looking for a believable solution to this. [face_worried]

Darth_Scroobius: Somehow, I read but didn't reply to the last chapter. Doh! It's okay, really! [face_laugh] I'm just thankful that you're still enjoying it. :)

"You could use a shave, and a haircut for that matter." - Indeed, even before he was in a coma! [face_laugh] I take it you don't care for the beard and long hair? :p

So many questions and no answers forthcoming. :( Thank you for the many possiblities you have outlined though, they may come in handy! [face_mischief] With your permission of course. ;)

AP4EVER: I took from my own experience in Anakin's panic at finding himself alone. My five year old got lost in the mall about a month back, talk about panic, I was the poster girl for it. Everything turned out well but for a while there I was a mess and when my son was found, so was he.

I anticipate Qui-Gon's exit from the Med Center. His release will not be as easy as he would like! [face_mischief]

VaderLVR64: Thanks! :) He was so upset when he woke up and Obi wasn't there! Even after three years, Anakin still feels as though this could be a dream and that at any moment he will wake up and it will all go away. Finding Obi-Wan gone that morning only helped to confirm that if he blinks, it might all disappear.

iLoveAnakin7: Oopsie, my mistake. There's so many PM lists going around I can't keep them all straight. I feel like such a dope. No, please don't feel like that. I'm glad you found your way here and that you are enjoying the fic. :) Thanks for reading! ;)

I can't wait until they encounter Qui-Gon. That will be interesting, I hope! :)

JOINME: Just gets better and better! You're too sweet! :D Thank you! And you're not close, you're dead on! ;)

JuniorPadawan: I don't think Lucas allowed them room to show much of a familial relationship with the characters. There were hints of it but not enough for my taste. :p I like to think of them as having a father/son relationship.

15. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005

Chapter 8 Replies...Cont'

Star_Drifter: How is Qui-Gon alive? Don't know, you tell me! :p No seriously, I'm still trying to figure that aspect out and make it believable. :)

I guess that finding someone missing would freak a person out on Tatooine, home of that friendly football team, the Tuskan Raiders... [face_laugh] That was good! :)

KTfanfic: I'm looking forward to Obi-Wan and Anakin finding out that Qui-Gon is alive. There may be mixed feelings there. [face_worried]

Ani-maniac: I think Anakin lived with anger long before the Jedi found him. In an extra scene on TPM dvd, Qui-Gon broke up a fight between Greedo and Anakin which showed that anger. After having watched that again, I added it into the fic showing that although he was still prone to those feelings that with the right guidance and understanding and trust that perhaps he could learn how to control it instead of it controlling him. ;)

jacen: Thank you for reading and also for moving this up in the board! :)

River_Stone: Will he try to pull him back to the Jedi, knowing that Anakin can't come with him? That is a possibility. ;) And will Obi-Wan want to go? [face_whistling]

Vanerina: Thanks for stopping in! :) Who is that? :confused:

16. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Yay, Shmi is going to be free. I wonder how having Shmi in their home will change the dynamic for Obi-Wan and Anakin. [face_thinking]

I like how Obi-Wan is kind of playing matchmaker here, and trying to get Anakin used to the Cliegg and Owen.

17. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I've caught up with myself as far as what I had written of this fic in advance, meaning that I am now writing as I go. I'm going to be behind in replies again this time around, [face_blush] I apologize for that. I do thank each of you for reading and replying, it means so much! :) I'll try to have replies up for chapter 9 tomorrow or the next day.

On with the next chapter...Hope you enjoy! ;)

Chapter 10

Taking hold of the parallel bars in front of him, Qui-Gon lifted himself to a standing position while placing the majority of his weight upon his arms. Once he was steady, he cautiously lifted his right foot forcing it to take a step forward. His foot scuffed upon the floor as he used his hip to initiate the movement; thereby, turning the non-cooperative limb into a diagonal angle.

He bit down on his lip to keep his frustration from being voiced. Breathing heavily, he straightened the limb before once again leaning forward upon his arms. He glared at his left lower appendage as if somehow thinking that that would make it leap to his command. Concentrating, he closed his eyes and with a boost of energy from the Force, the lower extremity slowly lifted and stepped forward.

His chest rose fast and steady from his exertion. A small satisfied smile found its way to his lips. It wasn?t much, but he had just taken his first steps.

?Master Jinn!?

Moving his head to the side as to not look toward his unwanted guest, he moaned in protest of the forthcoming confrontation.

As the figure moved closer, he could feel the irritation being broadcast for all force users to sense. ?What do you think you are doing?! You?re not due to begin another round of physical therapy ?till next week! You could have done more damage than good!?

Taking a deep breath in an effort to control his temper, as it had been madly fluctuating the past few months, he looked into the eyes of his tormentor. ?Now I understand why Obi-Wan couldn?t wait to get away from the healers ward.?

?Ha, ha. I would take that as a compliment except I wasn't a healer at that time. Let me help you get back into the hover chair,? the physician stated, moving around behind the Jedi Master in an attempt to help him to sit back down.

Qui-Gon turned around as far as his body would allow while still holding the rails. ?NO!?

Bant looked up, startled but unruffled. ?Don?t get huffy with me, now you either accept my help or I?ll sedate you and have the med droids move you back to the infirmary. Which do you prefer??

Qui-Gon glared at the healer a moment before finally releasing a sigh of defeat and allowing her to help him back to the medical center.

The walk through the Temple was quiet. Bant looked down periodically to see that her patient was still resting his head upon his hand as she directed the chair through the corridors. ?You have to talk to me sometime, you know. You and Obi never were ones to stay upset for too long.?

?How could you possibly remember? My pada? he hasn?t been in Temple for the past four years and I?ve been in a coma.?

She chuckled but her gaze held no mirth. She knew he missed him as much as she did, probably more so. ?As soon as you?re stronger, Master Yoda said you could go to Tatooine.? She turned the corner and pushed the chair into the medical wing. Carefully maneuvering around the obstacles in the waiting area, she located his room and entered. Stopping next to the bed she gauged her patient?s mood before attempting to ask a question. ?Do you want to shower before climbing into a fresh linen bed??

He looked over toward the fresher. ?You aren?t planning on helping are you?? He only half jokingly asked.

?That would definitely be a resounding 'no',? she stated, a slight bit of humor coloring her words.

?Then yes, a hot shower would feel good.? Taking the controls, Qui-Gon directed the chair into the fresher and closed the door.

X

Slipping from shadow to shadow along the buildings, Anakin made his way to his mother?s quarters. He knew he shouldn?t be out during the da

18. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    Lovely post. :)

19. AP4EVER

AP4EVER Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    "Now I understand why Obi-Wan couldn?t wait to get away from the healers ward."

[face_laugh]

"Do you want to shower before climbing into a fresh linen bed?"

He looked over toward the fresher, "You aren?t planning on helping are you?" He only half jokingly asked.

"That would definitely be a resounding no," she stated, a slight bit of humor coloring her words.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

"And how would you know anything of the dark side? Your faultless."

"I?ve watched as my own master nearly drowned in his grief and lust for revenge when the woman he forbiddingly loved died. I watched his former apprentice commit suicide because he would rather die than face the Council for the atrocities he committed. I saw a world torn apart, children and parents separated on opposite sides warring against one another and I myself in the middle of it. I shortly lived with the surge of power it offered in my thirst for vengeance when the Sith killed Qui-Gon. I know the dark side, Anakin, more intimately than I would care to admit. And everyday I deal with the what if?s in the decisions I have made. That, padawan, is how I know."

Anakin:...I'm convinced.

But really, take it from Obi, he's had upfront and personal views of how the Darkside affects people.

Another great chapter, bek. Hope Qui-Gon heals completely soon, but then again, with his determination, that might not be needed. Can't wait to read more!:D

20. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    There Ani blows, with his darkside hints...hehe[face_mischief]

I hope this plan with Shmi comes off without a scratch[face_plain]

thanks for the pm[face_peace]

21. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Poor Qui-Gon. So frustrated at being stuck. At least he has Bant there to torment - I mean watch out for him and keep him company.

?I?ve watched as my own master nearly drowned in his grief and lust for revenge when the woman he forbiddingly loved died. I watched his former apprentice commit suicide because he would rather die than face the Council for the atrocities he committed. I saw a world torn apart, children and parents separated on opposite sides warring against one another and I myself in the middle of it. I shortly lived with the surge of power it offered in my thirst for vengeance when the sith killed Qui-Gon. I know the dark side, Anakin, more intimately than I would care to admit. And everyday I deal with the what if?s in the decisions I have made. That, padawan, is how I know.?

I really liked this. I hope Anakin listens to him.

22. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    / Be mindful padawan mine. That line of thought will lead you down a path I would not wish you to go /

He looked up sharply and for the first time since the bond had been formed he wished that his master would leave him alone. ?And how do you know it?s not a path that I wish to follow??

That, is a very good question... [face_thinking]

"It is a path that is easy to follow because it requires no effort to do evil."

What a great answer! =D=

[face_thinking] Hmmmm... is that why I am a Sith?

[face_worried]

23. Darth_Scroobius

Darth_Scroobius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    So many questions and no answers forthcoming. Thank you for the many possiblities you have outlined though, they may come in handy! With your permission of course.

Permission granted.

Another good chapter. At last, the expected revelation. Anakin didn't take it as poorly as I though he might. Obi-Wan is quite the master manipulator, and smooth talker. And Anakin, well...

24. KTfanfic

KTfanfic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 16, 2005
    This is very good! It was cool to see Obi-wan calm Anakin down. :D

~KT

25. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Finally! A post!

<has heart attack>

<comes back as blue ghostie to comment> :p

I loved this! You capture Anakin so wonderfully, his temper, his possessive sort of love for his mother...
    and I am loving the way Obi-Wan is so patient and understanding with him. He doesn't falter when it comes to Anakin's questions, and it's lovely to see their relationship grow stronger.

And as for Qui-Gon- [face_dancing]
    Soon he'll be able to walk! Yay! But why doesn't Obi-Wan know yet? I can't wait until he finds out, and how this will change things...

More soon? [face_praying]