main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Life Day!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Ayn, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ayn

Ayn Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2006
    Life Day is fast approaching! Anyone for a Life Day celebration? Its still early November, but Im sure everyone will be busy with holiday festivities, so the more time to plan and chose a good date the better. If anyone wants to do this, planning for early December might be easiest on everyones schedule :) Id be glad to help organize a small gift exchange, bake some wookiee cookiees, etc. Everyone, time to get out your Life Day orbs and Robes!

2. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Forgive me, but I wasn't quite sure (or forgot) what Life Day was (What kind of Star Wars fan are you, Crash?), so I checked it out on Wikipedia:

"Life Day was the fictional Wookiee holiday celebrated by the inhabitants of Kashyyyk. It was originally featured in The Star Wars Holiday Special with its airing in 1978."

"Unlike most aspects of the normally well-crafted Star Wars universe, Life Day is utterly expedient, inserted into the show to provide a very basic goal for the heroes, and lend a bit of topical relevance to the material, which would otherwise be completely inappropriate for a television holiday special."

After reading this, I say.....What the heck. Lets do Life Day [face_dancing]
    So, what do you do on Life Day?.....something to do with Orbs and Robes? I think early December is good, but need to check with Blue.

3. MasterKeyan

MasterKeyan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2006
    What an absolutely awesome idea...I had not heard about Life Day in years...Great idea Ayn!

4. jawafett

jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep star 3

Mar 13, 2003
    Celebrating Life Day would be really fun aside from watching the Holiday Special. We can get together for some holiday cheer before things get to buisy before the holidays. Let's plan for this soon as family is already clawing at my door.

5. Quick2

Quick2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2006
    Life day....Let the Wookies Party .. WOOT.. I agree with Eric.... NO Star Wars Holiday Special...My brain will explode if I view it..

6. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    shouldn't we at least watch the part of the show which features Life Day?

7. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    So Ayn, what is the best day to do Life Day. And what are some things we can bring?

8. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    :eek::_| I'm OFFENDED because I dont CELEBRATE "Life Day" so we should just say HAPPY HOLIDAYS or SEASONS GREETINGS! :mad:

:p[face_laugh];)

9. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    I know what you mean. The celebration of Christmas is really being lost by all these secondary celebrations. I hate it when everyone puts their own "minor" celebrations around the time of Christmas just to be copy cats. I especially hate this celebration of Winter Solstice....I mean, you know they put the date of Winter Solstice in late December just to coincide with Christmas. ;)
    (I do sarcasm well, don?t you think?)

10. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    that so confused me. Couldn't tell weather you were agreeing or disagreeing with MY joking because you said you do SARCASM well. lol. :p

11. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    That's the best part of sarcasm, when you are misunderstood.

12. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    P.S. I will discuss what I meant with my sarcasm later (I just lost two paragraphs of discussion when my computer just crashed, and don't have time to retype it). But for now, I will just way goodby and "SEASONS GREETINGS" !!

13. jawafett

jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep star 3

Mar 13, 2003
    Time is closing in to where we need to lock a date down if we want to get together. Dec 2nd or 3rd different date, place? time??? I would really like to see this happen as we haven't been together in a while. Whatever we celebrate, we can celebrate all that we have done as a FanForce this year and look forward to what we can do together next year. [:D]

14. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    I say next year. :p j/k

But about my joking. I simply meant that it is slightly overdone to limit yourselves to Happy Holidays. I have nothing against other celebrations. Infact Christmas annoys me to death sometimes and i wish i could break away from the pressures of society and not celebrate it. :p haha.
    But I merely meant that I dont think people are "offended" when you say Merry Christmas and they dont celebrate it. It's the spirit in which you say it, it means you mean well for them and hope well of them. Same with saying Happy Hanikkah(and yes, i cant spell it :p) As far as I'm concerned we should say anything and everything!
    I was by no means calling them "minor" holidays. :p

Infact if you want to get TECHNICAL. For those who have not demoted christmas merely to an empty picture of santa clause and presents(I looked at it from that perspective last year and It was depressing to death how empty christmas felt, so I stopped. haha.) but anyways. The birth of Jesus wasn't really December 25th from an obvious stand point of "oh lets just pick this random day to celebrate it, that sounds good." but also there are some other things out there that point to the fact that winter wasn't the season. But anyways! So even to those who remember Jesus' birth(or at least ATTEMPT to do so, which in my oppinion gets harder by the season) CHRISTMAS really doesn't apply for THEM much either!

Want the TRUE spirit of christmas? We should sing carols about Saturnalius! Oh the Pagans! :p

15. Ayn

Mar 4, 2006
    Arrgh. That was awful guys. I was sure I had seriously annoyed one or more people and was going to let the whole idea drop. In my defense, I still havnt gotten the hang of posting and all this online communication stuff. The weekends of December 1st and 8th are kind of bad for me, I have an in game events going on in SWG (one of them is a Life Day festival sponsered by the Wookiee Cultural Center and my town Wooksylvania on the 9th for you guys that play). But I can work around that stuff, so let me know what works for you guys. We can meet in my building, but if we do this at a time when I have a lot of SWG commitments, it might be easier to meet at a restaurant. I could pick out somewhere nice downtown for us and bring a computer so we can still see some holiday special goodness. Ill also bring some Wookiee Ookies, cant have Life Day without them! What do you guys think of doing a small gift exchange? Maybe those of you that want to participate could PM me your name and a few small gift ideas (maybe in the action figure/paperback book price range)? Let me know if this is stuff you guys are interested in and what is good as far as dates.

16. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Ayn, one thing you have to learn about posting is that random discussions pop up from no where. You posted nothing wrong. And even if you did, the board always forgives and life goes on. I have posted so many stupid thing that I lost count. I was just giving Larena a hard time, and,..... well, Larena was just being Larena:p. I think everyone likes the idea of Life day.

I like early December. Blue and I will likely be out of town later in December. A restaruant would be fine. We can make it an actual "Life Day" event, or make it just an informal OFF meeting under the "Life Day" banner. Whatever. Ayn, could you do the weekend of the 1st or 8th if we did it at a restaruant?

17. grumpydevil

grumpydevil Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    Will robes be provided or do we bring our own?

I'd love to be a part of the celebration. :D

-Kyle

18. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    Just being Larena!? what's THAT supposed to mean?! :_|

19. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    You misunderstand my.....Being Larena is a GOOD thing. :D

20. Quick2

Quick2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2006
    Kyle bring your own robe.. and wear a Wookie mask ... Maybe Princess Leia will sing a Song... to the Tune of Star Wars of Course.
    hmmmm... Maybe we could use the Holiday Special to Torture the Terrorist.

21. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002

...thus denoting that somewhere amidst those DOTS a different idea/word was being formed in the mean while deciding to use DOTS as an EDIT. The "well" Concludes that a different route was decided to take.:-B

22. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    I've never been good at gramer. What do the DOTS mean again?O:)

23. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    haha, i'm terrible at grammar. 4 dots means a word or part of a passage was taken/edited out. Usually to get to the point quicker due to extended explainations or bunny trails the author included in the original work. Using it in your own works usually just means missing thoughts or skipping thoughts. 3 dots means a pause or break...also could be missing thoughts.
    Brackets do the opposite as the 4 dots. It inputs implied words or words needed to aid the reader who hasn't seen the rest of the text. One rule with that though is you cannot input words that weren't there to make your own point, haha. Like a guy who is pro-something. "Capitol Punishment/Abortion/Whatever should [not] be legal." haha, that's a no no. Correct usage would be "[Dr. Matt Lucas] is apposed to Capitol Punishment." When the original word would have been "he".

Haha, sorry. I remember learning this stuff freshman year by the greatest teacher in the world(Mr. Lucas:p)
    Usually good teachers teach you more than just English or Writing or Math. They teach you stuff that sticks with you forever. Even if it's something as simple as dots and brackets!

24. Ayn

Mar 4, 2006
    How does Sunday December 10th sound to everyone? I havnt chosen a location yet, but it will be in downtown Portland. Id like to get a show of hands from those wanting to attend so I can make reservations if necessary. Anyone interested in a small gift exchange?

25. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    That will work for us. There is a small chance that we will be out of town then, but I think we will not leave until the following week. So I think the 10th will work. Anyone else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.