main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Life, Death, and Fanon after the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterNicolas, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterNicolas

JediMasterNicolas Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2005
    OK, before I get to my point, I have to do some explaining. When I was 9 and got big into Star Wars, I began to make up my own stories and "fanon". It was silly at times, not making much sense. As I got older, I realized that these silly bits were silly, and so I retconed them to be more serious. Now, in my mid-teens, I still haven't given up on my "fanon" Star Wars universe, and I doubt I ever fully will. I know I'll be a 30 year old Star Wars geek (I'll have a life, but I'll still have Star Wars:D) and I'll still have some bit of that fanon. But as I grow and the EU continues farther from ROTJ, I find myself retconing my fanon to fit the new EU. Case in point, The Yuuzhan Vong War. I retconed that in, as well as many outcomes of that war. Chewbacca's death, Anakin's death, destruction of Ithor and Barab I. No problem, it works. But now, as the NJO ends, and we're moving forward, the EU will destroy major plot points (a war that takes pace), just because they don't happen when I have them dated.

So should I give up the fantasy I have fun dreaming up? Not at all. No as we enter the Dark Nest Trilogy, I find myself no longer retconing my universe to fit the true EU canon, instead I am retconing the EU to fit my own universe. Silly? Yes. Do I care? No.

Now, thats what I'm doing. What about you guys? I have heard people say they won't read past the NJO, giving the characters they've grown to love a happy ever after. I too have given these characters a happy ever after, but I like to go back and take minor characters and give them life and stories, happy ends or often not. But I'm off my world, onto other peoples. Another thing I've heard is people saying they will read past NJO, and just accept what happens as canon. Thats fine, I'm sure I'd do that if I weren't so immersed in my faon.

So what about you guys? Following any of these choices, or something different? Also, do you think I'm silly for adapting the true EU to fit my whims? If you believe so, tell me, you won't change my mind or make me feel stupid, but I want to hear you out.

P.S.- Lets see how long this thread will stay open before it get's closed down, seems to be common among my threads. Enjoy.

2. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    www.fanfiction.net

3. JediMasterNicolas

Jun 4, 2005
    This isn't about fanfaction, its about how some people have thier own personal fanon and how they conbine it with actual canon.

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    i don't think you're silly, JMN. I do the same thing.

Hmm, wanna guess what I consider to be infinites? Yeah, the NJO. It never happened to me. Tenel Ka eventually accepts the throne and marries Jacen. Circumstances call for a reduction of power for the Hapan throne and an institution of a constitutional monarchy, meaning that Tenel Ka doesn't have to stay there as much. They have at least one daughter, named Stalla.

Jaina and Zekk marry next and live out of the Lightning Rod. Then Anakin marries Tahiri and takes over after Luke retires. he dies surrounded by loved ones with his last words being. "Oh, that's a duck."

Ben then crashes on Tattooine and has to go to Tosche Station to pick up some power convertors

5. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"This isn't about fanfaction, its about how some people have thier own personal fanon and how they conbine it with actual canon."<<

Yeah, that IS pretty much fanfiction. Whether you write it down or not is elementary.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So long as you realize that your own personal views of canon have no bearing on what this forum accepts as canon for the purposes of discussion, I'll leave this open...

7. JediMasterNicolas

Jun 4, 2005
    Why would I expect my views on canon to bear on the rest of the people here? I never said that, that would be stupid. I just asked what people automatically take as canon, and what do they retcon to fit thier own special view of the Star Wars Universe.

Nowhere did I say that I expect people to take this is canon, thats absolutly insane.

8. JediMasterNicolas

Jun 4, 2005
    Hmm, wanna guess what I consider to be infinites? Yeah, the NJO. It never happened to me. Tenel Ka eventually accepts the throne and marries Jacen. Circumstances call for a reduction of power for the Hapan throne and an institution of a constitutional monarchy, meaning that Tenel Ka doesn't have to stay there as much. They have at least one daughter, named Stalla.

Jaina and Zekk marry next and live out of the Lightning Rod. Then Anakin marries Tahiri and takes over after Luke retires. he dies surrounded by loved ones with his last words being. "Oh, that's a duck."

Ben then crashes on Tattooine and has to go to Tosche Station to pick up some power convertors

You know it's funny, in Dark Nest, Jacen and Tenel Ka hook up (well its implied by all the staying the night talk, andafterward they say he is her new consort) as do Jaina and Zekk (well, possibly, they say they just "cuddled"). Also, they say someone will get pregnant (at least I heard this was said, on this board) and my bet's on Tenel Ka, so you may just have your Stalla.

Anyway, at least someone responded to the actual topic posted. Thanks for your comment RK.

9. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I just slap AU on my fanfic (or fanon, whatever) so I can do whatever without caring bout anything else. Do I consider the fic when I think bout contuity, no, its just fun

-The Scummy-

10. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    My fanfictions (well, except for the notorious "A Hrad Day") fit into canon the way I see it quite nicely, contradict nothing or very little, and are unlikely to ever be contradicted themselves.

11. JediMasterNicolas

Jun 4, 2005
    Holy bump batman!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.