main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Life is sooooo goood... Take off Dec 16th my friends

Discussion in 'Archive: Tulsa, OK' started by gw2tulsa, Aug 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gw2tulsa

gw2tulsa Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    Attention, Frodo fanatics: Better load up on the popcorn and soda and invest in a comfy cushion--because you're in for a sore butt.

Two weeks before The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King wraps things up on December 17, New Line Cinema plans to unleash in theaters special extended editions of the first two installments in director Peter Jackson's epic adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy trilogy.

Cinephiles who couldn't get enough of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring special edition DVD, which clocked in at 208 minutes and included scenes not in the theatrical version, will be able to see the epic on the big screen in all its glory starting on December 5 in about 100 movie houses in the U.S. and 20 in Canada.

A week later, on December 12, New Line will unspool the special 214-minute extended edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. That version is slated to premiere as a DVD first on November 18 (the DVD of last year's "official" theatrical release is due out on Tuesday).

But wait! There's more!

For those with serious Hobbit habits longing to venture into Middle Earth for more than a few hours, New Line plans to screen all three films back-to-back-to-back on December 16 in a daylong marathon that will carry over with The Return of the King's global release on December 17.

Per Daily Variety, New Line sent memos out to exhibitors across the country this week informing them of the reissue and suggesting various screening strategies to maximize promotion leading up to The Return of the King.

The goal, according to the studio, is not simply monetary, but it's intended to refresh moviegoers' memories of the good-vs.-evil saga that has been lording over the box office and critics' lists for the past two years.

"The release of the third film affords us a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to give audiences a compelling new theatrical experience of Peter Jackson (news)'s sprawling vision for this trilogy," Rolf Mittwg, New Line's head of worldwide distribution and marketing, told Variety.

The memo lays out guidelines for theaters calling for Fellowship to begin screening at 3 p.m. on December 16, Two Towers to follow at 7 p.m., and the first official showing of Return of the King kicking off at 11 p.m. and concluding early in the wee hours of the 17th.

The final installment is going to be the longest in the series, coming in at over three hours. Jackson promised fans in a recent USA Today interview that the climactic clash between Middle Earthlings and the fiendish Lord Sauron and his minions at Pelennor Fields will surpass Two Towers' Battle of Helm's Deep in breadth and scope.

Jackson says the most satisfying part of Return of the King will be the emotional climax, something he had to bring the entire cast back for additional shooting this spring and forced him to even rework some key scenes.

"Everybody feels we are paying off the story now," Jackson said. "The scenes tend to be more emotionally charged, which is why the actors enjoyed them and I enjoyed filming them. It absolutely has to be the best. We owe it to people."

New Line is banking on the Lord of Rings capper to build enough buzz to finally garner Jackson and his epic an Oscar. Despite a slew of nominations (Two Towers being the first sequel since The Godfather Part II to be nominated for Best Picture) and some wins in technical categories, the golden guy has proven elusive to the filmmaker. Many show-biz insiders believe the usually fantasy-averse Motion Picture Academy is waiting for the finale before anointing Jackson's work.

Regardless of whether Jackson stocks up his trophy case, his Rings cycle has put him in a league of his own.

The filmmaker recently sealed a deal with Universal Pictures for his next project, a massive retelling of King Kong that will see him earn $20 million up front as well as gross points on the back end, one of the most lucrative contracts ever for a director.

Advanced tickets for the rereleases are slated to go on sale in late September or early

2. Gytheran

Gytheran Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2002
    Too cool! I know where Kara and I will be on the 16th :)

3. FaceLoran

FaceLoran Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 1999
    What a great almost-birthday present to me! Thanks, PJ and New Line! :D :D (I turn 25 on Dec 19)

4. smeid

smeid Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2003
    EDIT:

Post removed. Please review the Terms of Service and refrain from throwing around insults on the boards here.

Thanks!
    Brian

5. pinata242

pinata242 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Not that I'd be going anyway, but thought I'd let you know about the local showings:

OK, Oklahoma City AMC Quail Springs 24
    OK, Tulsa Wallace Theatres Palace 12

I can't stand the promenande theater anyway, no way i'd be there for 12 hours. See the full list.

6. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    I don't mind the Promenade. I mean we pretty much go to the theater that has the time that is best for us.

7. banditajs

banditajs Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2002
    I know I will be there. It didn't really matter which theater it played at. I go to all of them.

8. Jacen_Solo81

Jacen_Solo81 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Does anyone know if you can buy tickets online?

9. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    I didn't think the Lord Emperor Supreme would need to buy tickets? ;)

10. Jacen_Solo81

May 18, 2002
    Let me ask you a question Kenzi. Do you like to RUE!?! BECAUSE ONE MORE OUTBURST LIKE THAT AND YOU WILL BE RUEING YOUR LITTLE HEART OUT! I AM THE LORD EMPEROR SUPREME WHO SAYS RUE!...RUE!

11. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    Well, according to the link I provided above, tickets will be available on Thursday the 9th of October. I'd try any of the normal online ticket buying venues. For example, Fandango already has the special Tuesday as it's own movie entry.

12. IMAXPoe

IMAXPoe Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2003
    Right now I can comfirm that the Wallace 12 is the only theatre in Tulsa playing it. I am not sure about the requirements or contracts and how that was decided but I know no Cinemark theatres in Tulsa will be playing the marathon showing. We are however going to have the Midnight show of ROTK.

13. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    I know that's where I'll be, Heath. :)

14. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    Speaking of which, any idea when Cinemark will start selling tickets to the midnight shows, Heath?

15. IMAXPoe

Feb 3, 2003
    Not sure. Should be in the next couple weeks but I am not sure. I will definately post as soon as I know!

16. IMAXPoe

Feb 3, 2003
    Okay, an update here on when tickets for Cinemarks midnight shows go on sale. As soon as we have a run time we will begin selling tickets so I will post the exact date when I have it.

17. Jacen_Solo81

May 18, 2002
    I was going to go see the trilogy but there is no way I'm going to spend $56.50 on two tickets to a movie! I will watch the extended versions at my house then go see a midnight showing of ROTK. What is everyone elses' plans?

18. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    Exactly the same. Got a date, Luke?

19. Jacen_Solo81

May 18, 2002
    Just me and my girl, but you bring yours along and we have a foursome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.