main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends ?Life on the Edge? [Han/Tahiri/Lowie - *COMPLETED!!*, 26th June!!]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thrawn McEwok, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    ?New Wookiee, Solo??

He doesn?t answer immediately. Instead, he takes a sip of his drink and lays the glass properly back down on the table.

Only then does he look up ? raising his head slowly, fixing the speaker with a cold, long stare. A Twi?lek woman, thin as a whip, with cold amber eyes above vicious razor cheekbones. There?s something about the way she carries herself that suggests she could have a shiv in you as quick as blink.

Two bodyguards stand sentinel behind her - big, ugly brutes. Han wouldn't lay money on either of them being human.

He looks back at the Twi?lek, and narrows his eyes, as though trying to place a forgotten face. In reality, he?s marking the way the years have changed her. Her eyes used to be capable of softening just slightly, the edge of her mouth could sometimes quirk in dry amusement.

All in all though, she?s looking good.

?Shiya?kaa,? he says, with an exaggerated gesture of casual surprise. ?Good to see you again. I heard you were still in business.?

?I hear you got a new Wookiee,? she replies, cutting back to what she wants to talk about ? jerking her head to where Lowie is leaning against the bar.

?Yeah, what's it to you?? he answers - then jabs a finger at his own chest. ?It's still me. And it's me you want, right??

She grins like a knife, and lets out a chuckle that probably sounds even more fake than she means it to. ?What makes me think I'd want an old man, Solo??

?Becuase I'm the best,? he answers. ?Still the best. Because you don't do small-talk, and you're not stupid.?

She pauses, and looks at him long and hard. Han juts his jaw, and looks back at her.

?Well, well,? she says eventually, sitting down on the opposite side of the booth. She draws herself up a little ? making herself look comfortable; making him look at her. Then she shakes her head, and her expression becomes a knowing look that you could almost think was sympathetic. ?Han Solo, back in business after all these years.?

?I never left,? Han drawls. This part is easy. ?You just didn't even hear about the cargos I was running.?

She doesn't look convinced. But she's curious. She hadn't thought of that. She leans forward, rests her chin on her folded knuckles, and smiles her best smile at him.

Han grins, and shrugs, and takes another quick sip of whiskey. Her plan for this conversation just got derailed, and she needs a while to come up with a new one.

He waits.

?Someone told you I was looking for runners?? she asks eventually, drawing back and deciding to open up and draw him in. Han grins appreciatively. ?I guess they also told you what sort of merchandise I?m running, too.?

?They said a few things,? Han shrugs, with a glance across to Lowie, making it clear he?s part of this. ?I'm the captain of the Falcon, and he's just a kid who tags along because he thinks I?m better than I am. I can talk him round, or he can find his own way home.?

Shiya?s eyes widen at that. She looks as though she believes him.

?What does your wife have to say about that?? she asks. ?I hear she's a Jedi now.?

?Ex-wife,? Han corrects, glossing the words with a shrug. ?I think she was trying to hurt me.?

Shiya sits up at the way he?s looking at her now, looking back at him - scouring his face for any sign that he's lying. Wondering if he really means what she suspects.

Han just gives her his best grin.

?Well, that's good,? she grins eventually, nodding her guards in closer. ?Because it makes me feel less bad about what I'm about to do. I always hate it when there?s collateral involved.?

Over at the bar, Lowie shifts uneasily ? but suddenly there are two more thugs on either side of him. Trandoshans. A blaster nuzzled into his back and a vibroblade against his belly.

Han?s spine stiffens, like he?s been shocked.

?Hey! Hey!? he says, holding up his hands in protest. He glances from Shiya to her guards, and back again ? outrage and accusation in his eyes. ?At least tell a guy why he's being vaped, if that's what you're doing here

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm, interesting. Been too long since I read one of your fics, Thrawn. Han, Tahiri and Lowie? Interesting-in a good way. Like the dynamics, there. Where's Leia?

Like the NR as the biggest con game of them all. Back at Mos Eisley? Ah... *Shrugs* Just a bit... almost cliched, you know? Why not Ord Mantel, or Dexter's Diner? ;)

Still, nice writing as always.

3. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    [face_laugh] :eek: o_O :cool: :p 8-}

*comes back when she gets rid of this insane grin in her face*

Mags

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    *blinks*

Did I misread, or did that imply Han/Tahiri??

5. emeraldshadow

emeraldshadow Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2005
    o_O*wishes the "eyebrow raised" smiley didn't look so angry* Okay, you've got me interested. When can we get more of this?:D

6. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I loved the teasers you showed me for this, and I like the whole thing even better. :D :D Honestly, one of the best cantina scenes I've read, and you know I approve of the characters involved. ;) Great echoes of ANH, and wondeful characterization.

And I'm dying to know how Anakin, or rather his memory, figures into the Han/Tahiri dynamic. o_O

Superb start, my friend. =D=

JD.

7. the-Admiral

the-Admiral Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2003
    Sweet !

Nice thing you started ... hmmm So Solo left Leia and became a scoundrel again ... =D=

Finally somebody who isn't afraid of breaking up the "holy couple" O:)

Well done

the Admiral

8. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    I think that our esteemed author did indeed write Han/Tahiri implications, but he left it at implications so that he can tell us that we can read into it whatever we want, and then leave us with a mischievous emoticon. It's his trademark move.

I like it, though. Another off-the-beaten-path winner of a 'fic.

9. Stormtrooper_TK-421

Stormtrooper_TK-421 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    wowie, McEwok, this is perhaps a strech past your Luke/Ta'a Chume fic. Ok, well, no, but this is certainly something that was completely unexpected! :eek: you pulled this off well, though, it just seemed to work, just seemed to make sense... [face_thinking] in an odd way of course, but nonetheless, it made sense :p

if this is going to be a full-fleged fic, it's an awesome start, and I'd love to be added to a PM list when you post more stuff on here [face_peace] awesome job McEwok, I love when you do the 3rd person present POV when you write your stories. most excellent indeed :cool:

---TK

10. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Striker: Hmm, interesting. Been too long since I read one of your fics, Thrawn. Han, Tahiri and Lowie? Interesting-in a good way. Like the dynamics, there.

:D Thank you! :cool:

Where's Leia?

On Ossus with Saba? Divorced?

Like the NR as the biggest con game of them all.

Heh. Really?

Back at Mos Eisley? Ah... *Shrugs* Just a bit... almost cliched, you know? Why not Ord Mantel, or Dexter's Diner? ;)

Why? Well, for one thing, it's home for Tahiri (although a last-minute juggling of the sequence as they left the cantina has flubbed that slightly); for another, it underlines the sense of repetition much better. The Mos Eisley cantina is the palce most people think of when they think of Han's old haunts - instant recognition!

Mags: [face_laugh] :eek: o_O :cool: :p 8-}

o_O [face_mischief] ;) :D

*comes back when she gets rid of this insane grin in her face*

Still grinning? :cool:

Spike2002: Did I misread, or did that imply Han/Tahiri??

[face_whistling] What does the title header say? [face_mischief]

emeraldshadow: o_O *wishes the "eyebrow raised" smiley didn't look so angry* Okay, you've got me interested. When can we get more of this? :D

[face_blush] Thanks - but I'm afraid it's just a one-shot, this one... the rest I leave to your imagination... [face_mischief]

JD: I loved the teasers you showed me for this, and I like the whole thing even better. :D :D Honestly, one of the best cantina scenes I've read, and you know I approve of the characters involved. ;) Great echoes of ANH, and wondeful characterization.

[face_blush] Thank you! :cool:

And I'm dying to know how Anakin, or rather his memory, figures into the Han/Tahiri dynamic. o_O

Hrm. Now you've given me an idea for another scene!! :eek:

the-Admiral: Sweet !

:D Thanks!

Nice thing you started ... hmmm So Solo left Leia and became a scoundrel again ... =D=

Finally somebody who isn't afraid of breaking up the "holy couple" O:)

Well, it's definately inspired by a couple of things you did in Oracle... [face_whistling] :D :cool:

TCR: I think that our esteemed author did indeed write Han/Tahiri implications, but he left it at implications so that he can tell us that we can read into it whatever we want, and then leave us with a mischievous emoticon. It's his trademark move.

Actually, in this one, I wrote it from the POV that there was some sort of Han/Tahiri thing going on - they're definately partners, and there's that huge Wookiee-hug she gives him in The Joiner King...

However, I didn't want to define exactly what the parameters of their relationship were, because I don't think the characters have found them yet... the fact that you can interpret it in several ways is just a bonus: though I definately did intend to allow the reader's imagination to explore where the story might go from there...

I like it, though. Another off-the-beaten-path winner of a 'fic.

Thank you! :D Any more where "Nenny" came from? :cool: o_O [face_mischief]

TK: wowie, McEwok, this is perhaps a strech past your Luke/Ta'a Chume fic. Ok, well, no, but this is certainly something that was completely unexpected! :eek: you pulled this off well, though, it just seemed to work, just seemed to make sense... [face_thinking] in an odd way of course, but nonetheless, it made sense :p

[face_laugh] *bows*

It does, doesn't it? o_O

if this is going to be a full-fleged fic, it's an awesome start, and I'd love to be added to a PM list when you post more stuff on here [face_peace]

As I said above, there's no plans to continue it - at least, not at present; if I do, though, I'll let you know! :D

awesome job McEwok, I love when you do the 3rd person present POV when you write your stories. most excellent indeed :cool:

:D Thanks! It's something that I have a tendancy to fall into in short stuff, with no conscious decision, and sometimes I wonder if I should change it - almost did on this 'fic, just before posti

11. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Hey - I like this one, Thrawn - especially the Tahiri action. Superb, comme d'habitude. :) And Han the scoundrel is written to perfection. :)

12. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Tahi: Hey - I like this one, Thrawn - especially the Tahiri action. Superb, comme d'habitude. :) And Han the scoundrel is written to perfection. :)

:cool: Merci bien! :D So you like Han and Tahiri in these situations together, do you...? o_O :p [face_whistling]

- The Imperial Ewok

13. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    [Aw, heck... all those replies produced a bunny, too... :D]

?Anakin,? Tahiri said.

It was barely a whisper - hardly more than a breath; but Han stiffened sharply at his son's name, and slipped the grip of his bare arm tighter around her belly - staring past her into the darkness.

What am I doing here? he asked himself, blinking once. What the heck is she doing here?

?It's okay, Han,? she said, her hand drifting back beneath the sheets. ?I was just thinking.?

?I know,? he sighed, watching the golden hair behind her ear dance at the brush of his breath. ?You're beautiful.?

She murmured something grateful in reply, her warm body stretching against him for a moment, her forearm rubbing softly across the back of his wrist.

For a moment, they both smiled.

The bunk in the Falcon's forward hold had always been his refuge. Recessed in the bow-end bulkhead, up behind the couch and the dejarik table.

He slept here most nights now. And she joined him, for warmth and company.

Is that so wrong?

It was warm in the bunk together, comfortable ? but there was a place inside her that the warmth couldn?t reach ? a cold, deep ache, like an old wound.

Somehow, he knew that she was staring at something far away, beyond infinity, and he felt a twist in his chest, his gaze tracking wiith hers, across the empy deck.

?I miss him too,? he agreed, gently placing a soft kiss behind her ear.

She rolled around in his arms, and looked at him.

?He wouldn't mind, you know,? she said, her eyes gazing into his ? no longer the chlorine-ice eyes of the woman who had cut down Shiya's best enforcers in the cantina twelve hours earlier.

Han cleared his throat, and as he did, he saw her close her eyes and part her lips, and reach up to him.

The kiss was slow, tender ? and, for Han Solo, it was a moment of wide-eyed amazement.

A revelation.

?Thank you,? she whispered, not meeting his eyes after they had pulled away. ?Thank you, Han.?

?Hey,? he whispered. ?Thank you. That, um. Wow.?

She laughed, then sighed, and rolled around again, staring out into the dark once more.

For the length of several breaths, they were silent.

?Just hold me,? she asked him ? and, until the dawn, he did.

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Aaw, that was so sweet! *Bookmarks fic* Okay, I am gonna try to keep up with this one. You don't do PMs, I suppose?

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Awww. The quiet moments... :D

Just what happened to Leia, though? Did Han dump her for Tahiri? :p

16. Stormtrooper_TK-421

Stormtrooper_TK-421 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    All right, if you ever wanted to have this be a one-shot...you just lost your chance, McEwok ;) Now I gotta know what happened, how Han and Leia broke up, how Tahiri and Han got together...too many questions! [face_thinking]

That was a nicely written little work there, Ewok. As Spike said, sometimes it's just those quiet moments. :) Thanks for the PM, and if you update any more, keep me on the PM list [face_peace]

---TK

17. Elena

Elena Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    Like Mags, I was grinning at the end of this too - but there's a sad undertone.

Liked Han, like the three Exiles, even liked the Twi'lek chick. But it doesn't change the fact that when you really look at the SW universe, nothing ever changes. In some cases, it regresses, like technology between the KotOR era and the OT.

And Han's an allegory for that, the span of a cycle in one lifetime. He rose up and fell once again, and sooner or later, the cycle will start again.

In some ways, I didn't want to believe it, didn't what to believe that Han could do that - because Han, whoever he was, is a good person. But then I realized it doesn't matter anymore, because nobody cares.

In one light, Star Wars is a place of infinite hope, a place where good triumphs over evil and your actions matter.

In the other light, though, it's revealed to be harsh and unkind, a universe where no matter what people do, they succumb to their inner darkness.

Like a war hero who returns to his roots, and Jedi who fall...

*depressed*

*thinks about that*

*rushes off to write Jag/Alema*

Elena

18. Half-Pint

Half-Pint Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    Uhhh.... out of curiosity, just what is the age difference? Isn't that kind of like the equivalent of Han sleeping with his own daughter? Kind of unbelievable if you ask me, but heck, I love a controversial fic now and then. Excellent writing!

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Interesting twist on things here. Although, it was good to see Han back to his roots. It's also an interesting dynamic to see Han and Tahiri together. Wonder what happened to Leia, though.

Oh well, you have me along for the ride! :)

20. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    You already know I like this. ;) :D

Handled differently, the H/T dynamic could have been a disaster; an insult to A/T fans. This, however, is handled to perfection. =D= I keep looking for the right words to use here, but I keep drawing a blank. In the end, the scene just feels right. It's utterly human, and, for reasons I can't quite articulate, a perfectly acceptable substitute for A/T.

Well done, my friend. :)

JD.

21. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Nice contrasting mood in this post - and there's the familiar lacuna left by Anakin.

I'm wondering if this can be read as another case - like DP - of what happens when the natural order (of Anakin being with Tahiri) is disrupted?

Beautifully written. Encore, encore. :)

22. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Striker: Aaw, that was so sweet! *Bookmarks fic* Okay, I am gonna try to keep up with this one. You don't do PMs, I suppose?

[face_blush] :) Thanks! And yes, I have started doing PMs on request these days - if a reader really wants notified, I should try to, shouldn't I? [face_thinking]

Spike2002: Awww. The quiet moments... :D

Och! :p

Just what happened to Leia, though? Did Han dump her for Tahiri? :p

Nope; the only "third party" named in the breakup of Han and Leia's marriage was Saba! [face_mischief]

Leia became a Jedi. *shrugs* Basically, Leia felt obliged to do things the Jedi way - and Han, being Han, disagreed with all his angry passion...

TK: All right, if you ever wanted to have this be a one-shot...you just lost your chance, McEwok ;)

Yep - because there are two posts now! :p

Now I gotta know what happened, how Han and Leia broke up, how Tahiri and Han got together...too many questions! [face_thinking]

That was a nicely written little work there, Ewok. As Spike said, sometimes it's just those quiet moments. :) Thanks for the PM, and if you update any more, keep me on the PM list [face_peace]

Thanks! :D The Han/Leia breakup I covered in my reply to Spike, and as to Han/Tahiri, they're only really "getting together" now - but the simple answer is, Han needed a crew, and decided to do his recruiting on Dagobah... :D :cool:

*this board really needs a "savage grin" icon! :p

Elena: Like Mags, I was grinning at the end of this too - but there's a sad undertone.

Liked Han, like the three Exiles, even liked the Twi'lek chick. But it doesn't change the fact that when you really look at the SW universe, nothing ever changes. In some cases, it regresses, like technology between the KotOR era and the OT.

And Han's an allegory for that, the span of a cycle in one lifetime. He rose up and fell once again, and sooner or later, the cycle will start again.

In some ways, I didn't want to believe it, didn't what to believe that Han could do that - because Han, whoever he was, is a good person. But then I realized it doesn't matter anymore, because nobody cares.

In one light, Star Wars is a place of infinite hope, a place where good triumphs over evil and your actions matter.

In the other light, though, it's revealed to be harsh and unkind, a universe where no matter what people do, they succumb to their inner darkness.

Like a war hero who returns to his roots, and Jedi who fall...

*depressed*

*thinks about that*

*rushes off to write Jag/Alema*

:D I look forward to seeing the result? :cool:

You caught the paradox perfectly - always a pleasure when you find the words that elude me. :) But... think of it as something like heartbeat? A pulse? :D

Half-Pint: Uhhh.... out of curiosity, just what is the age difference? Isn't that kind of like the equivalent of Han sleeping with his own daughter? Kind of unbelievable if you ask me, but heck, I love a controversial fic now and then. Excellent writing!

The age difference is around about forty years (Han's eldest, illegitimate daughter, who hovers just on the edge of canon, is easily old enough to be Tahiri's mother herself)... and there's also very much the fact that Tahiri sees something of Anakin in Han. But they're both mature adults, both know what they're doing; they're both aware of the issues - and also of the practicalities, the imponderables, and the infinite potential.

If there's anything controversial or unrealistic in this, it's that I'm suggesting two grown-ups can make life-affirming mistakes together in private... :p

HanSolo29: Interesting twist on things here. Although, it was good to see Han back to his roots. It's also an interesting dynamic to see Han and Tahiri together. Wonder what happened to Leia, though.

Oh well, you have me along for the ride! :)

Thanks! I think I answered all your questions already - but let me know if you have any more! ;)

JDH3: You already know I like this. ;) :D

[face_laugh] You wou

23. emeraldshadow

emeraldshadow Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2005
    I can?t believe I missed this yesterday!

This fic really appeals to me for some reason -- which is kind of scary when you think about it:p . Some twisted part of my soul likes the idea of Han going back to his smuggler roots, recruiting the Dagobah Three as his crew, and falling for Tahiri. Plus, it helps that you write it so well. I?ll be eagerly awaiting more of this.

Elena said: *rushes off to write Jag/Alema*

Noo! I wanted to have the first Jag/Alema story on the boards! *pouts*

Oh well, such is life. I look forward to reading it. :D

Thrawn Mcewok said: Han's eldest, illegitimate daughter, who hovers just on the edge of canon

This may be a sign of how much of a newbie I still am, but I have to say it?What?

24. Arkady

Arkady Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2004
    This is really different, but I like it. I haven't read much of the EU stuff so I'm not really familiar with Tahiri. But it's very well written and I think I can follow along. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Arkady

25. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    emeraldshadow: This fic really appeals to me for some reason -- which is kind of scary when you think about it :p . Some twisted part of my soul likes the idea of Han going back to his smuggler roots, recruiting the Dagobah Three as his crew, and falling for Tahiri. Plus, it helps that you write it so well. I?ll be eagerly awaiting more of this.

[face_blush] Why is it necessarily "twisted"? :p

Noo! I wanted to have the first Jag/Alema story on the boards! *pouts*

Oh well, such is life. I look forward to reading it. :D

Me too!

*Ewok folds arms across chest and waits expectantly* :cool:

This may be a sign of how much of a newbie I still am, but I have to say it?What?

It's an obscure reference I enjoy popularizing - see here... ;)

Arkady: This is really different, but I like it. I haven't read much of the EU stuff so I'm not really familiar with Tahiri. But it's very well written and I think I can follow along. I'm looking forward to reading more.

:D Thanks! It's always good to get good feedback from people who're approaching the 'fic from a fresh perspective! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.