Beyond Life Sucks and Then You Live On (AU Luke, Mara, Callista: COMPLETED! 1 March, Chapter 7)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, Feb 21, 2012.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Okay, I was in a really foul mood last night and mad at just about everybody in the household...sthis is not my usual fare. Just a warning.

Because of the truncation problem at this site I invite you to read this story over at FFN. You can find the link in my signature.

~JL~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mara?s eyes flew open as she frantically took in her strange surroundings. Her hand came up to her temple and she cringed at her pounding headache. She had a horrible hangover, but that didn?t prevent her from remembering what happened last night. Her stomach sank at the realization of what she did. She slowly rolled over to gaze at her sleeping companion?Luke Skywalker.

Damn her impulsiveness. She wished she could blame it on the booze, but she couldn?t?although she was sure the alcohol helped to lower her guard enough for him to find his way through.

She closed her eyes and recalled how it all started. She had stopped by one of her favorite taverns. She had one day on Coruscant during her current shipping run and decided to stop in for ale. She was shocked to find Luke in a corner booth obviously trying to drown away some unknown sorrow. She had never seen him so distraught and disheveled. Morbid curiosity pulled her to him. What could have possibly happened to make the usually sober Jedi Master hole himself in a dark corner and decide to get plastered?

When she slid in the booth with him he was able to muster a weak smile. The next hour consisted of him lamenting over the loss of his one true love?Callista. The former Old Republic Jedi who once swore her love for Luke left in the middle of the night, just leaving him a goodbye note. She stayed with him drinking and talking. Eventually the bar closed and they moved their party back to his apartment. From there Luke?s rant went from ?I love her? to ?I hope she never comes back.?

He was so vulnerable. She couldn?t bear to see him like that. Before she knew it, she kissed him?and now she woke up naked in his bed. Frack! She totally screwed up this friendship. You don?t go to friends to lovers unless you want a relationship?and she didn?t want that?not now.

She slipped out of bed as quietly as possible, collected her clothing and went to the living room to dress. Skywalker was so drunk there was a chance that he wouldn?t remember what happened. Hopefully he would think it was just a drunken erotic dream. She checked around to make sure she had everything before she silently left the apartment.

~~Wild Karrde~~ Outer Rim: One month later.

?There?s another Hypercom communication to you from Skywalker.? Talon said to his second-in-command. He sat down next to Mara in the ship galley. ?He?s sent you a message at least twice a week for the last month. You haven?t even bothered opening them.?

Mara sighed and looked away hoping Karrde would take the hint, but he didn?t. ?Mara, you need to talk to him. At least view the messages.?

She closed her eyes in frustration. ?If I read the messages will you leave me alone??

Karrde moved out of his seat and gave her a sincere look of concern. ?That?s all I ask.?

Mara abruptly stood and practically stalked to the communication center. She decided to start from the first message and move through to the last.

The first message was of a nervous looking Skywalker. He probably woke up that morning and immediately jumped out of bed and sent her a message. ?Mara please contact me. I?ll try calling you later.?

The next six messages were similar with a distressed blond haired Jedi begging for Mara to respond. She noticed there was about a week gap from the seventh message until the last. She pushed the button to view his last message. Skywalker still looked troubled, but also anxious. ?Mara, I was hoping to talk to you personally, but I guess this will have to do.? The Jedi looked down and paused. Finally he looked back up to the camera lens. ?Mara, Callie came back last week and we eloped.? A faint smile graced his lips. ?She came back when she realized she was pregnant with my baby.? There was another pause. ?I hope we can still be friends?after what happened
    Last edited by Jedi_Lover, May 30, 2014
  2. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    I told you how this needed to end. I have no comment beyond that.
  3. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
  4. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Girl, and people are boycotting ME for my angst!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_devil]

Poor Luke. He should have realized that something was up when that body snatcher came crawling back. And I feel so badly for Luke, but also for Darik who Mara is not allowing to know his father. I mean, Karrde's a wonderful man, but... (And hot, but I get the heebie jeebies thinking of him with Mara).

Very sad story!! Thank goodness it didn't happen this way!!

5. mara_jade_rox Jedi Master

star 2
    I really enjoyed this, which I know makes me sound all crazy, but it sounds like this Luke kinda had it coming.

Great job!

(ps: it's good to branch out, but I really hope you find inspiration to write happy again)

MJR
  6. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    The way I felt yesterday, Luke should be happy I didn't drop a moon on him. Do you think Mara would tell Luke knowing he just got married and had a baby on the way? I think this was the Forces way of punishing him for bootknocking with the undead bodysnatcher. Personally, I think Darik will have a much more normal life with smugglers than Jedi.
  7. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm sorry you had a bad day!! [:D]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/ginchy/masterskywalker2.jpg]

Don't you love me anymore, Jedi_Lover? Come on, I'm too hot to be a widower and too hot to have a moon dropped on me!!! /Luke

But I do agree that the Jedi need to let their kids be kids before they become little soldiers.
  8. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Gods, I hate it when he gives me those big blue puppy dog eyes. You know, when I was driving to work I thought of a way to totally fix this situation, or making it at least better, but it would have to be a two shot fic then.
  9. taramidala Force Ghost

star 4
    Luke totally deserved what he got! Silly boy, taking Callista back! [face_shame_on_you]
  10. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow! Now that was unexpected... But I liked it; the idea itself is scary, but it was very well-written and interesting. I hope you feel better now, though. :)
  11. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm glad you had a bad day 'cos I loved this! [face_devil] But I hope you got it out [:D] - it reads like you did ;)

Anyway - I don't think it ends here. My head's already busy working out a sequel LOL - Still, I think this was one of the best Mara-getting-pergnant-and -doesn't-tell-Luke setups I've ever read! [:D]
  12. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Thanks everybody for reading.

Some of my friends are a little upset at me putting my poor farmboy through angst because I was having a bad day. So I'm going to try to fix this. It is probably going to take at least three posts. But here is the second post. My way to RETCON it back to a halfway decent ending for Luke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mara closed her eyes and lowered her head dejected when the boarding ramp of the Wild Karrde sealed shutting Luke outside and away from her and their son. Talon Karrde came up behind her with Darik in his arms.

?Mara, maybe we should talk about this.? He set Darik on the deck. ?Go on and play.? The little boy gave a big smile and then ran off. ?Mara , I know it?s your decision to make, but I?m part of this situation now and I really should know what?s going on.?

She ran a hand over her face wiping away the tears. She didn?t realize how hard it would be to turn Luke away. She looked over to Karrde. ?Okay, let?s talk. Do you want to go to my cabin or yours??

?Yours is fine,? Talon remarked.

They turned and walked down to Mara?s cabin which was adorned by dozens of holos of Darik. Many of the holos included her or Talon and sometimes Darik?s ?uncles? Chin or Aves.

Talon went and sat down at the edge of her bunk. ?What did you tell him??

Mara took a seat next to him. ?I told him not to interfere. I said we were married and Darik thought you were his father.?

A grin covered Talon?s bearded face and his eyes shone with amusement. ?We?re married? I?m honored?but I?m afraid I missed the honeymoon somehow.? His eyes narrowed. ?Did you get me drunk and drag me to one of those 24 hour chapels??

She playfully slapped him across the chest. ?Knock it off. I made up a story that we were married in Corellia.?

Talon nodded his head in understanding. ?I get it. You?re using the strict paternity laws of the planet to keep him from trying to get joint custody. What if he finds out you lied to him and that we?re not married.?

She gave him a narrow gaze. ?Then I just might have to marry your sorry behind.?

Talon chuckled. ?Can I at least have a real honeymoon then??

Mara rolled her eyes. ?What would your girlfriend think about that??

Karrde laughed. ?I?ll invite her along.? He grinned mischievously. ?After all, I am way too much man for any one woman.?

Mara made a choking sound. ?Force you are insufferable.?

Karrde laughed but then turned serious. ?Why don?t you want Luke around his son? Luke?s a good man.?

Mara shook her head. ?It?s not him?it?s Callista. I don?t trust her and I am sure if she knew Luke fathered a child with me, she would do something to make my life miserable?like talking Luke into fighting for custody.?

?Joint custody may not be too bad for Darik.?

Mara glared at Talon. ?You are totally oblivious to our situation aren?t you? We are smugglers and Luke?s a Jedi Master. A court won?t see the loving environment we have forged on the Wild Karrde for Darik. They?ll only see a bunch of hardened smugglers and the Former Emperor?s Hand raising the child of their most cherished war hero. I wouldn?t be surprised if my parental rights were terminated outright and the judge gave full custody to Skywalker. And then my son will be raised by?that bodysnatching nutjob.?

Talon ran a hand through his beard in thought. ?You may be right.? He stood up and moved towards the door. ?I?ll abide by any decision you make.?

?Thank you.? Mara said as she watched her friend leave her cabin.
    ~Two Months Later~ Taris

?Mara, can I talk to you?? Talon asked as he crossed paths with his second-in-command in the corridor of the ship.

?Sure.?

Karrde pointed to his cabin. ?Privately.?

A concerned look crossed her face, but she nodded and followed Talon into his quarters. ?What?s wrong??

Talon sighed. ?Mara I got a private message from Han Solo. He requested our help.?

Mara shrugged. ?Does he want us to bring him spare parts for that antique ship he flies??

Karrde rubbed the back of his neck n
  13. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    ?It?s going to be alright Luke,? Mara whispered to him. ?I promise you that. There will be a happy ending to this story.?

There better be a happy ending!

I want more!
  14. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
  15. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    Yay for Retcon!!! [face_dancing]

my cabin or yours
    Yes! I just knew that marriage wasn't as palpable as she wanted to give the impression of. ;)

?Can I at least have a real honeymoon then??
    [face_laugh]

Mara rolled her eyes. ?What would your girlfriend think about that??

Karrde laughed. ?I?ll invite her along.? He grinned mischievously. ?After all, I am way too much man for any one woman.
    ?
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

We are smugglers and Luke?s a Jedi Master. A court won?t see the loving environment we have forged on the Wild Karrde for Darik. They?ll only see a bunch of hardened smugglers and the Former Emperor?s Hand raising the child of their most cherished war hero. I wouldn?t be surprised if my parental rights were terminated outright and the judge gave full custody to Skywalker. And then my son will be raised by?that bodysnatching nutjob.?
    Woops... smart woman, her Mara...[face_worried]

Callista left him shortly after we saw him on Coruscant. Solo thinks Callista believed Luke would dump her over the paternity issue and she didn?t want the responsibility of raising a son?so she left, leaving Luke to raise Ben alone. He hasn?t seen her in almost two months.?
    You really know how to write a bicce!!!

You can?t have your conscious trapped in a computer system for thirty years without going insane.?
    Now that's a point if there ever was one! [face_laugh]

?Maybe he knew how to turn her on.?

Mara smirked ?Or it could be she was just really user-friendly.?

?Maybe she liked how he booted her up
    .?
    *falls off chair laughing*

?I?m not going to save Skywalker?s miserable butt?look what it got me the last time I tried that.?

Karrde cocked his head to the side and gave her a stern look. ?What it got you? It got you a son. And I don?t think you regret that.? He stood and put his hand on her shoulder. ?Mara, no matter what your feelings are for the man, he saved your life, he saved mine and he is the father of your child. Don?t you think his butt is worth saving??

She snorted, but then smiled. ?It is a cute butt.?

Karrde turned away. ?That?s too much information, Jade
    .?
    Heh - and you're supposed to be an information broker, Karrde

The apartment was dark and smelled like food left out in the trash can too long. Mara turned on the lights and walked over to the windows, pulling open the curtains and cracked the windows open to allow some fresh air in.
    Hmmm - at second thought, I'm not sure Luke in this story is worth rescuing o_O First he puts up with Callista, then he gets second thoughts when he learns Ben's not his bilological son and now he loses grip again!
    :p Maybe Mara should just hurry off with Darrick. ;)

On third thought - no. He'll straighten up - it's our Farmboy after all.[face_mischief]

Looking forward to what you'll bring us next!!! [:D]
  16. Jedi_QueenBee Jedi Master

star 3
    Hmmmm.... Interesting ;) Wonder what Luke will do when he sees Darik again.... I NEED ANOTHER POST !!!!!!
  17. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, how did I miss this second update?? I like that it seems to be going in a happier direction for my Farmboy. [face_love] And Mara still thinks his butt is cute. This is PROGRESS.
  18. LVB Force Ghost

star 1
    I was enjoying this story as angst and I'm enjoying it as retcon too! Sometimes we all need to drop a moon on our most beloved characters. :)
  19. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oooh, I am so liking this! The conversation about the computer technician was great, by the way. :D
    Can't wait to see more!
  20. the-Naboo-council Jedi Knight

21. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Thanks everybody for reading. It always seems like when I write an evil viggie I end up writing more to fix the horrible angst I created.

~JL~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Wild Karrde~

The shuttle ride up to the Wild Karrde was fairly quiet. Luke had a million questions to ask Mara, but he didn?t want to talk in front of his son Ben.

He ran through some Jedi relaxation techniques to try to unwind. The last couple months were more stressful than anything he experienced in his lifetime. Facing Emperor Palpatine was easy compared to telling a six-year-old boy that mommy left home and his parents were getting a divorce.

The affair and breakup hit Luke worse than if Callista had died. With infidelity there is the death of trust, love, marriage and family. Luke was left to face the fact that the person he trusted with all his heart had deliberately smashed his dreams beyond repair. She planned it, hid it, and then tried to make Luke think he was crazy when he questioned those strange late night comlink calls. The thought that his wife could look him the eye and tell him lie after lie was beyond comprehension. Did he ever really know Callista? Was anything she said the truth? Is this affair the first or only the first discovered out of many? Luke rubbed his temples trying to ward off a headache. He had to stop wallowing in his pain. He couldn?t let his ineffable sense of loss and loneliness to emotionally and spiritually paralyze him. He had a son to take care of?Ben needed him.

The shuttle docked with the Wild Karrde and Luke and Ben debarked first. The ship?s pilot, Chin, who was accompanied by Darik, met them on the other side of the docking ring. When the two boys saw each other their faces lit up in excitement.

Mara exited the shuttle and moved to stand next to her son. ?Darik, this is Ben. He?s the son of Mommy?s friend Luke Skywalker.? She motioned to Luke.

?Do you want to go play?? Darik asked Ben excitedly.

The little boy turned back to Luke. ?Can I Dad??

Luke nodded. ?Sure, but stay out of trouble.?

Karrde walked up to the boys. ?I?ll bring them to the cargo bay, Luke. We have balls and other toys for them to play with.?

?Just don?t let them hurt Sturm.? Mara cautioned Karrke. ?Darik?s too big to try to ride your vornskr like a dewback.?

?I?ll make sure they don?t terrorize Sturm too much,? Karrde said with a grin as he ushered the two boys down the hall. Chin excused himself and went back to the ship?s flight deck leaving Luke and Mara alone.

They stood looking at each other in uncomfortable silence. Mara eventually turned and motioned for Luke to follow. ?Let?s go to my cabin and I?ll tell you whatever you want to know.?

When they reached her quarters she opened door and allowed Luke to enter first. She followed, closed the door behind her, and then sat down on her bunk as Luke took a nearby chair.

She crossed her arms defensively. ?Go ahead, unload if you want.?

His head drooped. ?No, I can understand?I think. You find out you?re pregnant and then discover I?m married. You don?t want to throw a wrench into my happiness, so you keep quiet.?

She gave a forlorn little nod.

He looked up to her questioningly. ?But what I do want to know is why you left after our night together.?

The color deepened in her cheeks and there was a tenseness of her posture. ?Luke, we were drunk and lost control. It was a mistake and I was embarrassed by my behavior. We?re not teenagers. We should have had some self-control.? She looked into his blue eyes. ?Luke I was hoping if I put some time and distance between us you would forget about what happened and we could go back to the way we were.?

Luke laughed derisively. ?Mara, I wasn?t that drunk; I don?t think I will ever forget that night. It was special.?

She gave him a steady look. ?Then why did you marry Callista??

His face distorted in pain. ?You know why, Jade.?

?You were doing the honorable thing??

?That was part of the reason. I still loved her, even after she hurt me by leaving. When she tol
  22. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    I have to say, I really love Darik, and I want to give Ben a huge hug! [:D]

Thanks for making this story lighter. :*
  23. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    This is why I don't have a FF.N account - I always have to review twice.

Excellent job. I love Darik and Ben. They are going to be a wonderful handful for Luke and Mara when LM gets together (wink wink, nudge nudge)
  24. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    Way to go, girl! Thsi fic just keeps growing - without loosing it's charm one bit - and now Luke's back in the banth agian too! [:D] [face_dancing] [:D]

The affair and breakup hit Luke worse than if Callista had died. With infidelity there is the death of trust, love, marriage and family. Luke was left to face the fact that the person he trusted with all his heart had deliberately smashed his dreams beyond repair. She planned it, hid it, and then tried to make Luke think he was crazy when he questioned those strange late night comlink calls. The thought that his wife could look him the eye and tell him lie after lie was beyond comprehension. Did he ever really know Callista? Was anything she said the truth? Is this affair the first or only the first discovered out of many? Luke rubbed his temples trying to ward off a headache. He had to stop wallowing in his pain. He couldn?t let his ineffable sense of loss and loneliness to emotionally and spiritually paralyze him. He had a son to take care of?Ben needed him.
    It makes perfect sense - and I think wee needed this Luke POV! [face_peace]

?No, I can understand?I think. You find out you?re pregnant and then discover I?m married. You don?t want to throw a wrench into my happiness, so you keep quiet.?

She gave a forlorn little nod.

He looked up to her questioningly. ?But what I do want to know is why you left after our night together
    .?
    Very, very stylish! I love when L&M mess it all up - but to see them act like adults is awesome too! :p

?And give up your son?I doubt that. I think even you will admit Ben is worth the pain you endured with Callista.?

Luke smiled at the thought of his son. Mara had been right when she talked to him on Coruscant...it didn't matter what the blood tests proved...Ben was Luke's son and he loved him unconditionally
    Awwwww....!

It was a vision of these two children growing up together and becoming two men bound to each other as brothers. Luke shook his head and refocused on the reality of the moment.
    Double awwww!!!! Yes, I chose to see this as the all-powerful author lady's Vision of the Future ;)

Mommy said my daddy is a Jedi but he had to go far away.?

Luke swallowed a lump in his throat. ?Did she tell you anything else??

?She said I?m cute like my dad.?

?Oh really,? Luke laughed.

?Yeah, and she must love him a lot,? the little boy whispered.

Luke?s brow creased. ?Why do you say that??

?Because Mommy says she loved him almost as much as me?and she loves me a lot.? He looked up at Luke his blue eyes seemed to bore through him intensely. ?Do you know my Daddy??

Luke was momentarily struck speechless. ?I?umm, I think I need to talk to your mother first about that
    .?
    Yesssnesss! From the mouth of children - and all that... :p
  25. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    I think Mara's still carrying a torch for Luke. Let's hope she doesn't use it to burn him this time. [face_laugh][face_laugh] I love that the kids are having fun together!!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade