main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Light at the end of the tunnel: The 2008 Election, its aftermath and the future

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by KnightWriter, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    He certainly looks like he had more fun up there than he did standing next to the REAL Sarah Palin.

Anyway, I sorry: given what's happened this election season I just can't see her getting very far. If she did there's very little America could say in it's defense.

2. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    My map. I'd bet the farm on it.

3. Force_Chick

Force_Chick Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2008
    I live here in Florida and while I do know quite a few people voting for Obama, I'm thinking McCain may edge out a win here. I've been seeing quite a few McCain/Palin yard signs and bumper stickers from Tampa, down the I-75 corridor, to Naples.

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Number one worst reason for choosing who to vote for (no matter which camp you're in):

5. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Looks like Sarah wants to take on Iran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D9LofMCa8A

A McCain/Palin launched ground war into Iran should scare anybody way more than spreading the wealth around.

If I am Joe middle class under Obama I get free Health care and my taxs cut.

If I am Joe middle class under McCain I get drafted sent to Iran and come home in a body bag.

And this is supposed to be a difficult choice[face_thinking]

6. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    I am just so happy to be posting in a new election thread.

I am crossing my fingers, hoping, wishing, and yes even praying for the good guys to finally bring it home.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    You're a fool if you think the draft is ever going to be reinstated.

8. Darth_Smileyface

Darth_Smileyface Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2004
    "I am crossing my fingers, hoping, wishing, and yes even praying for the good guys to finally bring it home"

OWM, I thought you wanted the democrats to win :p

9. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    The crazy Quebec Canadians are at it again pranking Palin on the phone, she has no clue, until they tell her.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/01/masked-avengers-prank-cal_n_140023.html

Scroll down to play the call.

a little sample:

FNS: You know my wife is a popular singer and a former top model and she?s so hot in bed. She even wrote a song for you.
    SP: Oh my goodness! I didn?t know that.

FNS: Yes, in French, it?s called Du rouge à lèvres sur un cochonne [Translate: Lipstick for a sow] or if you prefer in English Joe the Plumber, [sings] It?s his life, Joe the Plumber..."
    SP: Maybe she understands some of the unfair criticism but I bet you she is such a hard worker, too, and she realizes you just plow through that criticism.

FNS: I just want to be sure, I don?t? quite understand the phenomenon "Joe the Plumber," that?s not your husband, right?
    SP: Mmhmm, that?s not my husband but he?s a normal American who just works hard and doesn?t want government to take his money.

FNS: Yes, yes, I understand, we have the equivalent of Joe the Plumber in France, it?s called, "Marcel, the guy with bread under his armpit, oui."
    SP: Right. That?s what it?s all about, is the middle class, and government needing to work for them. You?re a very good example for us here.

[face_laugh]

10. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Fred Thompson went on Meet The Press this morning saying that there have been previous vice-presidential candidates "less qualified" than Sarah Palin.

And Tucker Bounds continues to live in the Lynchian pocket-universe inside his head:

In a statement, McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds responded, "Barack Obama and Dick Cheney aren't just cousins; they've shared support for the Bush energy policy and the out-of-control spending that John McCain has fought to oppose," he said.[hr][/blockquote][/color]
    You know what's funny, though? That McCain's SNL appearance will trump the Reverend Wright stuff for at least the next news-cycle. Last night was easily the most comfortable and likable I've ever seen McCain, which is a shame. Best McCain has been in months. And really good use of Fey as Palin, and even Cindy McCain.

At this point, two days out, I'm no longer worried about polls tightening. I'm worried about polls being [i]wrong[/i] (I'm looking at you, New Hampshire). And with 2000 still a fresh wound in everybody's mind, I would imagine that nobody is going to call anything until it's well and truly in the can.

I remember all of them stepping on eggshells during the Bush/Kerry election: [i]"We can't make any predictions at this point..."[/i]

Still, looking forward to very likely partying it up in Chicago on election night.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm trying to imagine what it would be like in Grant Park Tuesday night if Obama lost. That would be something to see.

12. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Believe me, it's something I'm hoping I don't get to see. [face_mischief]

13. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    A house about five minutes from mine put up a large sign with Obama's "O" symbol and his name across it in Arabic.

24 hours later the cops made him take it down. He was threatened with arrest for "inciting to riot".

You know, seeing signs like that just disgusts me. I find some of my fellow citizens very, very disturbing.

I guess some of them would find me disturbing, too.

Peace,

V-03

14. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
  15. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Honestly, I'm surprised that you talk about how you find the sign disturbing, but you don't say anything about the police's actions being disturbing.

How was the sign "inciting to riot"? Was the sign tied to any acts of violence? Were any crimes committed as a result of him putting that sign up?

Yes, that sign would be a clear example of dirty politics, and I absolutely do not condone putting it up, but it is within that person's right to free speech. It's a clear example of political speech, and for the police to insist that it be taken down and threaten the person who put it up with arrest without it being tied to any acts of violence is unconscionable.

A few weeks ago, officials in St Louis were threatening to arrest people who spoke out against Obama for libel. When the police step in and threaten someone for putting up a political sign, it gives very much the same impression.

Kimball Kinnison

16. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't know your neighbors, but was it necessarily such a bad sign? My sister has a bumper sticker with Obama's name in Hebrew. . .

17. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I'm confused. How is that sign dirty politics?

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It's a good point. I'm not entirely sure a sign like that qualifies as protected political speech. It seems more like hate speech to me. Legitimate political speech should enjoy the highest level of protection, followed by artistic expression and then commercial speech.

Let's say the yard sign had read "Obama is a Muslim." To me, that isn't political speech. It's simply a false statement. A big fat lie. The meaning of the yard sign V03 describes is a little bit more obscured. Two issue of interest: what was the person's intent putting it up and what is the likely effect it will have on someone who reads it.

Maybe the intent of the sign was to convey the idea that Obama is a uniter and will help the U.S. find reconciliation with the Arab world. Is it likely to be interpreted that way by someone who walks past it? I don't think so.

19. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Writing someone's name in Arabic is hate speech now?

I'm going to go turn in all of my grandmother's birthday cards to me into the local police. BRB!

20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Sorry, I was in the middle of an edit when you posted your response. It's not hate speech if that wasn't the intent, but you also have to take into account how reasonable people will interpret the message.

21. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    So what you're saying that a reasonable person will infer that "arabic=bad"? Really?

22. DeathStar1977

DeathStar1977 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    KK

A few weeks ago, officials in St Louis were threatening to arrest people who spoke out against Obama for libel.

I don?t think this is accurate.

This is from the same video link:

http://www.kmov.com/localnews/stories/kmov_election_092808_truthsquad.bec69e89.html?npc

Members of law enforcement never said anyone would be prosecuted, indicted or punished for saying anything, only that they were prepared to tell the public the truth.

(On Sept. 29, I interviewed Jefferson County Sheriff Glenn Boyer.) "I reviewed your interview with both prosecutors, and I didn't see anywhere where any of them stated that they were going to arrest anybody or try to intimidate anybody," Boyer said. "For anyone to insinuate that is pure political spin for political purposes."

More here:

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080927/BLOGS09/80927018

23. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    It had a "JohnMcCain.com" label at it's bottom.

It wasn't a "pro-Obama" sign, if that's what you mean by the "Hebrew" thing; my mom has a pin with Obama's name in Hebrew on it.

By the way, Kimball, I didn't comment on the police's actions, simply reported them. I neither endorsed nor condemned their behavior...putting words in my mouth, or thoughts in my brain, eh? ;).

In reality, I don't agree with the cops making him take down the sign, I just find him putting it up disgusting, that's all. It bothers me that people do that, and yes, it bothers me that the cops do that, too.

Peace,

V-03

24. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Unless the pollsters have somehow got this massively wrong, and I don't think that is likely, the GOP is looking at a rout in two days time.

Obama will win fairly comfortably, the democrats look like getting at least 245 house members and 250 or more is easily possible while in the Senate things could be even worse for the GOP. Colorado, New Mexico and Virginia have never been close. New Hampshire and Oregon will almost certainly fall and with Stevens conviction so will Alaska. That gives the democrats an almost certain 57 seats. On top of that Liddy Dole looks in big trouble in North Carolina while Minnesota is a genuine toss up. If they both flip it only takes one shock result somewhere like Georgia or Mississippi to get the democrats to 60. It's a good job for the GOP that Susan Collins is coasting to a surprisingly easy win in Maine.

Anyway my question is where will be the GOP go from here. Will this rout be blamed on Bush, will his legacy be a massive defeat for his party, or will the nomination of a moderate candidate be blamed. I have my on thoughts on the way forward fpr the GOP but I am interested in what those closer to the situation think.

25. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    I think I need more information. Did it say anything other than Obama's name in Arabic and johnmccain.com? Maybe I'm "unreasonable" as I see a person's name translated into a foreign language as entirely neutral, whether it's French or Arabic or Korean or Sanskrit or Aurebesh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.