main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Light of a Single Candle (1/2) (Qui, Obi) (Answer to Qui-Gon Mush Challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by advocate1900, Oct 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. advocate1900

advocate1900 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    DISCLAIMER: I do not own Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, or any of the other familiar Star Wars characters. They all belong to George Lucas and Jude Watson. If they did belong to me, I?d make sure there were at least ten more books in the JA Series, but alas, they don?t.

TITLE: Light of a Single Candle

AUTHOR: advocate1900

SUMMARY: It?s time for the Winter Festival on Coruscant. Everywhere there is happiness and holiday spirit?or is there? A scant few months after Jedi Master Tahl?s death, sixteen-year-old Jedi Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi is wondering that exact same thing?

SERIES: No

SPOILERS: Yes, for JA #15 and JA #16.

CATEGORY: Drama/Angst, H/C, NON-SLASH

TIME PERIOD: 9 years Pre-TPM, somewhat AU

RATING: G-PG

A/N: It?s a little too early for Christmas, but oh, well, I wanted to get this posted. There is a father/son relationship between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, but even if you don?t like that sort of thing, please read this fic anyway. Please R&R!

/thoughts/

//telepathy//

.:Light of a Single Candle:.

Cold. That was his first sensation as he woke up on the morning of the first day of the Winter Festival on Coruscant. The quarters he shared with his Master, Qui-Gon Jinn, in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant were all but freezing, or at least his room was. Shivering in his too thin tunic, sixteen-year-old Jedi Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, slowly sat up. He kept the heavy blanket he had acquired sometime during the night around his shoulders as he swung his legs over the side of his bed and gazed out the window.

It was snowing. A wall of sheer white occupied the space normally reserved for transports.

Excitement rose in Obi-Wan?s heart. It had been years since Coruscant had last gotten a decent snowfall. He was probably too old for that sort of thing, but at the moment he was too thrilled to care. Maybe he would be able to go out later if it slowed down a bit. He hoped Qui-Gon would go with him.

The thought of his fully grown Master playing in the snow made Obi-Wan smile. Speaking of which?Qui-Gon should be awake by now.

Hurriedly, he got off his bed and put on a set of fresh clothes, finally slipping on the boots he usually wore around their quarters and the Temple. As of late, Qui-Gon had been more cheerful?no longer burdened by Jedi Master Tahl?s death of several months before?but that still did not stop Obi-Wan from worrying about the man who, for all intents and purposes, was his father. The month or so after Tahl?s death had been the worst. It had taken two harrowing missions and Obi-Wan nearly losing his life for his master to make Qui-Gon see that he was not alone and that Tahl would not want him to be alone. Since then, the Jedi Master had improved considerably, but Obi-Wan was still concerned and wary about this year?s Winter Festival. Qui-Gon, shortly after the mission during which Obi-Wan had almost died, had told him (through bittersweet tears) about all the insane havoc he, Mace Windu, and Tahl had wreaked during this particular festival when they were Padawans themselves. The young Jedi only hoped that, being this was the first holiday after Tahl?s death, Qui-Gon wouldn?t take it too hard.

When Obi-Wan entered the main area of their quarters, he was both surprised and worried to find that he was the only one there. /Surely he hasn?t gone out in this weather!/ the Jedi Padawan thought frantically, wildly glancing around their quarters, he searched for anything?a datapad or even a simple note scribbled onto flimsy?that would let him know where his Master was. After a few intense moments he spotted the small datapad lying on the kitchen table and his heartbeat returned to normal.

Rubbing his face with hands that still shook slightly, Obi-Wan thought, /I?ve been worrying way too much lately./

Walking quickly into the kitchen, the boy picked up the datapad and read it. His mouth went dry and his stomach dropped as he did so:

OBI-WAN (it read),

I?LL BE BACK BY, AT THE LATEST, 8:00 AM, I PROMISE. I HAVE A FEW ERRANDS TO RUN O

2. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwww...that was so sweet.

@};- @};- @};-

Good job on this,

=D= =D= =D= =D=

3. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    TBC? Good, I'm really loving this story! :D [face_love]

I just love Qui/Obi stories, and this one is off to a great start! *happy sigh* Such lovely mush. [face_love]

I have a question, is that flashback of Qui's what really happened in JA #16? I haven't been able to find that one to read it yet. *grumble*

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more of this! :D

4. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    *sigh* Lovely mush. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] Can't wait for more.

5. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    Awww. Happy holiday-season mushiness.

That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

<<The Jedi Master quickly placed the packages he?d been carrying on a nearby coffee table, keeping one arm around his trembling student, before fully encircling Obi-Wan with both his arms.>>

This passage, as concise as it was, really painted a picture. It's yet another one of those moments of shock--"You were worried? Why?"--but Qui-Gon responds and adjusts to it almost intuitively. Very in-character. And the fact that he wasn't willing to let go of Obi-Wan even to put the groceries down squished my shleepyish heart.

Beautifully done, addy. [:D]

6. DriftingThread

DriftingThread Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2005
    Aww you made my heart fill with a warm fuzzy feeling.:)
    That was just tooo sweet.
    And there is more to come? *faints* Wonderful!
    I look forward to it.:D

7. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    So he had gone out in the blizzard. /When he returns, I?m going to kill him for scaring me like this,/ Obi-Wan thought, hugging the datapad to his chest. /Wonder how soon that is?/

[face_laugh] What a greeting that would be!

Aside from plotting to murder his own Master, there does seem to be a lot of mush in here... ;)

More mush, please! [face_batting]

8. advocate1900

advocate1900 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    KELIA: [face_blush] Gee, thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

Bastet: ::sighs:: I'm afraid I made that little flashback up. ::pouts:: I wanted something like this to happen in JA #16, though. If you can't find it (and I haven't either, not at a book store), try Amazon.com--I'm pretty sure they'll have it. Glad you're enjoying my story, though :). And yes, it's TBC, just look down below!

LilQui-Gon: Well, look no more :D, I have part two up below! Hope you enjoy it!

Fluff-Slayer: [face_blush] [face_blush] Thanks a bunch! Wonderful review there--liked the nickname, too :) .

DriftingThread: ::quickly rushes to side and fans:: Glad you liked it so much, but please don't go fainting on me--you won't be able to read the next part ;)!

Star_Drifter: [face_mischief] Yes, indeed, that would be quite a greeting! Well, fortunately he hasn't yet murdered his Master, so there's plenty more mush to go around. And it's just below!

A/N: Just one small warning--I wrote this before I even knew Dooku was Qui-Gon's Master, so I have Yoda in that place instead (works better with the fic), but I hope you still enjoy it!

oOoOoOoOoOo

Part II

Obi-Wan sat silently on a thick tree branch in one of the Jedi Temple?s many gardens, watching from a distance as various Master-Padawan pairs trampled through the newly fallen snow. Everywhere he could see other Jedi teams wrestling, tossing snowballs, and simply having fun. His legs were tucked close to his chest and his arms were wrapped around them, on top of his knees rested his chin, and on his face he wore a thoughtful, contemplative expression.

Qui-Gon was busy elsewhere for a little while, probably with the Council, and had told Obi-Wan to wait for him in the gardens. The Jedi Master had hoped he would get some time to spend with his friends and Obi-Wan knew this. The young Jedi Padawan had indeed gone to the gardens, but he did not feel particularly up to interacting with the other apprentices today, especially since they looked like they were having a very good time with their Masters. It did not seem right that he interfere.

The sixteen-year-old smiled slightly as he saw Bant Eerin, his best friend, throw a snowball at her new Master?Mace Windu. He watched as it caught the darker Master in the face. He could not be sure from this distance, but it looked as if Bant was giggling. His smile broadened as he watched Master Mace lunge, grab her in his arms, and toss her onto his shoulder. Shrieks of laughter from the fifteen-year-old Mon Calamari girl reached him faintly where he sat on his branch.

By the Force, was he ever glad to hear it!

Tahl had been Bant?s first Master and, like Qui-Gon, it had taken her a while to get over that loss. This holiday would probably be difficult for Bant and Obi-Wan was exceedingly grateful that she had Master Windu with her.

He could only hope that he was half so effective in helping Qui-Gon.

?Hey, thinker, are you planning to stay up there for the rest of Winter Festival?? his Master?s light teasing penetrated his thoughts and brought his attention back to the present.

Looking directly into his Master?s sparkling eyes, Obi-Wan caught his breath in sharply. There was such love, warmth, and joy in that midnight blue! No longer did any shadows darken it.

Qui-Gon grinned at the younger Jedi?s apparent incapability of speech. ?Well??

Finding his tongue, Obi-Wan smiled and teased, ?Of course, Master. Why ever not? There?s such a pleasant view from here.?

The Jedi Master laughed outright before reaching up and lightly tousling his apprentice?s head. However, all at once, he grew serious. ?No one should be alone during Winter Festival,? he murmured, smiling gently at his dearest apprentice. Reaching up for the boy, he ordered softly, ?Come here, my young one.?

Obi-Wan blushed. //Master,// he protested silently over their bond, //I can do this myself.//

Qui-Gon?s eyes were

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Wonderful ending...Obi-Wan giving Qui-Gon the candle...very touching.

I loved the way Qui-Gon forced pushed Obi off the tree

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Bravo!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Lovely mush advocate1900, can't ever get enough of Quimush. :)

11. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    [face_love] [face_love]

Wow, that was some very delectable mush there. Mmmm, yummy... =P~ ;) :D

That was great when Qui pushed Obi out of the tree, and then Yoda came by and said all that nice stuff to Obi. ?Restore a man whose soul had been broken, to what he once was you did. And remake a Padawan I had thought gone, you did. For this, thank you enough I cannot.? Awwww, that's our Obi! [face_love]

And Obi's gift to Qui was so sweet and thoughtful. That part was just so... *sniff*...beautiful! :_|

Gently, he pulled the teenager down to kneel in front of him, pressing a soft kiss to his Learner?s forehead. ?I love you, Obi-Wan. More than life itself.? [face_love]

Thanks for the great story, advocate1900! I'll have to keep an eye out for more of your stuff. :D

=D= @};- =D= @};- =D= @};-

12. rubber_band

rubber_band Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2005
    :_| o man that was so sweet! wow

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, truly touching and beautifully written. More than one wonderful passage, but this was great:

"Yoda smile again. ?Something many thought impossible you did, young Obi-Wan. Not once, but twice. Miracles they were. Teach a man whose heart had been shattered one time too many, to love again you did. Give a man whose happiness had been lost, joy again you did. Show a man whose laughter and smile had disappeared, how to joke again you did.? His voice quieted as he allowed his emotions to truly surface. ?Restore a man whose soul had been broken, to what he once was you did. And remake a Padawan I had thought gone, you did. For this, thank you enough I cannot.? Yoda hobbled closer to a very much touched and speechless pair. Placing his small claw first on Obi-Wan?s head, then on Qui-Gon?s, he murmured, ?Force be with you, my students.? And with that, the ancient Jedi Master hobbled away."

=D= =D= =D=

14. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    *sniff*

Awe, that was beautiful *appalause*

15. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    =D= This is one of my favorite stories I've ever read. =D=

[face_love] @};- [:D] @};- [face_love] @};-

16. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

It was nice to read a loving mushy story
    and one candle does shine very brightly
    Very lovely story.
    Well done=D=

17. obi-wanfan123

obi-wanfan123 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    :_| Sniff!!

That is a very touching story.

Through the mist of death, Obi-Wan can still light up Qui-Gon's life with a simple gesture.

Excellent story!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.