Discussion Light Saber Duels - OT or PT style?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by Darth EL Pollo Loco, Jan 28, 2013.

1. aguywithabiggun Force Ghost

star 4
    Personally I love the flashy styles. Maybe tone it down just a bit from TPM. I feel that AOTC had it about right. Interesting question.
    Last edited by aguywithabiggun, Jan 29, 2013
  2. Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Master

star 1
    I'd love to see some Yoda flinging his saber action.....
  3. KitsterAKABobaFett Force Ghost

star 2
    How about a new style? Something that sets it apart from both the PT and the OT. Luke didn't have any other Jedi to really show him how to use a saber, so maybe he develops his own original style over the years.
  4. Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Master

star 1
    I for one would love to see more Force powers being used... Would love to see Luke force crush someone
  5. Seagoat Force Ghost

star 4
    Each trilogy had its own feel for lightsaber combat.

OT the Jedi were wiped out and weak, scattered, so naturally, a slow, straight-to-the-point style was fitting.

PT the Jedi were in full blossom, so the flashy, fast-paced and acrobatic style suited it.

Clearly, the ST needs kind of a middle, as the Jedi would have started to recover, but not as much as before.
  6. Kyris Cavisek Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Honestly I would love to see a female Jedi to use a much more fluid style. If Luke fights like a samurai, then the female Jedi should fight as a ninja, like water flowing passed a stone
  7. Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Master

star 1
    I dont know if she might be too old but i'd love to see ventress in ep vii
  8. Kyris Cavisek Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    For a female style something along this lines...
  9. Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Master

star 1
    i think we should have our lady jedis wear aprons and fling home made pies at the enemy
    CT-867-5309 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  10. Kyris Cavisek Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Better watch out @Team Padme is gonna get you
  11. Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Master

star 1
    Their force power shall be Force Nag
    Pfluegermeister and CT-867-5309 like this.
  12. Jetedonne Pur-Pureus Force Ghost

star 4
    Both have their merits...

I've read that a lot of people don't think that the Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader Duel in A New Hope wasn't all that great...but thinking about that duel now, I feel as though it looked to me like Obi-Wan and Darth Vader were more or less testing each other with Darth going for the poking and prodding slowly, perhaps toying with Ben, whilst Ben was on the defensive...and the slower version felt more free-flowing as it showed that if you get hit by that saber, you're in trouble...

But the PT lightsaber duels showcased a style in-which, perhaps The Force had a little more to do with in the sense that maybe the reason the Jedi could go so fast was do to their Force powers...

I guess it would be nice if every Jedi had their own style, as was the case with Dooku and Yoda for instance...
    Last edited by Bryan Fab, Jun 2, 2013
    Jedi Merkurian and Darth_Pevra like this.
  13. The Hellhammer Grand Judicator of the New Film Territories

star 5
  14. gregvader123 Jedi Master

star 2
    The whole thing about the saber duels being weaker in the OT because of Obi Wan's advanced age, Vader in his suit, and Luke being new to dueling is just George retconning again. The OT duels would have been like the PT duels had Lucas been able to do it at the time, just how we would have had a lot more other PT-style effects in the OT had he been able to do it at the time.
  15. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    I'm thinking this. Like the one in the '09 Star Trek film.
  16. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
  17. I_Love_Scotch Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I don't care what style they use as long as the fights are awesome. There were bad fights in both trilogies, most notably the Vader/Obi-Wan fight in ANH, and the Sidious/Windu fight in ROTS. I thought the Luke/Vader duels were excellent, and the Darth Maul/Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon fight was excellent.
  18. Han Burgundy Force Ghost

star 3
    To quote myself from an earlier thread:

19. spicer Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Something in between. Not slow, boring and sometimes clumsy like the OT, nor over the top, ridiculous, I know cool useless spins like the PT.
  20. Storybound Jedi Master

star 1
    I liked the PT duels. But a new style, definitely would bring a different feel to the ST. As others have already said, a mixture of both.
  21. Sistros Force Ghost

star 6
    a bit of both,

I don't want it to be flashy all the time,

let each fighter be unique

as a sword enthusiast it is impossibe in a real life situation to test different swords with each other, as many are heavier, or have a different function.

think an epee vs a Katana.

In Star Wars such a thing isn't a problem, so lets see how a slow fighter deals with a quick fighter.
    Sarge likes this.
  22. Darth_Corvus Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm going to join those who said that they want a mix. PT fights were flashy and all but tooo plastic. Waaaay tooo coreographied. When Obi-Wan was super pissed and used the dark side to defeat maul. He showed as much emotions as my chair. Even the flashy stuff can be dull if it is an emotionless pile of artifical garbage.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    So... Ewan McGregor's terrible acting somehow ties in with the lightsaber choreography... [face_hypnotized]
  24. Master-of_les-Pauls Jedi Padawan

The duels in the trailers for TOR is just what I want the fights to be like in the ST
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. The Hellhammer Grand Judicator of the New Film Territories

star 5
    I enjoy the PT duels for the most part, overchoreographed as they are. For the most part they're fun to watch and I like them for what they are.
    However.
    Some things are just plain silly.
    For example:

[IMG]