main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Light Saber Duels - OT or PT style?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth EL Pollo Loco, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    As long as duels have good dialogue, that's all that matters to me. Action is nice, but it can get repetitive if you don't mix in some good dialogue that gives it a more intimate feel. I am not a huge fan of many of the PT duels, but the one I thought was underrated was Dooku/Obiwan in AOTC because Dooku was smack talking him the whole time about his force powers using a lightsaber. The best line, "You disappoint me Obiwan as QuiGon held you in such high regard!" :cool:

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012

Another moment in the PT that makes me cringe is 1 minute and 8 seconds into the Obi-Wan Qui-Gon and Darth Maul duel when Obi-Wan starts to make a strike at Maul but stops. What?

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    ^That was a feint. It was to distract Maul while Qui-Gon went in for a real blow. Obviously it didn't work, but it was a good idea.

4. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    It was a check swing, and the 1st base umpire said he didn't go around. ;)

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Correct. It was a strategic attention draw away from Qui Gon who was the one actually striking the blow.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Feint or not, it just makes me cringe.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Understandable. When I find out that I disliked something because I didn't actually understand it, I tend to cringe, myself.

8. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Ahh you again? I've had enough arguing with you for a lifetime. This has nothing to do with McGregor's acting. The raaaw hatred of the dark side should have been visible in his fighting style since he is attacking his master's killer. Somehow when Luke was pissed at Vader it was shown in his fighting style. My idea: Give the actors some basic kenjutsu training but don't learn coreographies. Just tell em: Actress A you are ****ing pissed at B. Actress B you don't want to hurt A because you secretly have a crush on her.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It makes tactical sense to do it but it just throws me from the duel for that couple of seconds. Just seems too obvious of something for Maul to fall for.

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    He fell for the part where he stared at his opponent for 10 seconds as he did a flip over him, got himself a saber and cut him in half.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, it is simple to predict. I suspect the *only* reason that it works on any level, whatsoever, was more for the viewer than the characters... seeing how 2 Jedi who train together can know the others' moves. But, Maul just waited their little tagteaming out.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    the same phenomenon happened in the anakin/obi-wan duel in ROTS during the "windmill" part. for the longest time i thought it was so unnecessary and ridiculous until i read a post that laid out how it's actually a result of two fencers knowing each other well.

for reference: http://starwarsgroup.tumblr.com/post/48477097611

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Touche.

Sarge likes this.
  14. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    In that case, I stand corrected as far as it's usefulness is concerned.

Still, I would have to say that there aren't many viewers who are familiar with the intricacies of French fencing techniques. Visually, it does look kind of silly.
    A simple feint, on the other hand, is something that pretty much anyone can see for what it is - and many people have used it in their lifetime in scuffles less epic than a lightsaber duel.
    You pretend you go in with your right... and smash him over the head with a bottle in your left hand.
    That sort of stuff.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, I was automatically in tune with it when it happened. It is a basic move in boxing... and Irish culture in general. :p

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Good dialogue is a must. The dialogue for the OT duels, the Dooku duels and the Obi-Wan and Anakin duels were amazing. The only problems with the Dooku duels that I have are that they are too short and aside from the dialogue don't get that much emotion from them.
    Can we have the lightsabers actually destroy the environment like they did in the OT?
    The duels from the TOR trailers especially Beginning were amazing. Hope to see that type of style in the ST.

17. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Yeah I love Dooku duels. For several reasons.
    1. He talks
    2. His bladework is beautiful. I'm a sucker for japanese culture but I have to admit. Makashi is the best lightsaber form.
    3. It is believable. It is also coreographied yes, but we see what we expect. Makashi is a slow, elegant fighting style that should be relaxing, like a dance. Now look at Doku as he is always smiling, he is relaxed. He looks exactly like a Makashi practioner should look.

Sarge and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Him baiting Anakin and Obi-Wan was memorable. At least he didn't flip like Yoda did. The bladework was amazing but each battle was over with too quickly. Ruined the momentum for me. I know Anakin and Obi-Wan were somewhat tired from fighting in the Arena but each of their duels didn't even last a minute. Those duels left me wanting more.

19. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    OT and PT style and some new ST style.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe take "fencing" a bit further- more thrusting, less swinging. Even if it ends up looking like The Princess Bride with lightsabers instead of swords, it would be fun to watch.

21. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Make every swing count. Have it look like that if the guy didn't block, the attack would've lopped his arm or head off.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Princess Bride is awesome. Anything that mimics it is automatically awesome in my book.

Sarge and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Somebody else on the forum already found some Princess Bride scenes edited to replace the swords with lightsabers:

24. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

Except for Courtship of Princess Leia, which somehow was some kind of part of a homage to the Princess Bride. Until I heard that not to long ago I would have never, ever, guessed. Because TPB was awesome and Space Fabio and the Ruffie Gun wasn't.

25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Good then that I didn't read it.