main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA Light Saber Tournement

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by falcon_prime, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    It's whether or not, not weather.

Yes, I know I'm not correcting Phil's spelling.

2. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Better watch it Lori "he's a feisty one" :p

3. Enforcer_Draconus

Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
  4. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Yes, but has he learned any respect yet? [face_not_talking]

5. S_C_A-lexander

S_C_A-lexander Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2005
    I don't hand it out.

Its earned.

Loreen, touche (on the spelling)!

6. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Sometimes you have to give it, in order to earn it back.

7. Enforcer_Draconus

Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
  8. falcon_prime

falcon_prime Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    The tournament will be held at the same location as the normal Wednesday night location.

9. Robeewankenobe

Robeewankenobe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 29, 2004
    Count me in.
    Thanks Phil.
    Rob-B-1

10. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    We now have 18 sign ups!

Here is the current list of fighters...

Billy, Aaron, Lisa, Matt Ewok, Edwin, Shandon, Phil, Erik, Rion, Lori, Liz, Zhi-don Briana, Ckatt, Kwame, Adam, and Rob!

Thanks
    Phil

11. sturmgewehr

sturmgewehr Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Hey! you were talking about regulating the blade length for shinai and lightsabers. Did you guys come to a conclusion on that, or are six footers acceptable?

12. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    A six foot blade? You've got to be talking about a double bladed lightsaber. I can't imagine anyone actually fighting with a single six foot blade (Parksabers are three feet which is about the same length as a "39" shinai).

13. JediJenee

JediJenee Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2005
    Please sign me up too Phil and hopefully I can get a ride with my Jedi Master. Also how many Wednesday nights before the
    tournament do you have to be there to practice to qualify? Also with my eyes being the way you know they are, do I qualify to
    participate? I hope I do. I know I have missed some nights and this last Wednesday my dad was too tired to drive me. But my
    mom is doing better, though her situation with her kidneys remains the same, with no hope of getting better.

14. Zhi-don

Zhi-don Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2005
    Jen;

You know that anyone in your area would be glad to give you a ride including me. If you need one, let me know.

I think I can answer this one for Phil, you are more that welcome to compete. Despite your problems, I have always felt that the FORCE was with you. You are one of the best fighters that I have ever had a part in training. Please come if you can.

I for one would be honored to duel with you.

15. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    Blade length... it is still not determined... I will post when we have an answer.

Jen... I am glad to here that you want to fight. You are MORE than welcome to join us! We are now up to 19 fighters. This is getting big! I don't know about all of you... but I am very excited!

16. JediJenee

JediJenee Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2005
    Thank you Phil and Don your offer is kind, I will be glad to duel with you,
    but I have a ride usually with either my Dad or Rob and lately when both of them
    are busy, I usually have other responsibilities too and cannot always make it to
    Wednesday night, but I am there as often as I can.

17. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    I encourage everyone who is participating in the tournament to get as much practice as possible. I know I'm not the favorite of the group, and yall hate my guts. But I am truly proud to see improvement in the regulars not only in individual combat but in melee combat as well. People are finally working together and gravitating more towards logic and analysis instead of who has the highest exp or whose going to take on the big 4.

Those out of practice, be warned of the regulars. Everyone should be at their best.

Props of the week (or bi-weekly): Ewok (EJ)
    -for the best planning by pairing a single sword user always with a pole-arm, during melee.

18. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    Well spoken sir!

19. sturmgewehr

sturmgewehr Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005

No, I was just exagerating to make a point about my question. I know that blade length can sometimes be a deciding factor in some battles. I was thinking if I had time, I wanted to build a saber for this tournament, but I did not want to make it with any unfair advantages.

20. Zhi-don

Mar 22, 2005
    At this point blade length is as follows:

Standard shinai length = about 39 inches
    Standard lightsaber length = 40 inches

No blade should exceed 40 inches in length. Exceptions will be allowed only by Master's Council approval.

21. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    We will discuss and measure blades on Wednesday and have a set in stone answer then (if Don and Phil agree with this?)

22. Zhi-don

Mar 22, 2005
    Correction on the above. More to follow.

23. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    Length will be announced on Wednesday.

Length will be posted here on Thursday morning.

24. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    One week left to sign up for the tournament. 19 fighters have currently signed up.

Tuesday the first will be the last day to sign up.

25. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    And all shall fall before me! mmmmwaaa ha ha haaa. Just kidding.

My 2 cents on the length issue is that though many of the sabers brought to the class are of equal "total" length, blade length is another matter. The tsuka of a shinai on average is 11-12 inches, placing the first finger high up at 12 inches from the bottom (proper handling). On a saber however, its customary to hold the saber at the switch thus the first finger is now 8-9 inches from the bottom, the comparable blade length is now lengthen. I know some will argue that the 'emitter' to the hand is useless and can't cut, and for them I'd say come out to actual practice. 90% of the attacks utilize the 1st foot from thrusting tip. Hardly anyone, beside myself, uses the edge near the handle to begin a cut. And even then in truth I at most start my cuts at 8inches above the handle, in specific attacks. 3-5 inches may be arbitrary, but control becomes the issue. We already have a specific rule against "fishing" (holding a shinai a few inches from the tsuba to gain more reach). If my shinai is the same 'total' length of a saber, I'm not allowed to lower my grip, because it?s fishing and inarguable that control can be lost. But for a saber, hey that?s were the handle is. My argument is that the focus should be on blade length (from where the saber is normally held, and not the emitter, to the thrust tip) and not the total length.

I'll be the first to say that my argument above does not pertain to all sabers! There are special cases, when grip must be lowered because of special weight issues. If the balance point of the saber is on the thumb or in the grip, a delay on focused attacks is created, and this is still a loss of control. If the balance point is more than 5 inchs away from the grip, then we have a fishing issue. I know that there are styles out there that require you to use only 1 hand, butt end, and are tip heavy, but those are for cleaving and hacking of limbs, and we can't exactly use power here.

P.S. I use the word "thrust," its just a term don't bite my head off for it. We are all clear that actual thrusting is big no no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.