main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rocky M, NC Light sabers

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Sinuuan, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinuuan

Sinuuan Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2002
    What creates the different colors of the light sabers, is it the choice of the jedi or is it the choice/will of the Force.

2. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    Thats a good question.

If you go by the books, the color is determined by the choice of crystal you use. In the books, they use other things besides Adegan crystals, at times. Look at Tenel Ka's lightsaber, or Anakins lightsaber using a vonglife crystal. But, on the other hand, the books have all types of colors to lightsabers, whereas the movies only have green, blue, red, and now purple.

I think a possible answer would be in the timelines. The Young Jedi knights, New Jedi Order, etc. etc. are all set in post empire era time. The Jedi were almost completely extinct, and have now come back but lack the same uniform knowledge or "schooling" as the jedi prior to the empire had available to them. So I think that the color scheme you see in the movies, is due to a rigid type of training using a certain few types of crystals available to them, whereas now the jedi are not following such a rigorous method of training are able to discover other ways to form their own lightsource crystals and therefore produce new and different colors.

Anyone else have any ideas?

3. joe-da

joe-da Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    ILM makes the colors....
    snicker, snicker..

4. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    I find your lack of faith..... disturbing.....

/cue heavy breathing

:)

5. Entropy

Entropy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    I think originally Lucas was just going for simple symbolism. In design, red is a "hot" color, while blue is a "cool" color. Also, on the color wheel, green is the opposite of red and "hotter" than blue. So....

Darth Vader uses red because he's evil. Obi-wan uses blue because he's good. And Luke uses green because he is Vader's opposite, yet more prone to anger than Ben.

As for the books, while Lucas says they are cannon, I still think of them as separate as from the movies. I think by the time they started coming out regularly, George didn't plan on doing anything else with the series, so he pretty much let them do whatever they wanted.

As an interesting side note, if lightsabre color does have symbolic meaning in the movies, then that leaves Mace Windu's allegiance in question. Just a thought.

Darth Entropy

6. joe-da

joe-da Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    That sounds groovy.

7. DarthThanatosis

DarthThanatosis Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2002
    I knew there was something up with that guy. So, either Mace has found a neutrality in the Force (Purple being red and blue together) OR that lightsaber is just way to colorful, meaning that Mace might be alittle "funny"? Of course, I'm only saying that because some people like Mace Windu and the color purple alittle too much. Or is it just Violet he likes? Hmm. Anyway, I figure Mace is going to be killed by Ani right before Kenobi opens up a can of some Jedi Whoop-Ass on Ani. What do you think of Mace Windu now, eh? Bong!

Ha, ha, ha

Darth Thanatosis

8. Sinuuan

Sinuuan Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2002
    Well, I think that Boba Fett may seek revenge on Mace Windu for the death of his father.

9. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    First of all Janga's clone Boba will not be experienced or just plain good enough by Episode III to take on Mace. Think of the experience Janga had and he lasted all of three seconds not a good prospect for Boba.

Now on to the weak willed who take shameless pop shots at Mace and the color Violet. Come on, we all know Mace is a bad mofo ( it says so on the handle of his lightsaber ) and to think he has found a balance in the force is somewhat skewed. Jedi are suppose to be tranquil and at peace ( read neutral )and if Obi-wan Kenobi is suppose to be the ideal Jedi given in the sample Entropy gave above then Mace would be some where off from neutral but not quite as gunho evil as Sith. Something else, something different... but prehaps more dangerous and deadly.

Now on to Anakin... he is unusally strong in the force and could have a chance against Mace if not for one thing. Anakin is still consdered a Padwan Learner and does not understand nor have the control Mace does of the Force. And let's face it, Anakin is good at slaughtering primative people but he got spanked when he tried to go one on one against someone who knew how to weild a lightsaber.

If Mace falls in Episode III I expect to see him go out like Anakin Solo or Guner(sp) in The New Jedi Order Series. Just a thought.

Lod Reh Sajon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

10. slpkntsysmoadwn

slpkntsysmoadwn Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2002
    Darth thanatosis... what's up with you ragging on Mace for having a purple blade, huh? He'd still whoop your tail anyday of the week, twice on sunday, bloody sabbath. HAHAHA BONG!!!! what i'd like to see is Jay and Silent bob actually become jedi's and whoop some sith lord crack (man it sucks you cant cuss in here) peace out. everyone

May the force be with you,
    Alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.